Osama Dun Bin Forgotten

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 12:01 pm
Clinton didn't swear to catch OBL while addressing the families of 9/11.

Bush did.

Now, answer my question, if you can.

We're not even talking about 'all the time' like you said. We're talking about at all. Bush doesn't mention OBL AT ALL.

Don't compare this to Clinton. I'm asking you, directly, what changed to make Bush stop talking about catching OBL over the last 2 years? To go from mentioning him frequently, talking about how important it is to catch him, to never mentioning him?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 12:12 pm
OBL is last week's news. They will resurrect the story when it suits.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 12:46 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Clinton didn't swear to catch OBL while addressing the families of 9/11.

Bush did.

Now, answer my question, if you can.

We're not even talking about 'all the time' like you said. We're talking about at all. Bush doesn't mention OBL AT ALL.

Don't compare this to Clinton. I'm asking you, directly, what changed to make Bush stop talking about catching OBL over the last 2 years? To go from mentioning him frequently, talking about how important it is to catch him, to never mentioning him?

Cycloptichorn

Bush brings up bin Laden from time to time, e.g. this speech in April:

"Osama bin Laden and his assortment of Islamic maniacs. The president's job is not to apologize. His job is to react; to pursue the people who did this thing ... and permanently remove them as a threat to our security and interests. "

Link: http://www.kmj580.com/articles/bush-speech.shtml

The fact is that you have no slightest clue as to what the government is doing to capture bin Laden, nor the degree of difficulty in doing so. Therefore, your assertion that we're not doing enough is a wild guess. The fact that Bush doesn't brag about the future capture of bin Laden proves nothing. The idea that we have a choice between action in Iraq or pursuing bin Laden, and cannot do both at once is laughable. Furthermore, it's clear that the government is doing numerous things to fight Al Qaeda, bin Laden's organization.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 12:59 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
"Osama bin Laden and his assortment of Islamic maniacs. The president's job is not to apologize. His job is to react; to pursue the people who did this thing ... and permanently remove them as a threat to our security and interests. "

Not sure if you noticed, Brandon - but that link does not lead to Mr. Bush saying anything about Bin Laden.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:00 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
You have no idea what the action is, and you have utterly failed to assess the degree of difficulty in your claim that the result shows negligence.

You're reaching, not to mention misrepresenting my argument. In fact, I was only saying that we don't have him. It's not my job to assess the degree of difficulty. I'm an information consumer. My president told me a few years ago that we were going to smoke him out of his hole. It hasn't happened yet and he's no longer talking tough about that. That's all I'm saying. No more, no less.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:01 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Not sure if you noticed, Brandon - but that link does not lead to Mr. Bush saying anything about Bin Laden.

I just went to the link, searched the browser page, and found the statement I excerpted above, which makes sense, since that's the page where I found the statement.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:02 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You have no idea what the action is, and you have utterly failed to assess the degree of difficulty in your claim that the result shows negligence.

You're reaching, not to mention misrepresenting my argument. In fact, I was only saying that we don't have him. It's not my job to assess the degree of difficulty. I'm an information consumer. My president told me a few years ago that we were going to smoke him out of his hole. It hasn't happened yet and he's no longer talking tough about that. That's all I'm saying. No more, no less.

Fair enough. I am only saying that the idea expressed in the thread that we're not trying or not trying competently is a guess.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:03 pm
You still cannot answer a simple question, Brandon.

I'm not interested in your opinion about whether my beliefs about how the country is being run are valid or not. Just answer the simple question.

What changed to make Bush stop talking about Bin Laden? From mentioning him every week, or every day, to talking about him a handful of times per year (Zero mentions at the RNC, Zero in any of his state of the Union addresses)?

It's a simple question. Can you answer it?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:04 pm
Read it, Brandon. I did. I wondered why Bush was referring to the presidency in the third person. He didn't.

Quote:
By the Numbers

So far in 2004, Bush has mentioned Osama bin Laden by name on eight occasions -- and he once answered a question about bin Laden without himself using bin Laden's name.

(By contrast, he has mentioned Saddam Hussein's name on about 125 occasions during the same period.)

In 2003, Bush mentioned bin Laden on two occasions, and three times answered questions about bin Laden without himself using bin Laden's name. (By contrast, he mentioned Saddam Hussein about 190 times.)

Special thanks to Mike Snyder of washingtonpost.com, who contributed to the research. Here are the database "hits" for bin Laden:

try looking here - there are links to transcripts through the white house available as well
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:21 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You still cannot answer a simple question, Brandon.

I'm not interested in your opinion about whether my beliefs about how the country is being run are valid or not. Just answer the simple question.

What changed to make Bush stop talking about Bin Laden? From mentioning him every week, or every day, to talking about him a handful of times per year (Zero mentions at the RNC, Zero in any of his state of the Union addresses)?

It's a simple question. Can you answer it?

Cycloptichorn

Not being psychic, I can't. Maybe he would rather not say much about it until we get him. Maybe he's decided it makes more sense to focus his comments on Al Qaeda than on its leader. Maybe its because our effort involves a government which would prefer not to have its role revealed. Maybe any one of a thousand reasons. Your assertion, or implication that the actual true reason is because we aren't trying hard anymore to catch him is unsupported by any facts I believe you have.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:31 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Read it, Brandon. I did. I wondered why Bush was referring to the presidency in the third person. He didn't....

