Medical Insurance - Are You Satisfied With It?

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 08:15 am
There was an article in the last week Parade I think.
Thousands and thousands of people can not afford medical insurance coverige.
One ladies story is just a heartbreaking one. SHe worked for a Co. for many years and had coverage thru them. After she was laid off, she lost her coverage. She was on Cobra for 18 months nad lost that too. She has part time jobs now and doesn't qualify for free insurance, even though her income is low.
She has cancer and no insurance. She says - I've been paying all theese years and never even had to go to a doctor. And now, when I need it - I can't use it.

Does this seem right to you? Up to me - it's outrageous. The person has to keep all of the benefits after he or she paid for insurance certain amount of years.

What dO you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 602 • Replies: 3
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2004 08:23 am
I have felt, for a few years now, that insurance is overrated. The only time you need it is when something catastrophic happens, and they often limit the benefits in that case anyway. I have had insurance and not had insurance and my opinion is that if I can afford it I don't need it. At one time we paid $600 a month to insure a family of 4. We are basically healthy people and this was a waste of money. Without insurance, I still go to the doctor and take my kids to doctors. They send me a bill and I pay what I can when I can. They don't complain and they don't put it on my credit report as long as I pay them something. I think that I prefer not to have insurance as it saves us money. We keep a credit card with a $7500 limit and no balance for emergencies. To sum it all up, I guess I don't 'believe' in insurance.
0 Replies

firelord

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 08:02 am
health insurance
A few years ago, paying $450/mo for health insurance for our family my wife & I began noticing that we were "making-up" reasons to go to a doctor ... to use this insurance we were paying so dearly for. Once we decided to let-it-go we started seeing ourselves being more attentive to our health, not procrastinating and generally being more pro-active healthwise. But it is a dilemma cause there certainly can be the unexpectied or catastrophy, then what (that credit care set-aside is something we also do)? And in the meantime there lies the standard gamble on the direction of our bealth and our philosophy of life bringing us what we need....
life in the american healthcare system!
0 Replies

Miriam May

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2004 06:57 am
Medical insurance as it is is a luxury.
And I know that these days doctors do not treat - they only looking for a return on their investment (time and funds spent for education)

The nurse to the doctor:
-Doctor, we just lost the patient!
-Did he dye?
-No, he got well
0 Replies