Who Will Hillary Pick for Veep?

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 01:28 pm
Heh, the conservatives are already calling Kaine a pro-abortion Catholic hypocrite.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 01:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
Heh, which ones?
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 02:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Huckabee, for one.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 03:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
But you wrote "conservatives"
snood

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 06:14 pm
The Tim Kaine Primer:
Seven Things You Should Know About the VP Pick

1. Kaine is currently the junior senator from Virginia, having been elected in 2012 after Jim Webb retired. Before that he served as the governor, lieutenant governor, and mayor of Richmond.

2. He’s Catholic, but interestingly, still pro-choice. While he has previously admitted to having “a faith-based opposition to abortion” he also says, “Roe vs. Wade is ultimately about saying that there is a realm of personal liberty for people to make this decision” and “I don’t think ultimately we ought to be criminalizing abortion.”

3. One of the things that put Kaine over the edge in terms of a strong VP pick is the fact that he’s from Minnesota, but has served Virginia, which should help strengthen Clinton’s position in battleground states in both the South and Midwest.

4. He speaks fluent Spanish — he has delivered speeches on the Senate floor in Spanish.

5. Kaine supports strong action on climate change, decrying both climate change deniers and what he has termed “leadership deniers,” politicians who believe in climate change but don’t believe the U.S. should take a leadership role in reducing the world’s carbon footprint. “They say look, even if we reduce U.S. emission to zero, it wouldn’t offset world emissions unless China or India did something, and so let’s just not do anything,” Kaine said. “That is just not the American way, folks, for us not to lead on something important like that.”

6. He’s been married to his wife, Anne Bright Holton, since 1984. They met while at Harvard Law and she is currently serving as the Secretary of Education in Virginia. The couple has three children together.

7. Kaine is a member of the Senate Armed Forces Committee, and opposed the Obama administration’s efforts to use the existing Authorization for Use of Military Force to expand action against ISIS in Iraq. At the time, he wrote in the Washington Post, “Ultimately, the allocation of war powers is based on a value. The nation should not send U.S. service members into harm’s way unless there is a consensus among the civilian leadership — executive and legislative — that the mission is worth it. Ordering people to risk their lives without Washington doing the work necessary to reach a political consensus is immoral.”

http://www.salon.com/2016/07/23/your_tim_kaine_vp_primer_7_things_you_should_know_about_hillary_clintons_running_mate/
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 06:32 pm
@InfraBlue,
But they are wrong.

I see that he has modified his stance on all this over some years, but so have many people. I like where he is. I used to be Catholic, back in the doddering roman empire days. I have, for many years, been pro choice but not for me.
I don't have any clue how many ex catholics (me, long time atheist) retain reluctance for themselves but grant abortion rights to others. I bet it is a fair number.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 06:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
James Freeman of the Wall Street Journal, for two.
snood

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 06:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
Yup, two definitely qualifies you to use the plural form of conservative. No guarantee it will discourage the pedant, but good work.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 11:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I don't know anyone who is in favour of abortion. It's a choice of last resort, but it still should be a choice.
roger

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 12:18 am
@izzythepush,
Same here.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 02:43 pm
This just in Debbie Wasserman Schultz resigns as DNC chair Democratic party in disarray... Donna Brazile takes over as interim chair in an effort to shore up black vote for Billery Democrats worried about Sanders voters going over to Trump.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 04:22 pm
@InfraBlue,
Wow!

Two of them!

Keep digging, you may even be able to come up with five.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 06:13 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Wow!

Two of them!

Keep digging, you may even be able to come up with five.

I could probably count you as the sixth.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 06:32 pm
@izzythepush,
Doctors?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 03:48 am
@RABEL222,
Not Doctors who work for the NHS.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 08:04 pm
@izzythepush,
In the U S abortion doctors make make in the 6 figures in income.
roger

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 08:28 pm
@RABEL222,
Do they work for NHS, and how does that compare to other doctors' income?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 01:58 am
@roger,
Abortions are available free on the NHS. I don't think the doctors get paid any different from their colleagues, and they're very unlikely just to perform abortions either.

If you're a doctor who is only interested in making money there's far more lucrative opportunities in cosmetic surgery. I doubt very much that doctors choose to be abortionists for the money.
roger

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 02:04 am
@izzythepush,
Well, Rabel seemed to think they were in that end of the business for the money. Maybe he was wrong.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 02:10 am
@roger,
I don't know about American healthcare, but they're not in it for the money over here, and I doubt that would be the case over there either.