Wedding Song Question

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:18 am
1. What was your first song?

Did you leave it at that or did you have a cake song, bouquet toss song, song you left the building to, etc?

Our first song (for right now) is George Straight, I cross my Heart.

I think it would be funny to have "Let's Get it On" by Marvin Gaye for the garter toss. Because soon after, the person with it has to put it on the person who caught the bouquet. Not sure though. My parents may not like that. Embarrassed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,077 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:05 am
How 'bout "Why don't we do it in the road?"

Laughing

We had The Mamas and the Papas'
"Dream a little dream of me"

I think Tom Waits "Little bit of Heaven" would be a nice wedding song, too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:08 am
We went with 'Someone to Watch Over Me', sung live by a local jazz artist we really like.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:09 am
Then Theresa from Canadian Idol had the nerve to ruin it for us on 'standard's night'.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:15 am
I'm not married, but if I do, my wedding song is going to be either "She Bangs" by Ricky Martin, or "Betterman" by Pearl Jam.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:21 am
She Bangs would work well for us if William Hung sang it, considering my mom is partial to Asians. I could imagine her getting up with her little Korean friends to dance just like him.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:22 am
Cute, slappy.

Ours was "True" by Spandau Ballet, but the stupid DJ forgot to bring the record (this is back when vinyl was still used for something other than siding). So, five minutes after our vows were taken, I made an executive decision and went with "Your Song" by Elton John. We now sorta consider both to be our wedding songs.

We didn't specify songs for other stuff and, in retrospect, perhaps we should've - the music for me to toss the bouquet was "Brick House" by The Commodores. Well, given my shape, that kinda fits, I suppose.

We didn't have a garter toss or garter putting on, which was all well and good, as my then-nine-year-old cousin caught the bouquet. I think the DJ played Sinatra's "Love and Marriage" (I think Married with Children was already on the air by then) when we cut the cake. The only thing we were really adamant about was that he was to not play the Rocky theme for anything.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:36 am
I've always like the idea of "Let's Give Them Something to Talk About", performed by the writer of the song, not Bonnie Raitt.

But then I'm not a big fan of anything traditional, other than, errrr, something (I'll think of it).
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:38 am
Those are great.

I'd like to incorporate:

Tony Bennett - The Best is Yet to Come
Frankie Vallie - Can't Take my Eyes off of You
Ryan Adams - Answering Bell

...but the FI seriously doesn't know any of those songs. I don't get it. He thinks none of his friends would either. He's older than me too. I told him he's the only person that wouldn't. Even after I played them for him, he didn't remember hearing them on the 10+ movies we watch with these songs in them. Turd.

We're also asking them to play (at no specific time):

UB40 - Only Fools Rush In
Garth Brooks - The Dance

(he's the country lover, not me)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:50 am
The Cure's "Love Song" is kinda interesting. It was covered recently, can't recall the name of the artist. And if you like UB40 there are the covers of "Can't Help Falling in Love with You" and "I Got You Babe". We were at a wedding recently where the song was "One Love" by Bob Marley.

One thing we did for our nuptials was learn what were the wedding songs for some of the people we're close to, so we also had the DJ play "Our Love is Here to Stay" and I think the other one might have been "Happy Together".
0 Replies

swestover

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:01 am
we had me and you by kenney chesney. sweet and sappy song Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:25 pm
My absolutely favorite wedding song was played for the "first dance" at the reception of two of my best friends. They were in their mid-to-late 40s at the time...both had gone through unhappy marriages when they were younger and had raised their children alone.

The wedding reception was held at a top floor restaurant downtown on the evening of the Fourth of July. They renamed it "Interdependence Day." As they slowly danced and Etta's voice soared, fireworks lit up the night sky outside the floor-to-ceiling windows. Everyone got big tears in their eyes. It was perfect.

At Last
~ Etta James

At last
my love has come along
my lonely days over
and life is like a song

Ooh At last
the skies above are blue
well my heart was wrapped up in clover
the night I looked at you

I found a dream
that I could speak to
a dream that I could call my own
I found a thrill
to press my cheek to
a thrill that I have never known

well

You smile
you smile
oh and then the spell was cast
and here we are in heaven
for you are mine at last

I found a dream
that I could speak to
a dream that I
could call my own
I found a thrill
to press my cheek to
a thrill that I have never known

well

You smile
you smile
oh and then the spell was cast
and here we are in heaven
for you are mine at last

ooo yea
you are mine
you are mine
at last
at last
at last
at last
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 02:36 pm
I love At Last. I can see why others cried.

I've always wanted Amazed by Lonestar for my first song, but changed my mind since the song had little meaning to my FI.

I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you
It just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
Baby I'm amazed by you

Every time our eyes meet
This feeling inside me
Is almost more than I can take
Baby when you touch me
I can feel how much you love me
And it just blows me away
I've never been this close to anyone or anything
I can hear your thoughts
I can see your dreams
I don't know how you do what you do
I'm so in love with you
It just keeps getting better
I wanna spend the rest of my life
With you by my side
Forever and ever
Every little thing that you do
Baby I'm amazed by you
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2004 10:14 am
When our friends Katja and Brian got married, Katja sang 'You've got a friend' for Brian in the church. Of course, that only works if you can really sing :-)
0 Replies