A Clockwork Orange

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:05 am
I saw Clockwork Orange when it was first released. 1970? (Illegally, I was too young). After some copycat violent incidents and because of the fear that delicate little minds such as mine might be permanently damaged by it, Kubrick withdrew the film and it was effectively banned until only recently. I of course have led an entirely spotless life ever since. But I do, for some reason, become very aggressive when I slooshie old Ludwig van B.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:05 am
Kubrick responded to the claim that the film had prompted some copy-cat violence in Great Britain and pulled the film.

The excising of some of the sex scenes is not much different than what was done to "Eyes Wide Shut." I saw the X rated studio preview and then saw it at the Cinerama theater of all places which had since installed a Panavision 70 screen. I don't remember the details with the distributors and would have to research it. Have any links describing the history of the film, Setanta. It was, as I remember, re-edited to qualify as an R rated film.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:06 am
And then, i suspect, the red, red croovey flows . . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:11 am
I have the DVD but as yet haven't watched it. Wonder which version it is?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:16 am
With my droogies. Peeting my chai. Actually I thought it was a very good film. It was making the point that violence done by the state in an effort to curb violent behaviour of the individual has the potential for being every bit as bad as the original violent act.

Wasnt it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:18 am
So it seemed to me . . . i liked the ending in the novel (the original ending) which suggests that all is well, and that status quo ante maintained . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:19 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
With my droogies. Peeting my chai. Actually I thought it was a very good film. It was making the point that violence done by the state in an effort to curb violent behaviour of the individual has the potential for being every bit as bad as the original violent act.

Wasnt it?

I would concur there. I had the pleasure of watching 'Dr. Strangelove' again the other night on digital cable, while we speak of Kubrick.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:20 am
I do hope you did not allow your wife to sap your precious bodily fluids that night . . .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:24 am
Here' a Wikipedia article on the movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clockwork_Orange
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:27 am
I'm coming late to this discussion; was away from the computer for a while.

A great film, and I've enjoyed reading the comments here. Loved the book, too.

Here's another angle to consider: Some of opined that the punk movement may have been partly inspired, visually at least, by the film.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:28 am
Setanta wrote:
I do hope you did not allow your wife to sap your precious bodily fluids that night . . .

I can only say that as interesting as many Kubrick films are, although I'm convinced Eyes Wide Shut was directed by a Stan robot, they do not fuel the 'drive', so to speak.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:30 am
Here's another:

http://kubrickfilms.warnerbros.com/video_detail/cwo/

The DVD version is the X rated version reclassified as R.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:33 am
Setanta wrote:
i liked the ending in the novel (the original ending) which suggests that all is well, and that status quo ante maintained . . .

WARNING: END OF MOVIE DISCUSSION

Hey Set,

Perhaps you can clear something up for me. I saw the movie but never read the book. The ending I remember was a roll in the snow with a female companion. Which ending was this?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:40 am
In the novel, Alex is sitting in a roadside cafe, when some punk begins harrassing someone else--(keep in mind, i read this more than 30 years ago)--and Alex is amused to be reminded of himself at that age. A truck driver tells him (the punk) to "piss off, you awkward ****"--and Alex is reassured that all's right with the world.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:41 am
"Eyes Wide Shut" opened to 82% positive reviews from the major film critics and I have watched it more than once. It is a good film but I feel Kubrick needed to show some bravery, cast less
known actors (although Kidman is always watchable -- sometimes devastating as in "Dogville") and shoot in black-and-white.

The DVD should be the original ending of the film. I haven't thoroughly read my links yet but perhaps you'll find something there. Enter into Google

"A Clockwork Orange" X rated version

and you will get a lot of hits.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:42 am
I heard that the novel ending was something forced on Burgess by his publisher.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:44 am
I'd go farther and say the punk movement may have considered the book and the movie their gospel. Must be something on the Internet regarding that subject.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 10:46 am
(Woe on to some in that movement if they didn't really understand the satire).
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:05 am
Agreed. Then again, seen at this remove, a lot of punk was satire, too. Take the Sex Pistols...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 01:10 pm
It doesn't take long for a lampoon to lampoon itself.
0 Replies