How Many Members Would Prefer Homogeneity?

Miss L Toad

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 07:46 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
banned for a week for calling another WOODWORKER an "idiot" for using handcut dovetails .

Then the other guy chipped in ,"screw you". And the ripostes and raillery was on for young and old.

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 07:56 am
@Miss L Toad,
Quote:
Then the other guy chipped in ,"screw you".

You sure hit the nail on the head there.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, in the time since I have been here, we have disagreed many times. I think the recent thread about Jo Cox was the only time I was offended by what you said. In that case I told I was offended, and I move on after that.

I like having you around here. Usually you have intelligent arguments even when you disagree with me.

0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:13 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
If folks all started agreeing with me, I'd start to disagree with myself.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:51 am
@Miss L Toad,
Quote:
Then the other guy chipped in ,"screw you".
I've always maintained that Glued and screwed is best.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 11:12 am
@Leadfoot,
around here those dumass puns would abound. Over at that site,(remember, it is a woodworking site), the guy just disappeared for a MONTH.
That site is as staid and mildly interesting as PINTEREST. I caught 2 nice rainbows. I used to fish on the Arkansas river in Colo near canyon city and all I caught was LOGS an rattlesnkes.
You do any fishin bunky?
Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 01:30 pm
@farmerman,
They must take their cabinet making damn serious.
Going fishing for the first time ever when I get back to FL. Brother bought a place with a boat house and lift. Otherwise, I'm too impatient with all the overhead of fishing to do it. Only thing I've caught here is a couple of rattle snakes. The Arkansas is for rafting this time of year . Just watched the semifinals for nationals competition.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 01:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
Fishing is the practicd art of persuasion. Fish need to be teased into striking and , on good days, its never boring.

We own a small wooded section of about 20 acres along the Octoraro Creek and its all good shaded fishing area. I can walk to my trout and bass hole in a few minutes and have a few hours of good fun. My fathers Day present included a new fly outfit.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 02:35 pm
@farmerman,
Used to go fishing at the local park lake when we were kids growing up in Sacramento. When I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area, a friend had a boat, so we went fishing from the Golden Gate Bridge to Alcatraz Island (floating) to catch striped bass. In those days, we ate sashimi, but I wouldn't trust the water in that area any more.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:01 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I can walk to my trout and bass hole in a few minutes
Now that would get me to try fish'n more often.

I've never been very good at that persuasion part though. Are fish easier than people :-)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 03:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I have often read newspaper editorials, and wonder how some of them would stand up to challenges on a2k.
sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:29 pm
@roger,
I have too!

And I definitely prefer heterogeneity. I don't have a lot of conservative friends on Facebook, and those tend to fall into two groups. One group is just wackjobs and just… no. (Really I have only one of those, a cousin who I've been on the verge of unfriending many times. He's reasonably civil when I do decide to engage in debate, but has no actual arguments. He just kinda posts memes that are tangentially related.) The other group is reasonable but they don't really want to talk politics.

And I want to know how my opinions stand up to intelligent rebuttals. (If my opinions don't stand up to intelligent rebuttals, then my opinions will likely change. I'm more interested in the truth, whatever that may be, than being right per se.)
oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:40 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
and Ive learned to understand how most people like he and David see that the second amendment is beyond the law .

The entire Constitution is superior to ordinary laws.

I miss David. He and I used to PM each other about gun litigation. It was probably half of my activity here on a2k.

farmerman wrote:
I have learned a whole lot and have adjusted my opinions (not about the desire for change-but about the methodology that will have to be employed to achieve such change)

I wonder. Do you understand that assault weapons bans do nothing but ban harmless cosmetic features like pistol grips?

I've always assumed that you understood this. But maybe I've been wrong.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 05:35 pm
@sozobe,
Did u know u are unique? Most people, once committed to religious or political belief, do not change. They become stronger in their belief when faced with facts that are counter to that belief.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-people-fly-from-facts/
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:15 pm
@oralloy,
do you consider that the receivers capable of carrying 50 shot "banana clips" as merely cosmetic? I sure as hell dont. Thats integral to the Semi auto's draw to the doofi.

