People of Compassion

revel

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:05 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
au1929 wrote:

au1929 wrote:
In addition he did not receive a mandate from the American people....

Brandon9000 wrote:
And, therefore, what?

Since he did not receive a mandate and in fact lost the popular vote it was obvious that at least 50% of the American people did not support him. Any logical and right thinking individual would not have ignored half the electorate as he has done and said it's my way or the highway. He did and that is why the country is as divided as it is. And that is why half the population of the US literally hates Bush. Again never in my memory have I ever seen the hatred of a sitting president as I have this one. A president if he is worth anything once elected must be president to all the people not just his constituents.

It is a very standard idea that a presidential candidate clearly states his political orientation, and then, as president, implements those policies he believes are right and necessary, regardless of whether he won by a significant majority or not. It is no vice for a president to use his own judgement and ethics, and no virtue to rule by polls.[/quote[/color]]

Bush did state state his political orientation, he was going to be a "compassionate conservative who will end partisan politics" Like all his other statements, this one turned out to be a lie or failed statement too.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:09 pm
Larry434 wrote:
Good point about Clinton and Reagan, dookie.

Clinton of course was never a liberal. As Michael Moore said, "he was the best Republican President we ever had".

And Reagan was a staunch conservative who appealed more to what the Dems used to be, ie., political moderates.

If you that that is an endorsement of your opinion of Bush's policies, I suggest you rethink it.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:12 pm
No why would I ever assume that you would endorse my opinion of Bush's policies? Since I don't assume that to be true, there is nothing to rethink, Larry434.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:15 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
No why would I ever assume that you would endorse my opinion of Bush's policies? Since I don't assume that to be true, there is nothing to rethink, Larry434.

What was this, dookie.

"Larry434:

Thanx for reinforcing my point regarding Dumbya's failed divisive policies"
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:24 pm
So, in your own little world, our country is totally unified, peaceful and happy?

LOL!!!!!! Try telling that to the hundreds of thousands of protestors who are p*ssed at Bush and his policies.

Actually, I should have said "thanx for reinforcing my point regarding Dumbya's divisive policies." Obviously, these divisive policies haven't failed, but have succeeded in every sense of the word.

I never said you endorsed my opinion of Bush's divisive policies. Try looking up "endorse" and "reinforcement" regarding MY point. But before you do that, read through the threads again, because it's obvious you've lost your way in the argument already through tangential debate. Reinforcement doesn't mean that you AGREE with my opinion.

Boy, this all sounds SO familiar, like somebody I used to debate with on Abuzz by the name of Pragmaticone.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:29 pm
Dookiestix wrote:

You are correct that you did not say "endorse".

Rephrasing, if you think my comments regarding Clinton and Reagan reinforce your opinion of Bush's policies, you need to think again.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:38 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
So, in your own little world, our country is totally unified, peaceful and happy?

LOL!!!!!! Try telling that to the hundreds of thousands of protestors who are p*ssed at Bush and his policies.

Actually, I should have said "thanx for reinforcing my point regarding Dumbya's divisive policies." Obviously, these divisive policies haven't failed, but have succeeded in every sense of the word.

I never said you endorsed my opinion of Bush's divisive policies. Try looking up "endorse" and "reinforcement" regarding MY point. But before you do that, read through the threads again, because it's obvious you've lost your way in the argument already through tangential debate. Reinforcement doesn't mean that you AGREE with my opinion.

Boy, this all sounds SO familiar, like somebody I used to debate with on Abuzz by the name of Pragmaticone.

No, I do not think "our country is totally unified, peaceful and happy". Where did you get that idea?

But I do think our adversarial political and judicial systems have served us well since the inception of the Republic. Don't you?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:51 pm
Larry434:

Would you agree that under Clinton and Reagan, the nation wasn't NEARLY as polarized and divisive? Oh, and it wasn't that you were reinforcing my "opinion," as you initially stated. I made a point, and in your follow-up statement, you reinforced it by basically agreeing that under BOTH Reagan and Clinton, the nation WAS less polarized, as both presidents garnered votes from their political opposites.

In which you followed by stating "good point."

So, what part of this is still unclear to you?
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:58 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Larry434:

Would you agree that under Clinton and Reagan, the nation wasn't NEARLY as polarized and divisive? Oh, and it wasn't that you were reinforcing my "opinion," as you initially stated. I made a point, and in your follow-up statement, you reinforced it by basically agreeing that under BOTH Reagan and Clinton, the nation WAS less polarized, as both presidents garnered votes from their political opposites.

In which you followed by stating "good point."

So, what part of this is still unclear to you?

