An Open Letter to A2K Members

Roberta

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 03:17 am
@FOUND SOUL,
1. I very rarely use the C word--depends on who I'm talking about. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I used it. However, I decide which words I use. I don't respond to the dictates of society.

2. Beef with the title? Of this thread? Who's F? I'm lost. Better to leave me lost.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 03:53 am
I liberally use both the F and C words. It's part and parcel of being a children's entertainer.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 04:00 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 08:17 am
Henry Miller blasted loose my natural aversion to C. Also to a bunch of other words and concepts.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 11:26 am
@edgarblythe,
That makes me think of the bloody stools in one of the Tropics, think it was Cancer but I might be wrong.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 11:12 pm
@Roberta,
I actually don't remember ever using the C word. Not because I would censor, but because I never saw a situation where it seemed to fit.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 01:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am said to be bitter because people are telling themselves I am bitter, on the political threads. A lot of it is attacking the messenger, if the message riles. I am not so bitter. Just honest and hard headed enough to fight for humanity. I am still doing and saying what I did when I marched for civil rights and against the Vietnam War. People have been lured away from idealism. It is not me that has changed a bit.

The major Civil Rights marches were a little bit before my time, but I too marched against the Vietnam War...more to the point, I marched against sending young men into a meat grinder with no intention of making their sacrifices worth something by actually trying to win the war. The first chink in my youthful liberal armor developed when I saw how many of my fellow "protesters" treated the returning young men who had already been ground up, especially if they had the temerity to defend their actions while there and the war in general.

I certainly never saw it or any further actions of mine as "fighting for humanity." That prevalent notion led to another chink. The principles within the grandiose rhetoric of "revolutionaries" and "activists" was very rarely evident in their personal lives and a lifetime spent carrying placards and chanting slogans may seem, to some, to be worthy of honor, but I'm not impressed.

I may have been the only one in the huge crowd marching in DC against the War, for whom, feeling cool and righteous about being there was a considerable source of motivation to participate, but I doubt it.

I suppose this somewhat misanthropic point of view can lead to charges that I am bitter too, and to an extent, I must agree with those who level them. Given the degree of hypocritical, sanctimonious bullshit that permeates all crusades (including the "fights for humanity") it's tough not to allow disappointment and disillusionment lead to some measure of cynicism and bitterness.

Still, I agree that you have, for the most part, been consistent in the views you've shared here...with the exception of anything that has to do with polite debate and accepting opposing views without rancor. This is something to value, and A2K wouldn't, for better or worse, be the same without you.

It's not easy to remain open to other ideas. If you are trying to be more open than you have been, that is something to value as well. Good luck.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2016 01:04 pm
I am for being more open. But not for sacrificing principles or forsaking liberalism.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 03:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I am for being more open. But not for sacrificing principles or forsaking liberalism.

Therein lies the rub though.

Close mindedness can easily be cloaked in preserving principles
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 04:00 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The title to your autobiography, surely.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 04:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good to see you how you've embraced change eddy
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 04:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I embraced change, but not surrender. Geeze and he calls me a grouch.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 04:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
So you think allowing a post of mine not directed towards you to pass without an insulting retort to be "surrender?"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 04:33 pm
I don't know what your motivation is here. It certainly does not appear to be friendly.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 06:13 pm
http://assets.amuniversal.com/fc1691500a7e0134639d005056a9545d
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 06:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://assets.amuniversal.com/fc1691500a7e0134639d005056a9545d
Hold on; I dropped a penny.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't know what your motivation is here. It certainly does not appear to be friendly.

Neither friendly nor hostile

This is hostile

Quote:
The title to your autobiography, surely.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You always put the ugly undercurrent when posting to me.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
So that's your excuse.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 01:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yep. You have posted ugly posts to me from the first time you ever addressed me and so I react accordingly.