Can atheists believe in an immortal soul?

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 06:59 am
@neologist,
Rev 5:10 indicates just the opposite. That the 'Kings & priests shall reign ON the earth. But again, I see that as occurring during the 1000 years, not the final destination. As always, I could be wrong.

But I'd still like an answer to the question I've asked you several times that I don't think you've answered. In your religion, what is the purpose of the 1000 years if that is where believers stay anyway?
timur

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 07:04 am
Quote:
That the 'Kings & priests shall reign ON the earth.

This is very revealing, but:

Diderot wrote:
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
neologist

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 11:39 am
@timur,
timur wrote:
Diderot wrote:
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
One of my favorite quotes. I take it as opinion, however.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 11:46 am
@Leadfoot,
Actually, Revelation ch. 5 is a scene taking place in heaven.

A lot of things need to happen during the 1000 years, not the least of which would be the restoration of the earth.

I don't totally understand your question. Where is it you suggest the believers will stay?
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 11:48 am
@neologist,
the point made that summarizes this whole thread was made by rosborne I think
1An atheist can believe in anything they wish

2The only real question is why would they want to?
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 11:49 am
@farmerman,
I have evidence robust enough to convince me of the existence of an "immortal" genome
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 12:02 pm
@farmerman,
I'd have to agree with you there, fm. What took me by surprise was the thought that any such belief might be a given.
farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 02:46 pm
@neologist,
The theists on these threads are like the Pharisee who only sought his own validation by narcissistic prayers.

Im amazed at how these threads have devolved into discussions that are a bit "Christians seeking of approbations" or Muslims "claiming that everything that exists they thought of first" by somehow trying to show how beneath them th atheists are. The atheists, on the other hand, dont seem to give a **** and are more interested in the ball scores.
If you notice, most of the atheists responses to these attempts at "insult by quizzing" are on the snotty side. Like, "Please stop bothering me" Because if theres a god, Id rather have it provide me the evidence, rather than listen to these made-up Biblical jargon phrases and numerology and just plain gobble de
gook.
I have to smile when I hear two or more of you exchange "sacred scriptural paragraph numbers". When you realize that probably some guy in a tent (an equivalent of a Mosaic Era Eric von Deniken) sat up, probably stoned, and scribed all this **** down. And then, in the early 11th century, the "priests" decided which of all that **** would be allowed into the "sacred book of tales of the Supernatural"

Leadfoot

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 03:15 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The atheists, on the other hand, dont seem to give a **** and are more interested in the ball scores.
I'm not sure that's a better alternative but Yes, that's true.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2016 09:53 pm
@farmerman,
It's amazing how a sensible, educated man can clear this mess up in a couple of paragraphs.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 07:43 am
@neologist,
Quote:
Actually, Revelation ch. 5 is a scene taking place in heaven.
Doesn't matter where it took place 'Reign on the earth' means what it says.

Quote:
A lot of things need to happen during the 1000 years, not the least of which would be the restoration of the earth.
Depends on what you mean. The last part of the 'cleanup' consists of the annihilation of a great number of those living on earth. And remember, those were all 'believers' at the start of the 1000 years. In the big picture, whatever happens to the planet itself is of little significance, theologically speaking.
Quote:
I don't totally understand your question. Where is it you suggest the believers will stay?
You did answer the question although with only minor details. As you said, they (being the believers in Christ) are 'raised first' and live on the new earth for 1000 years under the reign of Christ. After that and that final 'cleanup', my reading is that those left will dwell with God in his kingdom.
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 07:46 am
@Leadfoot,
In case it is useful, these are the scriptures Jesus would have been alluding to
Psalms 37 wrote:
11But the humble will inherit the land
And will delight themselves in abundant prosperity
18The LORD knows the days of the blameless,
And their inheritance will be forever.
29The righteous will inherit the land
And dwell in it forever.

Isaiah 60:21 wrote:
Then all your people will be righteous; They will possess the land forever

Leadfoot

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 07:54 am
@Smileyrius,
It wouldn't matter to me if the kingdom of God were literally on the land of earth. Him dwelling with me is what matters. But it's very possible that 'land' in those scriptures is metaphor.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 12:40 pm
@TomTomBinks,
TomTomBinks wrote:
t's amazing how a sensible, educated man can clear this mess up in a couple of paragraphs.
Yes!
Indeed!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 12:47 pm
@Leadfoot,
I wrote:
Leadfoot wrote:
Depends on what you mean. The last part of the 'cleanup' consists of the annihilation of a great number of those living on earth. And remember, those were all 'believers' at the start of the 1000 years.
Where are you reading this? Those who die at the end of the 1000 years are not necessarily believers at the start.
I wrote:
Leadfoot wrote:
You did answer the question although with only minor details. As you said, they (being the believers in Christ) are 'raised first' and live on the new earth for 1000 years under the reign of Christ. After that and that final 'cleanup', my reading is that those left will dwell with God in his kingdom.
If you read carefully, God dwells with them. Different meaning . . . .
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 02:10 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
"Depends on what you mean. The last part of the 'cleanup' consists of the annihilation of a great number of those living on earth. And remember, those were all 'believers' at the start of the 1000 years. "

Where are you reading this? Those who die at the end of the 1000 years are not necessarily believers at the start.
Jut the way I read Revelations. But if you are right, all the non-believers who died in the past could justly cry foul, it's not fair that the lucky ones alive at the beginning of the 1000 years get the chance to actually see Christ AND have a 1000 years to accept him instead of their normal lifespan.

Or, do you believe that ALL (believers and non-believers) are raised for the 1000 year reign? If that's so, my question would be WTF is this life we are living now for? Not to mention the overcrowding that 110 billion people on earth would cause.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 02:12 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
If you read carefully, God dwells with them. Different meaning . . . .
So he's gonna give up his pad in Heaven for this burg?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 07:20 pm
@Leadfoot,
you guys sound like the mob fighting over the meaning of a sandal in "Life of Brian"
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2016 09:43 pm
@farmerman,
Think of it as getting all the pieces to fit in the Standard Model.
0 Replies