What I dont understnd, as a gun owner, why should someone who has clear mental issues (or ,as recently discussed, is on a no fly list) be able to purchase and own such weapons that can make the meaning of :spray and pray" a local more- frequent event .
Several reasonable laws and changes to laws under the Second Amendment (SIMILAR TO the NFA that you seem to love to ignore) have included control of sheer numbers of cyclic gun purchases by "Collectors", or reporting stolen guns within 48 hours of noticing the theft. These, have all been dropped by state legislatures who fear the power of the NRA's yanking their largess to the legislators reelection chests. I can see that the inexorable minds of the super Amendment 2 fans, will change via generational evolution.(the second amendment "uber alles" guys will have to die off in order for the evolution to work. The NRA has become much of the problem, and its all done by lies, intimidation, and mind washing of the doofi and state and fed Congress.
I was an NRA member until sometime in the Heston years when it stopped being a "Safe hunter" and technical skills club nd became a lobby built on preservation of gun makers.

Where are all these "Good guys with guns" who Lapierre says can protect everyone from "Bd Guys with guns". Gun owners (like me) carry often and Ive not been in a free fire situation in over 30 years. Were I depressed or gradually losing it, Id hope my "gun ownership rights" would be curtailed.

PS the Constitution defines the bases of our laws under the prmble. It does not set aside changing circumstances that require changes in the Constitution. The last two originalists on the SUpreme Court are the late Mr Scalia, and the ever present (but silent) Mr Thomas.

PS, I loved talking with Dave also. BUT... talk about intractable inexorability, his face appears in the phrase lex. Although I enjoyed the discourse, he would occasionally leave the planet and return to the mother-ship returning to the place from which his libertarian family arose.
I got him to admit that chaos is waay better than having any firearm regulations that could be shredded by some silly assward interpretation of the Second Amendment.

He was the one I originally accused of being so much a rabid fan of the second amndment over the fifth commandment.
farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 06:21 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
I want to know how my opinions stand up to intelligent rebuttals. (If my opinions don't stand up to intelligent rebuttals, then my opinions will likely change. I'm more interested in the truth, whatever that may be, than being right per se.)
perfect summary. Howver, nowadays my dealings with rabid second amendment folks and some conservatives starts off with them telling me that they wont argue with me, they will juwt let me know why Im wrong.
Not much room for any discussion there.
I always wished I had a readout of how much that one person says, is actually doing to the frontal lobe of the other person in the debate.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:15 pm
@farmerman,

farmerman wrote:

Were I depressed or gradually losing it, Id hope my "gun ownership rights" would be curtailed.

I had no idea we were so different.
Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:37 pm
@roger,
If you start to wander in your mind, come here in one of your lucid moments and let us know, so we can avoid that corner or Nuevo Mexico, 'K?
roger

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 08:47 pm
@Setanta,
Do I sound dangerous? Cool beans.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 09:50 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
do you consider that the receivers capable of carrying 50 shot "banana clips" as merely cosmetic? I sure as hell dont.

Do you understand that assault weapons bans do not in any way ban such receivers?

The only things that are banned are thing like pistol grips and flash suppressors.

farmerman wrote:
What I dont understnd, as a gun owner, why should someone who has clear mental issues (or ,as recently discussed, is on a no fly list) be able to purchase and own such weapons that can make the meaning of :spray and pray" a local more- frequent event .

When "clear mental issues" is redefined to mean "anyone who wears glasses" then it is no longer a legitimate reason to prevent someone from having guns.

The no fly list is an unconstitutional monstrosity. People get put on it for no good reason and then they are not allowed to challenge the justness of their inclusion on the list, and are not even allowed to know why they have been put on the list in the first place.

farmerman wrote:
SIMILAR TO the NFA that you seem to love to ignore

How am I ignoring the NFA?