BUGGIN'S TURN

LarryBS

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2003 11:05 pm
I heard the term "buggin's turn" for the first time recently, and was wondering how many are familiar with it. It took a good deal of time to find its meaning, and I'm a pretty good searcher. I was surprised that it wasn't cited on any of the word and phrase origin/etymology sites on my links list, many of which specialize in British terms.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,922 • Replies: 10
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 09:32 am
Larry I found some references to "buggin's turn" in a Google search and they all referred to British politics. It seems to me to refer to what we in the US would call receiving the perks of seniority, i.e., a politicians turn at the pork barrel. But I am not sure and am confused by the term. I guess we will have to await information from some of our astute British members to respond with more information.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 10:30 am
Buggin's Turn === the pecking order, the next in line. The person behind you may have a greater claim or ability, but your seniority gets to move you forward coz you are the next in line. People then, take it in turn, for example, to be a club's chairman. There is a rotational choice.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 11:05 am
So it has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with politics. Very Happy
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 11:25 am
It can can be applied in any area of human activity I believe. It's a term I've know about for a long time, but rarely heard. I think your summation earlier Joanne, is a very good way of putting it.
0 Replies

ZYZZYGOGUE

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 11:36 am
BUGGINS TURN IS "THE SYSTEM OF ROTATING THE TOP JOB IN AN ORGANISATION IN SEQUENTIAL ORDER WITHOUT RESPECT OF AGE RANK OR LENGTH OF SERVICE"
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 02:47 pm
I finally tried the method I've seen recommended on etymology sites, and thats to simply type in the word in the search box followed by the word "etymology" or "origin." Still surprised though to get only one response on google.

http://www.broca.org/2002_09_01_archive.html

Buggins' turn- appointment of person by rotation, or promotion as a result of mere legth of service, rather than on merit
The earliest recorded use of this expression is by Admiral Fisher, later First Sea Lord, in 1901. It is not known whether he invented it or was merely the first to write down and make public, in disparaging terms, an existing piece of private Civil Service joularity. Certainly the Buggins principle was deeply embedded, and perhaps still is, in the higher ranks of the Civil Service and the armed forces.
The surname Buggins was probably chosen because it was thought to be appropriately nondescript.
0 Replies

stew2004

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 12:25 am
Buggin's turn
A recent published use of the term: The London Times 13 August 2004:
In an editorial about José Manuel Durão Barroso, the new EU Commission President, the newspaper says that he "has moved with a speed and sense of strategy that invariably eluded Romano Prodi, his distinctly undistinguished predecessor, and Jacques Santer, the predecessor's bland predecessor who had to resign after the Commission became enmeshed in scandal. He has completed the task of establishing his team in little more than three weeks. He has not allowed himself to be unduly handicapped by the EU equivalent of "Buggin's turn". He has sent out the admirable message that serious economic reform will be, as he said yesterday, his greatest priority."
0 Replies

Wayne Gibson

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 12:42 pm
Just saw a reference to it in an aticle by Conrad Black in the NAtional Post (a Canadain Newspaper)---used in reference to some previous leaders of the Canadian Liberal Party.
0 Replies

jioday

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:56 am
L. Ahamed's use of it in Lords of Finance, p. 79, would seem to indicate that ZYZZYGOGUE has it right on. Seniority does not enter into it.
I wonder where ZYZZYGOGUE's quote comes from.
0 Replies

robbief

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 04:13 pm
expression was used in the UK political election today by the Lib Dems in an attempt to discredit the two horse race of the Conservatives and Labour - 'the two main parties sit comfortably in Westminster awaiting Buggins Turn to take power'
0 Replies