The Death of the Kerry Campaign

Brand X

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:07 am
Couldn't agree more.

Excerpt:

Quote:
The Death of the Kerry Campaign
Mark it down - at 11:58 p.m. on Sept. 2, John Kerry's campaign effectively ended. It ended in the wake of one of the finest convention speeches ever delivered by a presidential candidate, a speech delivered by Kerry's opponent. It ended in the wake of the release of several polls showing that just the first two days of the GOP convention in New York City had given the President a five to seven point bump, with more to come.

It ended in the wake of Americans seeing the spectacle of tens of thousands of unbathed, ungroomed, unsympathetic wretches crowding the streets of New York City, vandalizing property, shouting and displaying rank obscenities, and attacking police officers whose time would have been better spent preventing other, day-to-day criminal activity, of which the city has plenty. It ended in the wake of an array of speakers at the GOP convention revealing for the nation the real record of John Kerry, his record of complete unconcern for the nation's security and the well-being of its military, his record of defaming his fellow soldiers after his return from Vietnam, his sorry record of ignoring his duties on the Senate Intelligence Committee, even in the wake of repeated terrorist attacks on this nation during the 1990s.

And finally, it ended in a desperate, ill-considered rally in a town in Ohio. It ended when candidate Kerry decided to continue to focus this campaign on his four months in Vietnam, rather than what he plans to do in the next four years if elected. It ended with his series of incredibly dishonest and petty personal attacks on the Vice President and President of the United States.

Midnight rallies like this are what sure losing candidates do in the waning days of a campaign, designed to keep their supporters' chins up in the face of certain defeat. The sort of heated, dishonest, hyperbolic rhetoric employed by Sen. Kerry last night is the sort used by fringe candidates seeking just a little media attention, not by major party candidates hoping to win.

The very best thing that happened to Mr. Kerry last night was that only MSNBC chose to carry his rally live, meaning that it was witnessed by only perhaps 400,000 viewers.

But the death of the Kerry Campaign is manifest not by how many people witnessed the pathetic event, but that the event happened at all. It is manifest not by how many people listened to all the hyperbole and vicious attacks, but by the fact that that speech was even written, much less uttered in public.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,592 • Replies: 26
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:42 am
hardly a fine speech by Bush, but , really, he didnt have to do anything but keep the fear level turned up and keep that aspect the only issue out there in front of the electorate. It may be that its going to work. I certainly hope not because 4 more years of this will result in a complete exhaust of the national treasury.

When half the country (or more) has no confidence in this mans ability in everything except "hte war on terror" (and much of that success is spin and lies anyway) Then I believe he should be replaced .This election is a poll on his performance overall, not just one issue that his handlers want to showcase
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:45 am
I can only say I am going to enjoy returning to this thread on November 3rd.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:52 am
I think I heard it give a wheeze last night around midnight. More of a death wheeze than anything else...
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:06 am
How desperate are you, starting a thread by posting the rant of some delusional anonymous Bush apologist who calls him/herself Eyes of Teaxs?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:07 am
The only wheezing I've been hearing is coming from NYC. Or maybe that's a huffing. Thankfully, it's over with.

The rich white folks can go back home now...
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:36 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I can only say I am going to enjoy returning to this thread on November 3rd.

I doubt it.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:39 am
The desperation is Kerry's and Kerry's alone. Did anyone happen to watch CNN last night after the speech? If you did, you saw that even they were impressed with the relaxed and charming posture of Mr. Bush. His humor, wit and grace was not lost on them, even as they struggled to focus on Kerry's midnight madness.

I'm also going to enjoy returning to this thread...along with a couple of others.

What Kerry doesn't get and never will is something President Bush has known all along and demonstrated again last night. He doesn't need to get voters mad at Kerry as long as he can get them to laugh at Kerry. And, again, he did it with wit, grace and charm. Homerun.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:42 am
They definitely hammered the themes in last night. Character, children, patriotism, children, safety, children, 911, children, etc...
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:43 am
I didn't catch the gigolo last night, and friends tell me I should have. They tell me the gigolo looked and sounded like he was either drunk or on drugs, that his "speech" amounted to a long-winded and incoherent rant which was so embarassing to the demmy side that a couple of networks which had started to cover it dropped out.

