Help! Three confusing questions!

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:55 pm
Thanks a lot in advance!

1) What are the differences between "care for" and "care about"?

2) When the following sentence is said to a man, what does it mean?
Quote:
You look very smart.

3)
Quote:
I dislike singing and/or dancing.
"and" and "or", which one should I choose?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 844 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Owennu3

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:19 pm

Both these words are prepositional, and both are wanting a direct object because of the verb "care." Usually the word "for" is used when stating a preference about a subject.

Like this: "I don't care for peas." - It's meaning you don't like peas.

The word "about" is also stating a preference about a subject, but it is making a statement concerning the subject's entirety.

Like this: "I don't care about politics." - It means you don't like politics; but it could also mean that you don't like them and you refuse to admit they affect you in any way. Or it could mean that you refuse to pay attention to politics. The difference between the two is very slight. I think 'about' is a stronger statement.

2. "Smart" is an adjective describing someone's appearance. It means you look distinguished, well dressed, dashing, something to that effect. Or, it could also mean what it says literally: you look like an intelligent person.

3. Which one you choose here depends on what you want to say. "Or" means you dislike one or the other, but not both, depending on the situation. "And" means you dislike both at the same time. So which you choose depends on what it is you really dislike. If you dislike both combined, say "and." If you dislike one at a time, say "or."
0 Replies

ilovequestions

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:44 pm
Thanks a million, Owennu3.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 12:07 am
I thank you too, Owennu3. I was going to take a crack at 2 and 3, but you did them all, and better. Welcome to a2k, by the way.
0 Replies

Maggie5554515

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 05:19 am
A small adition:)
On the 1. question: Usually "care for" and "care about" have the same meaning. There are situations however in which, as far as i know, both expressions aren't substitutable. The basic difference is that "care about" means "be interested about sth", and "care for" is "look after sb."
On the 3. question: In normal speech the phrase "I dislike singing or dancing." would practically have no sense. You can write this in a test or in an written interview... These are certainly special cases. But if you talk to someone, the correct versions will be:
- I dislike singing and dancing. or
- I dislike singing. or
- I dislike dancing.
And by the way - this "dislike" is also not very common in normal speech. You'd better say "don't like"Smile.
0 Replies