Hooray! The new IKEA Catalogue is here!

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:07 pm
I agree to the above, soz (comparing now the quality for more than 3 years :wink: ).

The better stuff, however, is from quality and price similar to "regular" furnishure shops.

(Mrs Walter and I noticed that perhaps the quality - and range - of products became better (and more expensive) due to the fact that still the same clients are shopping at IKEA as did 30 - 35 years ago Very Happy )
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:11 pm
I did some extensive comparison shopping when I got the armchair -- it was one of the most expensive pieces in their line, but still much, MUCH cheaper than what local stores offer here.

I used to live by a Carson Pirie Scott furniture outlet. Their 75% off prices were still more expensive than comparable items at IKEA. (Like, there was a storage ottoman on sale for $100+ from $400+ -- I got this one [very similar, except this one has a removable washable slipcover and the CPS outlet one didn't] for $79.)

But that's here, I'd believe that Germany is more reasonable.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:16 pm
We got two armchairs and a sofa a couple of weeks ago.

Don't ask me about the price - but included are 10 years guarantee on the cover and 25 on the upholstery/wooden parts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:16 pm
o.k., that's funny, soz. prices on NOTHING are more reasonable in Germany (or anywhere in western Europe).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 12:17 pm
I wasn't in a position to buy anything beyond a $5 scarf when I was there, so I admit ignorance on the subject... (But that $5 scarf woulda been $25 here, so...)
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:05 am
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Quote:
Am I the only one who has the feeling bigdice67 works for Ikea?;-)

Well, I'm from Sweden, and I used to work in 5th biggest furniture store in Germany, not IKEA! Moebel Rogg

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
We got two armchairs and a sofa a couple of weeks ago.

Don't ask me about the price - but included are 10 years guarantee on the cover and 25 on the upholstery/wooden parts.

I bet you paid top euros on that stuff, Walter. There aren't many manufacturers that will give you that kind of guarantees. As a matter of fact, I can only think of 2, or perhaps 3. And they're all top of the line in design, comfort, durability, and-- price...
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:36 am
"Möbel Rogg - Das Kaufhaus des Wohnens". Sounds wünderbar!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 08:43 am
It was actually pretty neat to be surrounded by nice furniture the whole day, unless there were no customers present-- we worked on a percentage, between 1.5% and 3% on waht we sold. Sooo , no customers, ergo a very low payday...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:05 am
bigdice67 wrote:
I bet you paid top euros on that stuff, Walter. There aren't many manufacturers that will give you that kind of guarantees. As a matter of fact, I can only think of 2, or perhaps 3. And they're all top of the line in design, comfort, durability, and-- price...

Yes :wink:
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:12 am
Quote:
Hooray! The new IKEA Catalogue is here!

Really? Maybe for this reason among other this happened:

Stampede at Saudi IKEA kills 3

Quote:
Thousands of shoppers drawn by a voucher offer rushed into an IKEA branch in western Saudi Arabia on Wednesday, causing a stampede that killed three and injured 17, security officials said.

A Saudi and a Pakistani were among those killed, the officials said. The nationality of the third person killed was not given.

After furniture giant IKEA's branch in the Red Sea port city of Jidda announced that it was offering credit vouchers to the first 250 clients Wednesday, some shoppers camped outside Tuesday night. Once the doors opened, the crowd surged forward, causing the stampede.

Ameen Jamal, a senior executive for IKEA Saudi Arabia, said more than 8,000 people had gathered outside the store prior to the opening. He didn't have other details.

Link
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:13 am
Yikes!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:14 am
Shocked
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:18 am
That is so sad :-(
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 09:59 am
Hopefully there were a couple princes at the head of that stampede.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:22 am
Yes - I've certainly hit Ikea - There a couple of stores in Sydney -but - I am not good at assembly - learned a whole new range of swearwords at my last attempt.

When I was in Stockholm last year, we visited a couple of Ikea stores - including the original one - what a range. The Possumcat loves his tiny toy moose!

And we tried the meatballs - I was impressed! you order by the number of meatballs you want.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:39 am
margo wrote:

And we tried the meatballs - I was impressed! you order by the number of meatballs you want.

You get them in any IKEA-store in any country (AUS$ 5.95, served with lingonberries. Add your choice of chips or vegetables :wink: )
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 11:54 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
margo wrote:

You get them in any IKEA-store in any country (AUS$ 5.95, served with lingonberries. Add your choice of chips or vegetables :wink: )

Walter Laughing you're very likely right!

But - it was part of the Sweden experience to eat meatballs (with lingonberries) in the original Ikea store in suburban Stockholm - or I think that was where it was - my sense of direction is entirely non-existent in the northern hemisphere Confused . It was somewhere in Sweden Stockholm-ish.

I've never eaten the meatballs in the Oz one. With lingonberries you say? Hmmmmm! You don't usually see lingonberries here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 12:13 pm
margo wrote:
With lingonberries you say? Hmmmmm! You don't usually see lingonberries here.

They grow them in the backyard of this building in Yarralumla

http://www.embassyofsweden.org.au/images/embassy.jpg
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 12:20 pm
Thye surely do not, Walter - the kangaroos would have eaten them!
Because of the drought, roos are in epidemic proportions around Canberra - and especially in the open grounds at Yarralumla!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 12:51 pm
Doesn't roo make good meatballs?
0 Replies