Do the Dems feel it slipping away?

Brand X

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:51 pm
I saw McAullife on CNN refuting these buzzy rumors.

Sources: Democratic leaders urge Kerry campaign changes
Campaign refutes reports of shake-up
Tuesday, August 31, 2004 Posted: 6:19 PM EDT (2219 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Democratic leaders, increasingly concerned that John Kerry's presidential campaign is adrift, are urging the presidential nominee to make changes in his staff before Labor Day, according to some party sources.

If not, said one party strategist, "it could be too late." Sources say major changes could come at the campaign's highest level.

The concern, according to these sources, is that Kerry has failed to effectively respond to attacks from Republicans and criticism of his military service in Vietnam, particular ads from a group calling itself Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Several campaign sources dismissed talk of a "major" shake-up. But these sources acknowledge there will be some changes in the coming days and some "evolving roles" at the campaign's senior level.

"We don't have a Carville or a Begala," said a senior Kerry official, referring to Democratic strategists James Carville and Paul Begala, who masterminded Bill Clinton's successful 1992 campaign. "We can't mimic what happened in 1992."

The worry voiced by some Democrats comes as Republicans meet in New York for their nominating convention.

Much of the Democrats' criticism -- which is coming from donors, top strategists and elected officials -- was directed at Mary Beth Cahill, who was hired to run Kerry's campaign after the senator fired campaign manager Jim Jordan in late 2003. Democrats are also urging the candidate to overhaul his media strategy, led by communications director Stephanie Cutter.

There's no indication that Kerry will fire Cahill or Cutter, or change their titles. Cahill has spent the past several days with Kerry at his home in Nantucket, and she also met with the candidate at a private home Monday for 90 minutes. Kerry met with her again, along with his finance chairman, Louis Susman, on Tuesday morning.

But sources say Kerry could bring in other top advisers who would have more authority over strategy and day-to-day operations. Two people who could fill those roles are Joe Lockhart, a Democratic consultant and former Clinton press secretary, who was brought into the campaign last week as a senior communications adviser; and John Sasso, who is currently the Kerry campaign's liaison to the Democratic National Committee.

Lockhart said he was unaware of any major changes.

"The campaign has a strong team in place, and a strategy to win this election," he said.

Cutter was even more blunt. "That's not going to happen," she said. "This is nothing new. Mary Beth is still campaign manager and will continue to be."

Lockhart was traveling Tuesday to meet with Kerry in Nantucket, Massachusetts, and then fly to Nashville, Tennessee, with the senator later in the day.

While he originally had planned to maintain a low-key schedule during the Republican National Convention, Kerry now is expected to hold a small rally in Nashville on Tuesday evening. He's scheduled to address members of the American Legion on Wednesday at their national convention.

On Thursday, he's also stopping off in Boston, Massachusetts, for more private meetings with top staff before he joins his vice-presidential pick John Edwards for a midnight rally in Ohio.

When asked if there is going to be any announcement about staff changes, Cutter replied, "Not to my knowledge. And if there is, it does not mean any shake-up."

Cutter pointed to the addition of Lockhart and Joel Johnson earlier this month as evidence that the campaign is "beefing up." Cutter said that adding people during the home-stretch of the campaign is commonplace.

At the same time, however, top campaign officials acknowledge that major problems have arisen since Kerry accepted his party's nomination in Boston last month. The swift boat ads have done serious damage, reflected in both polls and fund raising, and aides have complained of a lack of overall strategy.

A senior campaign source said "this will pass" and that there is an effort to "quell" the concerns being raised by some fund-raisers in New York and California. The campaign is sharing "data" with those parties complaining about problems and laying out the plan for where the campaign goes from here.

Sen. Ted Kennedy has been calling Democrats over the past several days to discuss their concerns about the campaign's message, according to one source.

When Lockhart came on board, the expectation was that he would travel with Kerry. Now, the decision has been made to leave him at headquarters overseeing what one senior campaign official called "a sometimes confused and short-sighted" communications strategy.

Cutter, recently taken off the road to return to campaign headquarters, likely will return to her role as traveling press secretary, sources said, although some campaign officials and advisers are exploring other options.

Johnson and another former Clinton adviser, Doug Sosnik, also have taken on major roles in recent weeks. Johnson directs a "rapid response" operation and works closely with Lockhart, while Sosnik works on broader strategic issues.

