Anyone Seen This Yet? I Await The Spin....

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:44 pm
Swift Boat Vets.....more whores for sale.....

http://www.misleader.org/daily_mislead/Read.asp?fn=df08312004.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,633 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:49 pm
More and more connections every day. Wonder if this one will hit the press.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:50 pm
I think the SVs have outlived their 2 weeks of fame and 2 days of credibility.
0 Replies

shaggydog

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:53 pm
and this is significant how, when Moveon.org's staff is riddled with DNC and Kerry staffers, and vice versa? Why are you guys always so tunnel visioned? It's really borrrrrrring.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 01:54 pm
Re: Anyone Seen This Yet? I Await The Spin....
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Swift Boat Vets.....more whores for sale.....

http://www.misleader.org/daily_mislead/Read.asp?fn=df08312004.html

Our tax dollars are financing the devil. Corruption! The love of money is the root of all evil. Absolute POWER corrupts ABSOLUTELY!

Quote:
Swift Boat Vet Got $40M Contract From Bush
The Bush White House has denied any connection to the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth1 - the group that has been airing factually unsupportable smear ads against Sen. John Kerry's war record. But a new report today shows that one of the key accusers in the smear ads was a lobbyist for a company that recently received a massive federal contract from the Bush administration.

As the Washington Post reports, Rear Admiral William L. Schachte Jr., the man who claims Kerry was not under fire when he received his first Purple Heart, is a top lobbyist for a defense contractor that recently won a $40 million grant from the Bush administration. According to a March 18 legal filing by Schachte's firm, Blank Rome, Schachte was one of the lobbyists working for FastShip's effort to secure federal contracts.2 On Feb. 2, FastShip announced the Bush administration had awarded it $40 million.3

Schachte has other connections to the Bush administration. The Washington Post notes David Norcross, Schachte's colleague in the Washington office of Blank Rome, is chairman of this week's Republican convention in New York.4 Records show that Schachte gave $1,000 to Bush's 2000 and 2004 campaigns.5 Additionally, Schachte helped organize veterans' efforts against Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) and for Bush in the 2000 South Carolina primary.6

This is not the first member of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth who has been revealed to be connected to the President. The Bush-Cheney campaign's top outside lawyer was forced to resign after he admitted providing legal services to the veterans group.7 The Bush-Cheney campaign's veterans adviser was also featured in one of the smear ads.8

Sources:
"Press Gaggle by Scott McClellan," WhiteHouse.gov, 8/20/04.
"A Swift Shift in Stories," Washington Post, 8/31/04.
"FastShip, Inc. to Receive $40 million in Federal Support for Marine Cargo Terminal in Philadelphia," FastShipAtlantic.com, 2/02/04
"A Swift Shift in Stories," Washington Post, 8/31/04.
OpenSecrets.org, 8/04.
Charleston Post & Courier, 2/17/2000.
"Bush-Cheney Lawyer Advised Anti-Kerry Vets," Washington Post, 8/25/04.
"Bush Campaign Drops Swift Boat Ad Figure," Washington Post, 8/22/04.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:00 pm
"Schachte was one of the lobbyists working for FastShip on issues such as the effort to win funding for a new marine cargo terminal."

Pretty tenuous connection there, IMO.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:01 pm
But he also organized the vet groups against McCain -- not so tenuous.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
shaggydog wrote:
and this is significant how, when Moveon.org's staff is riddled with DNC and Kerry staffers, and vice versa? Why are you guys always so tunnel visioned? It's really borrrrrrring.

how fortunate for you that you're not required to respond to things you find so borrrrrrring.....

but if you must force yourself to dirty your hands in such a manner....please supply an example.....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:02 pm
shaggydog wrote:

how fortunate for you that you're not required to respond to things you find so borrrrrrring.....

but if you must force yourself to dirty your hands in such a manner....please supply an example.....
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:04 pm
smear
shaggydog wrote:

Who are "you guys?" Are you talking about U.S. citizens? If the Bush Administration rewards a lobbyist with a $40 million contract in exchange for smear propaganda against the opposition, shouldn't this UPSET ALL U.S. Citizens? Do you not see the impropriety? Is governmental corruption of no concern to you?

