Why Past Simple instead of Continuous ?

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2016 07:24 pm
Hello. English is my second language and there's still things I get confused about. Things I understand, but can't exactly find explanations for.

I'm interested in this passage and why the sentences there use Simple Past tense instead of Past Continuous.

------------
" The wind howled. Lightning stabbed at the earth erratically, like an inefficient assassin. Thunder rolled back and forth across the dark, rain-lashed hills.

The night was as black as the inside of a cat. It was the kind of night, you could believe, on which gods moved men as though they were pawns on the chessboard of fate. In the middle of this elemental storm a fire gleamed among the dripping furze bushes like the madness in a weasel’s eye. It illuminated three hunched figures. As the cauldron bubbled an eldritch voice shrieked: “When shall we three meet again?” "
-------------

Sentences like "The wind howled" and "Thunder rolled back and forth" seem to me like they are continuous actions in the past. The wind still howled when the thunder rolled (back and forth seems like a continuous action to me...). I'm confused why they should be this way if the actions are not finished at the specific time. And then "It illuminated three..." - is this a continuous action or not?

Thanks in advance.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 460 • Replies: 0
No top replies