Yes, he did. The quotation is from his response to a reporters question about 9/11 at a press conference:
http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1117343/posts

ehBeth wrote:
...In 2003, Bush mentioned bin Laden on two occasions...

I frankly don't care how much he brags about eventually capturing him. I only care about what actions are taken. If you'd like to try and prove that only minor efforts or incompetent efforts are being taken to catch OBL, go ahead. You liberals have a thousand accusations, but when challenged, most of them amount to zero.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:34 pm
I believe the president has a unique role in setting the national agenda.

I believe that he used to talk about Bin Laden a lot, but he doesn't anymore.

When someone talks about something a lot, and then ceases to discuss it, it is a good sign that their priorities have changed.

Your belief is that they aren't talking about it to 'avoid tipping off Bin Laden.' Which doesn't really make any sense, but okay.

My belief is that they are embarassed by their failure to follow through on their promises. This makes a lot of sense; people don't like to talk about things they are embarassed of.

Given to an impartial judge, which do you think they would say is more likely?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:37 pm
I thought it was the general consensus by the liberal elite that Osama had been captured already and that the Bush administration was just waiting for the right crisis to wheel him out?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:38 pm
Well, that's always a possibility, McG. I wouldn't put it past 'em.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:39 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I thought it was the general consensus by the liberal elite that Osama had been captured already and that the Bush administration was just waiting for the right crisis to wheel him out?

Most of us say this jokingly...
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:39 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I believe the president has a unique role in setting the national agenda.

I believe that he used to talk about Bin Laden a lot, but he doesn't anymore.

When someone talks about something a lot, and then ceases to discuss it, it is a good sign that their priorities have changed.

Your belief is that they aren't talking about it to 'avoid tipping off Bin Laden.' Which doesn't really make any sense, but okay.

My belief is that they are embarassed by their failure to follow through on their promises. This makes a lot of sense; people don't like to talk about things they are embarassed of.

Given to an impartial judge, which do you think they would say is more likely?

Cycloptichorn

This is all irrelevant fluff. The assertion was that we're not doing much to pursue OBL or not doing it well. If you wish to make the assertion, then provide a smattering of evidence to back it up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:40 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
[ If you'd like to try and prove that only minor efforts or incompetent efforts are being taken to catch OBL, go ahead.

Oh, goodie. This is one of my personal favourites.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:41 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
[ If you'd like to try and prove that only minor efforts or incompetent efforts are being taken to catch OBL, go ahead.

Oh, goodie. This is one of my personal favourites.

I assume this means that you have such evidence. I will be interested in seeing it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:45 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
You liberals ...

Thanks. Proud to be one.

Quote:

Meaning of LIBERAL
Pronunciation: 'liburul

WordNet Dictionary

Definition: [n] a person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties
[n] a person who favors an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets
[adj] tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition

See Also: adult, grownup, latitudinarian, left, neoliberal, pluralist, Whig

Webster's 1913 Dictionary

Definition: \Lib"er*al\ (l[i^]b"[~e]r*al), a. [F. lib['e]ral, L.
liberalis, from liber free; perh. akin to libet, lubet, it
pleases, E. lief. Cf. {Deliver}.]
1. Free by birth; hence, befitting a freeman or gentleman;
refined; noble; independent; free; not servile or mean;
as, a liberal ancestry; a liberal spirit; liberal arts or
studies. `` Liberal education.'' --Macaulay. `` A liberal
tongue.'' --Shak.

2. Bestowing in a large and noble way, as a freeman;
generous; bounteous; open-handed; as, a liberal giver. ``
Liberal of praise.'' --Bacon.

Infinitely good, and of his good As liberal and free
as infinite. --Milton.

3. Bestowed in a large way; hence, more than sufficient;
abundant; bountiful; ample; profuse; as, a liberal gift; a
liberal discharge of matter or of water.

His wealth doth warrant a liberal dower. --Shak.

4. Not strict or rigorous; not confined or restricted to the
literal sense; free; as, a liberal translation of a
classic, or a liberal construction of law or of language.

5. Not narrow or contracted in mind; not selfish; enlarged in
spirit; catholic.

6. Not bound by orthodox tenets or established forms in
political or religious philosophy; independent in opinion;
not conservative; friendly to great freedom in the
constitution or administration of government; having
tendency toward democratic or republican, as distinguished
from monarchical or aristocratic, forms; as, liberal
thinkers; liberal Christians; the Liberal party.

{The liberal arts}. See under {Art}.

{Liberal education}, education that enlarges and disciplines
the mind and makes it master of its own powers,
irrespective of the particular business or profession one
may follow.

Syn: Generous; bountiful; munificent; beneficent; ample;
large; profuse; free.

Usage: {Liberal}, {Generous}. Liberal is freeborn, and
generous is highborn. The former is opposed to the
ordinary feelings of a servile state, and implies
largeness of spirit in giving, judging, acting, etc.
The latter expresses that nobleness of soul which is
peculiarly appropriate to those of high rank, -- a
spirit that goes out of self, and finds its enjoyment
in consulting the feelings and happiness of others.
Generosity is measured by the extent of the sacrifices
it makes; liberality, by the warmth of feeling which
it manifests.

\Lib"er*al\, n.
One who favors greater freedom in political or religious
matters; an opponent of the established systems; a reformer;
in English politics, a member of the Liberal party, so
called. Cf. {Whig}.

i'll be back to edit this later. didn't mean to post the whole swag.
gotta run. literally.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 01:53 pm
Wanna here the McGentrix definition? Twisted Evil
0 Replies