Main Entry: cor·rup·tion
Pronunciation: k&-'r&p-sh&n
Function: noun
1 a : impairment of integrity, virtue, or moral principle : DEPRAVITY b : DECAY, DECOMPOSITION c : inducement to wrong by improper or unlawful means (as bribery) d : a departure from the original or from what is pure or correct
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:15 pm
"If the Bush Administration rewards a lobbyist with a $40 million contract in exchange for smear propaganda against the opposition, shouldn't this UPSET ALL U.S. Citizens?"

Absolutely debra. That would be a felony would it not?

But the lobbyist did not receive a $40M contract. The company he worked for did. And he was one of many working on winning the contract.

Do you have evidence that the reason the contract was awarded to his company was "in exchange for smear propaganda against the opposition", or you merely speculating?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:27 pm
hmmmm
Larry:

If the lobbyist had no vested interest in the outcome of his efforts--why would he engage in lobbying? His activities were aimed at influencing the Bush Administration to award his "employer" a $40 million dollar contract. Are you suggesting his conduct is somehow divorced from his employer's special interests?

The appearance of impropriety -- the appearance of corruption -- is so overwhelming that it warrants an investigation. What hurts this country more? Oral sex or CORRUPTION? If the country was concerned enough to investigate whether or not Bill Clinton engaged in oral sex with Monica; then I think the country ought to be concerned enough to investigate whether or not the Bush Administration is involved in corruption. Don't you agree?

Main Entry: 2lobby
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): lob·bied; lob·by·ing
intransitive senses : to conduct activities aimed at influencing public officials and especially members of a legislative body on legislation
transitive senses
1 : to promote (as a project) or secure the passage of (as legislation) by influencing public officials
2 : to attempt to influence or sway (as a public official) toward a desired action
- lob·by·er noun
- lob·by·ism /-"i-z&m/ noun
- lob·by·ist /-ist/ noun
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:28 pm
Did you happen to notice that the name of the company included his own?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:31 pm
Look, Larry, don't be like that.

The Bush campaign said there were no connections between the SBVfT and the Bush admin. Great.

Now it turns out that there are connections. A $40 million dollar contract awarded to the company that one of the SBVfT is working for is a big deal.

Your partner being Chairman of the RNC is a big deal.

Having worked to smear McCain, and now going after Kerry, is a big deal. These kinds of things make political moves backfire, once it looks like there is a good amount of evidence that there is more motivation to the SBVfT than a 'pressing need to tell the truth.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:47 pm
"If the lobbyist had no vested interest in the outcome of his efforts--why would he engage in lobbying?"

It was his JOB, debra.

"His activities were aimed at influencing the Bush Administration to award his "employer" a $40 million dollar contract."

But of course.

"Are you suggesting his conduct is somehow divorced from his employer's special interests?"

Of course not.

Are you familiar with the term "revolving door", debra, as it applies to people who leave government service and then go to work as lobbyists seeking contracts with the Federal government?

If not, a little research will reveal that it is a customary and regular practice in DC...and their are hundreds if not thousands of them engaged in the profession.

As I said before, IF the award of a contract is tied to some favor received by the administration from the lobbyist it would be a felony and should be prosecuted vigorously if there is sufficient probable cause to do so.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 02:52 pm
I can't believe you guys are arguing about an article from the misleader.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:02 pm
believe it....they source and link everything they print.....
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 03:30 pm
MONEY
The Bush Administration can buy a LOT of support with a bulging war chest consisting of $87 Billion dollars and funded by tax dollars.

I wonder what I can offer in order to get my fingers in the till. I'll have to think about this--I don't want to miss my golden opportunity to strike it rich.
0 Replies

shaggydog

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 04:05 pm
It is still boring. Go buy a computer or hitchhike to the library and google "Moveon.org connections" or any other combination of keywords that seems right. In short order you will find

Zack Exley
Steve Bing
Gene Sperling
Neil Reiff

have all moved between the Kerry campaign and moveon.org, and some actually held positions with both organisations simultaneously.Their joint associations are no less tenous than any you can describe between Bush and any other 527. I takes five minutes to find this out, think what one might find if an hour was spent on it.

Debra, my dictionary has a picture of Richard Daley and Joseph Kennedy linking arms next to the word "corruption". Probably before your time.
0 Replies

shaggydog

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2004 04:09 pm
Debra, with Kerry's $225 million and Soros' loose change I am sure you could get a job with the rent-a-mob RIGHT NOW. Hurry, they need someone to write new chants for them.
0 Replies