I don't want to waste time in a debate over what you think I meant, dookie.

But, answering your question; yes, I think the nation became more divided as the Dems moved to the far Left after Reagan.

You will recall that Clinton had a VERY difficult time getting anything passed in the GOP controlled Congress who impeached him on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice. It doesn't get any mored divided than that.

Bush on the other hand has been quite successful in getting the Congress to enact the majority of legislation he has proposed by winning over enough of the few remaining moderate Dems to vote for his proposals.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 02:21 pm
LOL!!!!!!!! Yeah, those damn Republicans impeached a sitting president because he lied about a BJ. That's something certainly to be proud of, isn't it? Why is it that Republicans don't talk about it at all these days?

Quote:
I don't want to waste time in a debate over what you think I meant, dookie.

But you HAVE been, Larry434.

And it is only natural that when the GOP takes control of both congress and the executive branch, then moves in a much neoconservative direction, catering to social conservatives but without a mandate by the people, then it is only natural that there will be an opposite reaction from the other side of the political ideological spectrum.

How else to explain the hundreds of thousands of protestors who showed up at the GOP convention? That certainly didn't happen four years ago.

Blaming this on the Democrats is hysterical. I always thought it was the LEADERSHIP of this country that was important. The GOPers make that point time and again in criticising Kerry and in propping up their idiot savant for four more years.

Clinton actually got a lot passed because he took certain Republican issues and made them his own. That was certainly one of the points I was making, and in which you agreed with, in a prior posting.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 02:26 pm
BTW, dookie, the state by state electoral count snapshots at this point in time are not promising for your boy.

It can only get worse with the bounce coming out of the GOP convention and then the debates where Kerry will be forced to take a firm stand on the issues and defend his miserable Senate record.

http://www.geocities.com/wubwub/bushkerrystate2004.html
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 02:28 pm
"Yeah, those damn Republicans impeached a sitting president because he lied about a BJ. That's something certainly to be proud of, isn't it? Why is it that Republicans don't talk about it at all these days?"

Because Clinton isn't running. Another Dem liar is. :wink:
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 02:34 pm
Oh, yeah, this liar:

http://www.politicalstrategy.org/2003_03_10_weblog_archive.htm

Lies aplenty from this moron. Too bad Dumbya didn't just lie about a BJ and nothing else. But then again, I guess he'd be impeached as well.

LOL!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 02:43 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Oh, yeah, this liar:

http://www.politicalstrategy.org/2003_03_10_weblog_archive.htm

Lies aplenty from this moron. Too bad Dumbya didn't just lie about a BJ and nothing else. But then again, I guess he'd be impeached as well.

LOL!!!!!!!

Monday, March 10, 2003?

Old propaganda. Needs refreshing.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 02:53 pm
A lie is a lie is a lie, Larry434.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 03:14 pm
revel wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
au1929 wrote:

au1929 wrote:
In addition he did not receive a mandate from the American people....

Brandon9000 wrote:
And, therefore, what?

Since he did not receive a mandate and in fact lost the popular vote it was obvious that at least 50% of the American people did not support him. Any logical and right thinking individual would not have ignored half the electorate as he has done and said it's my way or the highway. He did and that is why the country is as divided as it is. And that is why half the population of the US literally hates Bush. Again never in my memory have I ever seen the hatred of a sitting president as I have this one. A president if he is worth anything once elected must be president to all the people not just his constituents.

It is a very standard idea that a presidential candidate clearly states his political orientation, and then, as president, implements those policies he believes are right and necessary, regardless of whether he won by a significant majority or not. It is no vice for a president to use his own judgement and ethics, and no virtue to rule by polls.[/quote[/color]]

Bush did state state his political orientation, he was going to be a "compassionate conservative who will end partisan politics" Like all his other statements, this one turned out to be a lie or failed statement too.

1. You implied that in the absence of an electoral mandate, a candidate was compelled to take centrist policies, and I dispute that totally. A president is perfectly entitled to act according to his judgement and own set of morals.

2. As for the new subject you have just started, whether Bush can or cannot be categorized as a compassionate conservative, I suspect that one could find numerous cases of him acting with compassion, e.g. money to Africa for AIDS. Now you can probably point to some case and say, "Look someone got hurt here," or "someone wasn't helped here," as you could with any president, and present it as evidence that Bush was not "compassionate," but in most of those cases, I suspect that the issue would be much more complex. For instance, Clinton bombed Serbia back to the Stone Age, but it actually was an example of compassion, since his motive was to force them to stop ethnic cleansing of the ethnic Albanians.
0 Replies