Home-made school lunches have too much salt,sugar etc

Badboy

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:09 am
I understand from the Guardian today that too many (3 in 4) Home-made lunch boxes have too much salt and sugar in them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 847 • Replies: 10
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:12 am
That's probably accurate. A lot of it is hidden in condiments. Reading labels for ingredients is really important these days.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:05 am
Home-made School lunch boxes
One problem is sugarly drinks,cereal bars and chocolate.

MORE WATER,FRUITS AND VEGETABLE NEEDED.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:47 am
You are right there, Badboy.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:04 am
School lunches are worse. The options of pizza, nachos, hot dogs....chips, candy bars, pop....

I think home lunches are generally better.
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:10 am
I am beginning to dominate this forum.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:46 am
Badboy wrote:
I am beginning to dominate this forum.

You have been a bad boy Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:53 am
Kristie wrote:
School lunches are worse. The options of pizza, nachos, hot dogs....chips, candy bars, pop....

Those aren't options in a lot of school cafs - it's all about salad bars and fruit and juices - grilled meats etc. They don't allow pop or snack machines in a lot of schools now.

In my hometown - the vending machines at a couple of schools have fruit and bottled water.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:19 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Kristie wrote:

Those aren't options in a lot of school cafs - it's all about salad bars and fruit and juices - grilled meats etc. They don't allow pop or snack machines in a lot of schools now.

In my hometown - the vending machines at a couple of schools have fruit and bottled water.

The food in most of my schools (and these were good schools) was so groos that I was glad to have a pre-packaged food option. Not only was it disgusting tasting, but there was a hepatitis outbreak. I feel sorry for the kids not allowed to make their own lunch decisions. I'm sure none of the people making these decisions would be satisfied with eating -their- lunch in the school cafeterias.

That's one of the problems with buerocracy vs. competition. If there was competition between free vendors to provide healthy, tasty food to the students, it would happen. But buerocracy settles for whatever sounds politically ok and doesn't poison people most of the time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 05:48 pm
Sounds like you were part of a lousy school system, Portal Star.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 07:40 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Sounds like you were part of a lousy school system, Portal Star.

I went to two of what are considered the best high schools in Missouri, and Texas. The education was good, but the food sucked.
0 Replies