There was talk of putting Sosnik on the road with Kerry. Several campaign officials and advisers say they recognize the need to have an "adult" traveling with the candidate -- as one put it, "someone who can tell him to shut up, or change something if and when that is necessary" and quickly deal with other strategic issues from the road.

"The 'sky is falling' people are out of line, but we do need to fix some things," said one senior campaign official.

But Sosnik's wife recently had a baby and the plans envision him working at headquarters and perhaps traveling in the campaign's final weeks. So they are still exploring options for a traveling senior staffer. Johnson is an option because of his longtime experience in the Senate, but Lockhart is among those who prefer him where he is, according to several sources.

Some of this buzz may have been fueled yesterday when Democratic pollster Stan Greenberg said he was stepping down from working for a 527. Some viewed it as a step toward joining the campaign. Several inside and adviser sources, however, say they know of no such plan.

CNN
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,584 • Replies: 84
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:56 pm
Hey...

Why DON'T they have a Carville or Begala?

Hmmm.

Clinton cronies...breathe high octane politics....yet...sitting this one out.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 05:58 pm
LOL
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:01 pm
....hmmmm...

Anyway, they're all freaked out.

Another Dukakis...Mondale...rout.

The only thing that will save them now is if George picks his nose during a debate---and eats it.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:04 pm
LMAO
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:07 pm
hiya.

<tee>
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:13 pm
LOL!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:17 pm
I guess they counted on the 'Anybody But Bush' sentiment and the 'I was in Nam' strategy to sail them right into office.

Maybe they counted wrong, eh.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:21 pm
'Ppears so.

<tee>
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:22 pm
I'm waiting for the next ad that shows John Kerry meeting with both Communist delegations in Paris during the peace talks while we still had men fighting in Vietnam and POWs being tortured in Hanoi.

Oh...and Kerry was still an active duty Navy Reserve officer at the time, don't want to forget that.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:35 pm
Brand,

I think that may be in the next round of ads. I did a bit of looking into just what Kerry was up to.

If the ads that have been on so far have done this much damage--he won't survive the ones you describe.

It is really a testament to McCain that he could be friends with Kerry. McCain was having his legs broken, and Kerry's words were used like a Tokyo Rose against many US POWs.

Have you researched the Winter Soldier stuff?
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:43 pm
Sofia wrote:
Brand,

I think that may be in the next round of ads. I did a bit of looking into just what Kerry was up to.

If the ads that have been on so far have done this much damage--he won't survive the ones you describe.

It is really a testament to McCain that he could be friends with Kerry. McCain was having his legs broken, and Kerry's words were used like a Tokyo Rose against many US POWs.

Have you researched the Winter Soldier stuff?

Actually I was pondering what ad might be next, as far as I know there is no such ad coming, but would fit into the mix.

The Swifties are about finished with events of the river and are about to move to Kerry's post war antics and they have a lot of money flowing in now.

Have read through the Winter Soldier stuff but need to review now that it's hot again.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 06:50 pm
Seem to remember hearing that the post-war stuff like the trip to Paris you mentioned would figure prominently in the next round of ads--and also heard, as you did, their money is flowing.

Guys who were tortured as Kerry's vet-bashing was played to them are supposed to speak in the ads.

I'm just glad Bush has washed his hands of it. I think this may be the nastiest political season in my lifetime. A good reason, IMO, to shut down the 527s. No one is accountable.

(But, you know what? Even if 527s are shut down--the cat is out of the bag. Who can stop any of these people from buying airtime?)
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 07:12 pm
I hear they have an ad coming out in October that is going to finish Kerry off.

These guys are just getting started saying what they want to say.

I agree with you on the 527's.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:35 am
Last night Jay Leno noted John was windsurfing while on vacation. He said that even his hobby depended on which way the wind was blowing!! Laughing
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:09 am
Brand--

LOL!
Thanks for sharing the joke. I've been so pooped lately, I'm missing all the good late night monologues.

...even his hobby...<hee>
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:20 am
Sofia wrote:

The only thing that will save them now is if George picks his nose during a debate---and eats it.

http://www.lazygranch.com/images/nosepic/nosepick1.jpg
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:19 pm
LOL! I cain't hep it. Made me laugh.

I bet he wiped it on the bottom of his seat.

Demoralizing!

Men!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:22 pm
Bush is hardly a credit to his gender. For a guy who likes to appear so macho (the flyboy costume), wasn't he, like, a cheerleader at Yale? Or was that at prep school?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:23 pm
Boortz would say...leave that booger for the booger eating...bed wetting liberals!
0 Replies