Hooray! The new IKEA Catalogue is here!

Thok

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 08:54 am
Congrats. :-)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:22 am
We LOVE IKEA. I don't remember getting a catalog recently, hope it comes soon. My daughter and I were at the Seattle/Renton store about a week ago. Of course, besides our lunch -- 10 meatballs, please -- we bought a package of frozen meatballs and two jars of lingonberries. Anybody have their ice-cube lamp? Such a nice glow. I bought the doglets a 99 cent stuffed animal -- a hedgehog, but my favorite was the 29 cent clothes line with ladybug clothespins. Somehow, despite those bargains, I think I spent over $200. What did I get? I dunno.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:32 am
Can't recall who mentioned a store in Conn. (sorry), but thank you! :-D

I think we have IKEA stuff in every room in the house except maybe the basement. Night tables in the bedroom, bookshelves (and other stuff) in this room (the computer room), canisters in the kitchen and pantry, our dining room table, the wall unit in the TV room, the sofa in the fireplace room, picture frames in the hall, etc. etc. etc.

If they ever go public (e. g. are traded on an exchange), I will gladly buy stock. At least, I think they're not publicly traded on the NASDAQ or NYSE.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:40 am
They get all kinds of "best workplaces" awards, too, which is part of why I like 'em. (One from Working Mother, I think...)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:25 am
Piffka wrote:
We LOVE IKEA. I think I spent over $200. What did I get? I dunno.

After I wrote that I thought... damn. What did we get?* It is always fun, but expensive, to have a day of shoppin' with my daughter.

Jespah, I doubt there'll be an IPO soon. I checked out who owns IKEA. According to CNN, April 2004 - Ingvar
Kamprad is the founder of IKEA (in 1943), but donated ownership to the Dutch Stichting INGKA Foundation in 1982. He is, however, the chairman of that foundation.

PDF document describing IKEA's and the Stichting INGKA Foundations' Environmental History including what they call "Natural Step".

from http://biodiversityeconomics.org/business/topics-136-12.htm
Quote:
The IKEA group is owned by a Dutch foundation, Stichting Ingka Foundation but all management services and the headquarters of the IKEA Group are provided by IKEA International in Humlebaek, Denmark. However, the product range is controlled entirely by IKEA Sweden, ...To secure supplies and help suppliers develop, IKEA is also partnering as joint owners or financiers in a number of countries including Poland, Slovakia, Russia, Romania, and Bulgaria.

Stichting Ingka is chaired by Ingvar Kamprad who is said to "detest waste in any form." IKEA's mission statement: "To create a better every-day life for the majority of the people" was taken in the early 80's to include their interest in the environment, since what was good for the environment was good for the majority of the people.

[*It was "only" $185 and included a a lot of things my d. wanted for her college apartment: knives, colander, ice cube trays, candlesticks, candles, several rolls of gift wrap, a couple of mirrors, a laundry bag. We also bought two new throw pillows with velveteen covers for our living room and some dark blue oval storage boxes that bumped up the total.]
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:48 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
In IKEA Walter?

Yes - usually it takes much, much longer, when Mrs. Walter strools through the shop Sad

(You know, getting decoration ideas and such.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 10:56 am
IKEA always has the best washrooms.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:39 am
When I go to Ikea, I usually bring ten bags of those little candles and at least ten big candles for the restaurant were BigDice works. And paper napkins for home, gift wrapping paper, potatoe chips...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:35 am
The backseats are full of napkins for s-i-l and my niece - ours are taken out from the boot, I hope.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:46 pm
I've just learned that there's to be a new, mega-Ikea opening up not far from me - near the Olympic site - where there are already some big outlet stores.

Wheeeee! much closer to home now!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 04:02 am
margo, you are truly blessed, my dear.
You must go to this shop and,if they have it, buy swedish stuff in the sweden shop, and then spread the gospel of swedish food.
amen
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:04 pm
Swedish food, BD?????

Well - I like reindeer!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 06:42 am
Well, Margo, check this one out! Don't know if they have at your IKEA though, but something's gotta be there too!
Swedish food @ IKEA
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 05:47 pm
You're right - I checked the website - they do have meatballs, with lingonberries. There are 2 stores in Sydney - both some distance from me. Just wait until the new store opens!

Ikea in Sydney
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 09:48 am
Try the almond cake, margo!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:16 am
Weird how the food is different in different Ikeas.

We've got :

Quote:
Breakfast for a buck!
Scrambled eggs, sausage, hashbrowns, and a croissant.
Sunday to Friday: 9:30am - 11am Saturday: 8:30am - 11am
$1

Quote:
Swedish style chicken breast
served with lingonberry chipotle salsa, marinated vegetables and potato rösti.
$5.99

Quote:
Swedish seafood & vegetable pasta
Penne pasta with vegetables, seafood and basil pesto.
$4.99

Quote:
Kids menu
Kids can enjoy their own menu: delicious Swedish meatballs & fries, mac & cheese or chicken nuggets & fries - soft drink included.
$1.99

Quote:
Swedish apple cake
A high end cake for a low end price. Served with vanilla sauce.
$1.49

Quote:
Vegeterian offer
Vegetable samosas with rice and Thai sauce.
$3.99

Quote:
Meatballs
Swedish meatballs, served with lingonberries and boiled potatoes.
$4.49

Quote:
Herb baked salmon
Delicious herb baked salmon with boiled potatoes and vegetables.
$6.99

Quote:
Shrimp sandwich
A luxurious sandwich with shrimps, lettuce and mayonnaise.
$3.99

Quote:
Mazarin
Relax with a cup of coffee or tea and a flavourful mazarin.
$0.99

Quote:
Cinnamon bun
The kids might like a lemonade with a yummy cinnamon bun.
$1.29 in the Restaurant

Quote:
Daim chocolate cake
An original cake made out of Daim candy and almond cake…twice as delicious!
$1.99

Quote:
Almond cake
An almond cake is perfect when you need a brake. Include a cup of coffee or tea to make the experience unique.
$1.99

had to search for that almond cake
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:19 am
Yeah, I've been too hmm 4? different Ikeas, and the food was different in each.

One thing I noticed is high retention of food service staff -- it seemed to be the same people (who seemed to really like each other, lots of talking and laughing) the whole four years I was going to the Schaumburg (IL) one. I wonder if they have some input, or can suggest menu items, or create menu items according to their culinary skills, or something.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:31 am
I've been to some handfull IKEA's in Germany (all the very same food), and some in France, Austria, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Denmark ...
The food differs slightly, and it seems, is orientated to "regional habits" (e.g. in France, IKEA has similar opening hours to the supermarket cafeterias = closed after noon, only caffee/cake in the afternoon), but all had the meatballs, almond cake ... name it :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:33 am
I'm thinking a fair bit of the menu difference has to do with what the local market will buy. There are things on the Australian menu that just wouldn't go over here. Honey chicken with tomato sauce? errr, no thanks. The North York menu here is big on boiled potatoes, and fries are more difficult to get - unless you're ordering from the kid menu.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2004 10:36 am
Yeah, regional differences makes sense.

There have been swedish meatballs and lingonberries wherever I went. Yummy.
0 Replies