Had the "move in" talk...didn't go that well...

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 03:36 pm
I have been in a committed relationship with a man for around 10 months now. We are quite serious and have said "I love you" to each other already and regularly say it often. Things are going great and I want to move it forward even more by moving in with him.

About a month ago, I brought up moving in with my boyfriend (he has his own place). I want to move in with him because I love him and want to be around him more. Before we had this talk I was seeing him around 5 days a week but I didn't stay over all the time. I usually saved that for weekends. The "talk" didn't go as well as I thought it would. He basically said that we needed to be around each-other more and that we weren't ready for it yet. Then he suggested that I stay overnight more often and bring clothes and stuff over to "try it out". I know his reasons are logical, but a part of me can't help but feel hurt that he didn't feel the same way about it (as excited as I was).

A little bit of background. I live with my parents right now (past roommate kicked me out for her new bf to move in). I moved in temporarily with them (or so I thought) and then things took a turn for the worst. I got cut down to part time hours at work ( I work in Oil & Gas) and my salary was reduced 40%. I am in Marketing and don't make a ton to begin with so my temporary stay at mom and dads turned more permanent. I had some lingering debt as well that I planned to pay down and was on track until that curve ball hit. I was able to afford a place with my friend before and pay down this debt until things with my job turned south. My parents told me they would give me a break on rent until I payed it off. I also started my own company doing freelance during this time and after four months was debt free. Then, my dad got laid off and wants to start charging me a reasonable amount for rent which is totally fine by me.

It has been a month now of me spending most nights at his house and I feel so scatterbrained and tired. I feel like nomad that is wandering around without a place to call home. It is also hard on me because of the fact that my parents are always saying I am never around and I feel guilty for this. It's like I am being pulled in two different directions. I feel like I am putting in all of the sacrifice in the relationship which is leading me to become resentful of him.

I know your probably thinking that the easiest way to fix this is that I move into my own place...but to me that would make me feel horrible paying rent to some stranger when I could be supporting my family during these hard times. At least if I moved in with my boyfriend I wouldn't have this guilt as they know I am in love with him and see a future together.

He mentioned that things with his ex went horribly after she moved in. I thought his comment was kind of unfair though as we are completely different people. I am wondering how long it'll be until he is ready and how long I will have to continue living like this for?

Any advice is much appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 444 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 03:44 pm
@lasquiti89,
I'm for staying with your parents (somewhat) or renting a studio apartment (I'm more for that, personal space can be a good idea).
0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 04:37 pm
@lasquiti89,
I think that your boyfriend is smart. People change when they move in together, it's no longer "his" home, it's "yours". The way he likes the house changes as you move things around and take your claim to spots of the house. His habits change as there is time slots set into place ie) dinner on the table. Lots of things. At 10 months there is no rush to live together.

If you want my honest opinion, you love having a place to call your own and are more comfortable living away from home than at home. You stated yourself you won't feel guilty if you moved in with him and not paid rent to your parents that actually need that support at present, that supported you when your finances were bad.

It's entirely up to you what you make of it, staying over. It should still be fun, happy. You're dwelling on him thinking of his past and you dont' accept that, as far as you are concerned you and the ex are two different people. Yes, you are. But, a bad taste in your mouth doesn't go away that fast.

This is a good test for the both of you, forget the ex, she's not the issue it's the way he was made to feel living in his own home. So, what are you going to do about that? Make his stay within his own home happy? And, yourself whilst you are at it? That is what compatibility is about and therefore, being able to live together.

0 Replies