Flesch-Kincaid grade level

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:34 pm
I used Microsoft Wordxp to check out the Flesch-Kincaid grade level of the paragraph below, and got "10.2", which is higher than a briefing in today's Chicago Trubune homepage (see the quote below). I wonder if Flesch-Kincaid grade level examination is reliable.

(Now, please the following paragraph written by me, tell me if it is worthy of level 10.2)

The brocaded swordsman was stricken by four swords, and dropped dead immediately. His eyes opened broadly, and his mouth opened widely, too.
The four blue-coated swordsmen pulled out their swords from the body at the same time, and raised their left foot, putting their blooded swords under sole, dragged to clean the remains of blood. With a whoosh they had scabbarded their swords. Not to mention the act was so clear, it is most hard-won that they did it in a perfect order -- simultaneously raising feet, simultaneously dragging swords to remove bloodstains , and simultaneously scabbarding and only causing a bit noise.

(Level: 10.2)

Quote:
When he learned a few weeks ago that Crystal Gonzalez needed a new kidney, Jimmy Hatton felt frustrated he couldn't help. On Wednesday, Jimmy died after collapsing from what family members said was a brain aneurysm. And on Thursday, his kidney was transplanted into Crystal's body.
(Level: 9.8)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,554 • Replies: 15
No top replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 12:46 am
I checked out one of Setanta's post. He got hightest level: 12.

The post:

Quote:
Although amusing, the site had an air of correcting the speech patterns of Americans. It is an absurdity to expect that a nation with five times to population of Merry Old ought to conform to the linguistic predilections of the said nation . . .

We speak a markedly different language, even if the two are in general mutually comprehensible. Among Americans, it is considered bad form to correct the speech of another, so long as their meaning is comprehensible. If it is not, courtesy requires one to inquire politely until the meaning is comprehended. Most Americans are too polite to mention it, but the habit of Brits of correcting American speech makes them appear to be a set of ill-bred, ill-mannered rubes when they do so in this country.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 12:56 am
Maybe so Ori, but did anybody comprehend what he wrote?
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 01:14 am
Hi panzade,

Did you mean Setanta's post quoted in here? The meaning of the post is so clear that I doubt any native English speaker could not understand it. Very Happy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 01:29 am
Ok, just checking
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:30 am
And the result? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:41 am
oristarA wrote:
Hi panzade,

Did you mean Setanta's post quoted in here? The meaning of the post is so clear that I doubt any native English speaker could not understand it. Very Happy

This native english speaker does not know what a rube is and so I propose to deduct 1 from Set's score. Very Happy
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:48 am
oristarA wrote:
I checked out one of Setanta's post. He got hightest level: 12.

The post:

Quote:
Although amusing, the site had an air of correcting the speech patterns of Americans. It is an absurdity to expect that a nation with five times to population of Merry Old ought to conform to the linguistic predilections of the said nation . . .

We speak a markedly different language, even if the two are in general mutually comprehensible. Among Americans, it is considered bad form to correct the speech of another, so long as their meaning is comprehensible. If it is not, courtesy requires one to inquire politely until the meaning is comprehended. Most Americans are too polite to mention it, but the habit of Brits of correcting American speech makes them appear to be a set of ill-bred, ill-mannered rubes when they do so in this country.

Hey which thread was that on, Oristar? I must have missed it.

Let me know please. I can make some mischief there, hee hee.

McT
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 06:23 am
Hello McTag,

I'd exactly figure out what "mischief" meant here before telling you the link? Very Happy

I've seen such a sentence:

There is carelessness, but no mischief.

But the first and second definition of "mischief" in AHD:

(1) Behavior that causes discomfiture or annoyance in another.

(2) An inclination or a tendency to play pranks or cause embarrassment.

So, I could figure it out to a certainty in the context that you spoke.

The post is here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=879632#879632
0 Replies

Mister Micawber

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 06:44 am
An Interesting Application
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 12:34 pm
Good finding, MM. Very Happy

Gotta love Kennedy and Nixon's inaugural.
0 Replies

cheese123

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 01:59 pm
*Chuckles*
Did you notice the trend in the chart i.e. declining f-k grade level in inaugaral speeches. Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:52 pm
What chart, where?

I don't know anything about this chart.

Please inform me.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:58 pm
@McTag: Very Happy

http://www.yourdictionary.com/about/flesch.html

Cheese123, of course I noticed that, that is why I just mentioned Kennedy and Nixon's inaugural, and ignoring to mention so many presidents in history have made those excellent inaugurals.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:06 pm
Thanks, I'll have a look at that later.

I just thought, Flesch or Fleisch is German and Kincaid is Irish, so what good could come of that?

:wink:

(No offence, I know Dr Johnson was Irish.)
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 08:12 am
Oristar, The Flesch-Kincaid reading level scores are based primarily on vocabulary and sentence length. I suspect that your score was as high as it was because you used a number of fairly obscure terms. Setanta's was high because his sentences were long and complex.
0 Replies