Basically, the gigolo has never had to face any real adversity in life and does not know how to handle it. Like all bullies and idiots, he's much better at dishing it out than at taking it, and it was pretty obvious. Apparently, those who saw it got a glimpse of how the gigolo might be expected to act in some sort of a high-stress situation, and the glimpse was enough to strongly indicate that a Kerry presidency would be a horrific disaster.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:43 am
Oh, I think we might.

If Kerry's speech was seen by 400k people last night, good. That's not a small number.

Of course many more watched Bush. But he just trotted out the same dog-and-pony show he always does.

I noted that he failed completely to explain HOW he planned to do any of his goals; he just outlined the goals. The only one he went into detail about, really, was in 'keeping America the best place to do business in the world,' which he planned to accomplish how?

That's right boys and girls: lower corporate taxes, less regulation, and making the tax cuts permanent. Exactly what you would expect from someone who works more with business interests than he ever did with the people...

It was a good speech overall if a little thin of content. I thought his applause pauses were ridiculously long and overdone, but what can ya do? People like to clap and he likes the home audience to see a lot of clapping.

Two points I'll end on:

1. Anyone know what the deal is with the protestors that were rushed out?

2. My favorite moment of the night had to have been when Bush stated that 'The heart and soul of Conservative values isn't in Hollywood.' I had this eerie flashback to Schwarzanegger giving a speech just a while before, and the irony was overwhelming....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

steveH

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:46 am
It didn't hurt Bush that Americans got to see protesting democrats/Bush haters assaulting NYC police officers trying to keep order.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:53 am
I missed that part, what channel was it on?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:58 am
Please. Given the number of protestors (over a million over the course of the week) there was a relatively small amount of arrests - less than 2000.

The conclusion that one could draw from this is that the protests were overwhelmingly peaceful. You can try to spin it however you want, but the protests went very well for the Democrats.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:03 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The conclusion that one could draw from this is that the protests were overwhelmingly peaceful. You can try to spin it however you want, but the protests went very well for the Democrats.

Cycloptichorn

de Nile....

http://www.root.or.jp/nanta/etiopia/etiopia-image/blue-nile.JPG

My suggestion to some of you demmunists watching in dismay as the gigolo's campaign implodes here would be to ask yourselves how you (and the demmy party) came to such a pass.

The basic answer is that the dem party HAD more viable candidates than the gigolo (not that any RATIONAL person would vote for but easily more viable), but that the Clinton blackops squads torpedoed all of them to keep the way clear for H. Clinton's run for it in 08.

As you watch the dem party being swept into the trash bins of history in a 50-state blowout this november, remember to say

"Thank you, Slick!".
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:06 am
You can post oversized pictures all you want. That doesn't change the fact that less than .2% of protestors got arrested, which was the point of my piece.

You see, you didn't really respond to anything I said. You quoted me, and then proceeded to spew out your usual hate of democrats which we've all come to expect.

Try actually addressing someone's post when you quote them in the future. Idea #2: try to let go of the hate a little bit.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

steveH

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:08 am
I feel sorry for the dems. Didn't they learn anything from the Clinton era? Only MODERATE dems win the presidency. CLINTON, CARTER, etc.

Kerry? This guy is farther to the left than McGovern. Only Lieberman had a chance but his party has moved so far to the left that he didn't have a chance.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:10 am
Yes, letting go of the hate is a great suggestion for everyone on this forum, lefties, righties and in betweenies.
0 Replies

steveH

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:17 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
You can post oversized pictures all you want. That doesn't change the fact that less than .2% of protestors got arrested, which was the point of my piece.
Cycloptichorn

.2% is a FLAT OUT LIE. Care you quote your source? Michael Moore perhaps?

There were hundreds of protestors arrested. Many of them were VIOLENT protestors.

So why weren't there any violent republican protestors at the dems convention? Maybe they were too busy working at their job, attending college, taking their kids to school, etc.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:23 am
steveH wrote:
I feel sorry for the dems.

I don't. I think they're getting what they deserve.
0 Replies