Osama Dun Bin Forgotten

Harper

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:09 am
Well now that the New York Hatefest is over, was the name Osama Bin Laden mentined even once at the podiium?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,032 • Replies: 58
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:53 am
I'm curious, too...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:54 am
Who's he?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:56 am
Mentions of Kerry during the RNC: 40+

Mentions of OBL: 0

That should tell you something about the admin's priorities.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:07 am
Oh THAT Osama bin Laden. Well he must be among the 1/4 of Al Qaida that Bush admits he hasn't killed or imprisoned.

It sounds better the other way round 3/4 killed or captured. Wow. thats 75%, Grade A, the world is a safer place thanks to our Georgie.

How does he know? Could it really be 3/4 and not 5/8 or 1/2?

Maybe it was 9/11. Thats it. OBL is among the 2/11 that Georgie hasnt found or killed or captured yet.

But you gotta start killing and capturing somewhere and OBL is HIDING
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:23 am
Anyone have the ghost of an idea what the government is doing to try to capture bin Laden? If you're criticizing the effort as insufficient, I presume that you have a good general knowledge of what the effort is.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:24 am
How can we, Brandon? It's never discussed.

It USED to be discussed. Back when the admin thought they would catch him they talked about it all the time, every week. Now they NEVER mention OBL. Coincidence? Nope.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:27 am
So, in other words, you don't have the tiniest idea whether the government is working on it very hard and being very clever about it, or doing virtually nothing. I am assuming that you are dismissing the idea that some of the effort to capture bin Laden is secret in order to prevent the target from hearing the plan.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:27 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Anyone have the ghost of an idea what the government is doing to try to capture bin Laden? If you're criticizing the effort as insufficient, I presume that you have a good general knowledge of what the effort is.

We know that the priority has shifted to Iraq and that in 3 years they haven't 'smoked him out of his hole'. I guess it's possible that they already have him and they are hiding him until just before the election.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:30 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

We know that the priority has shifted to Iraq and that in 3 years they haven't 'smoked him out of his hole'. I guess it's possible that they already have him and they are hiding him until just before the election.

Translation: You have no idea of whether they're working in it tirelessly or not at all.

I guess you have dismissed the idea that they might be working on both Iraq and OBL simultaneously.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:30 am
Okay, Brandon, so all those months that we did talk about getting OBL in the news media, we were really tipping him off to what was happening and shouldn't have said anything?

You think that the president would tip off Bin Laden by saying, simply, 'we haven't forgotten about those who attacked us on 9/11, and OBL will be caught and punished?'

How does that tip anyone to anything? The alternative is much more likely; that the admin hasn't been able to find him, and they don't want to bring it up because it's an embarassment for them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:34 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Okay, Brandon, so all those months that we did talk about getting OBL in the news media, we were really tipping him off to what was happening and shouldn't have said anything?

To the extent that anyone was outlining some aspect of the technique for catching him, it would give him a greater chance of escape.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You think that the president would tip off Bin Laden by saying, simply, 'we haven't forgotten about those who attacked us on 9/11, and OBL will be caught and punished?' How does that tip anyone to anything?

Proves nothing.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
The alternative is much more likely; that the admin hasn't been able to find him, and they don't want to bring it up because it's an embarassment for them.

The purest speculation. You haven't a trace of an idea what the government is doing to catch him.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:38 am
Neither do you. But you have a right to. The government has a responsibility to report to it's citizens what it does with their money and trust.

They don't have to go into specifics. It would be enough to say 'we are gonna get OBL.' That wouldn't tip anyone off to anything.

But by not talking about it, the president removes the topic from the media; they don't cover clips of the president talking about it, they focus on other aspects of his agenda, they talk about Iraq.

You are really grasping at strings here to suggest that the merest mentioning of OBL's name would tip him off that we were 'secretly' planning on catching him.

Bush used to mention OBL all the time.

Bush mentioned Saddam every day before he was caught.

You can make up whatever silly justifications you need for why the pres. isn't talking about it, but the fact is, he hasn't been caught, and this is an embarassment for an admin who swore to catch him.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:41 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Translation: You have no idea of whether they're working in it tirelessly or not at all.

I guess you have dismissed the idea that they might be working on both Iraq and OBL simultaneously.

Oh, I'm sure they're working on it. I'm just saying that the talk doesn't match the actions -- or at least the results. As Kerry said, all hat, no cattle.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:44 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You are really grasping at strings here to suggest that the merest mentioning of OBL's name would tip him off that we were 'secretly' planning on catching him.

I never suggested that the merest mention would tip him off. I have, however suggested that revealing our approach would increase his chances of escape.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You can make up whatever silly justifications you need for why the pres. isn't talking about it, but.....

The fact that the president doesn't say, "We're gonna catch Osama" frequently doesn't prove or suggest anything at all.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
...the fact is, he hasn't been caught, and this is an embarassment for an admin who swore to catch him.

Failure to accomplish some action within 3 years proves incompetence if and only if doing so would have been easy. Clinton never captured him either, despite Al Qaeda attacks on America and American interests. The Nazi was criminal Josef Mengele was never found, despite an international effort continuing over decades.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:47 am
OBL could have been picked up in a few days if American forces wanted to. The whole point of the war on terror is not to win it, but to wage it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:48 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
OBL could have been picked up in a few days if American forces wanted to.

Evidence, please.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:53 am
Brandon,

Explain to me then why Bush used to mention OBL all the time, and now never does. Is it because OBL is no longer important? Or what?

It's not that the pres. doesn't say it frequently. It's that he doesn't talk about Bin Laden at all. Bush has mentioned him 6 times in the last year, and 4 times were in response to a direct question about what we are doing to find him.

6 time in a year is a gigantic change from when Bush used to mention him every week if not every day. What changed? Please tell me, Brandon, because it would appear as if Bush just doesn't want to talk about it; it's not as if he's any less dangerous, or gone away, or anything....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:54 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Oh, I'm sure they're working on it. I'm just saying that the talk doesn't match the actions -- or at least the results. As Kerry said, all hat, no cattle.

You have no idea what the action is, and you have utterly failed to assess the degree of difficulty in your claim that the result shows negligence.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:56 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon,

Explain to me then why Bush used to mention OBL all the time, and now never does. Is it because OBL is no longer important? Or what?

It's not that the pres. doesn't say it frequently. It's that he doesn't talk about Bin Laden at all. Bush has mentioned him 6 times in the last year, and 4 times were in response to a direct question about what we are doing to find him.

6 time in a year is a gigantic change from when Bush used to mention him every week if not every day. What changed? Please tell me, Brandon, because it would appear as if Bush just doesn't want to talk about it; it's not as if he's any less dangerous, or gone away, or anything....

Cycloptichorn

According to you:

Bush doesn't talk about OBL all the time = Bush isn't trying hard and competently to catch him.

Unjustified assumption. Clinton couldn't catch OBL. Numerous major international criminals are never apprehended.
0 Replies