A Clockwork Orange

Canoy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:52 pm
Anyone seen this film? So far, I am the only one I've met that didn't want to leave the room after about 5 minutes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,165 • Replies: 61
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:07 pm
outstanding film, certainly one of my all-time favs but very dark. The book, by Burgess is even better and contaqins a complete dictionary he created for the language used in the book and into the film.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:09 pm
A strong political metaphor based on an outstanding book. Seared in my memory as one of the top 5 in my favorites locker. The soundtrack was pure genius too. I listen to it quite often
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 01:17 pm
One of my favorite lines as Minister feeds Alex as if he were a baby bird...

Minister: As I was saying, Alex, you can be instrumental in changing the public verdict. Do you understand, Alex? Have I made myself clear?
Alex DeLarge: As an unmuddied lake, Fred. As clear as an azure sky of deepest summer. You can rely on me, Fred.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:24 pm
The gloss was left out of the American edition of the book, and the ending was changed, to that which was subsequently used in the motion picture. I prefer the original ending of the novel.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:27 pm
How did Kubrik feel about it Set?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:30 pm
Beats me, we never got along well, so i never asked him . . .
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:34 pm
Shocked

Don't you hate it when you send your friends presents and they don't respond?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:42 pm
drival.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 04:01 pm
Am I correct in remembering that Clockwork Orange (the film) was banned in the UK until relatively recently from being shown in theatres?

BTW, I'm not a big movie goer but I read a lot of reviews (odd). The new Japanese film "Heroes" is supposed to be awesome. Y'all seen it yet?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 05:10 pm
Don't know it Johnboy
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 06:46 am
Great book, great movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:45 am
Kubrick is the Stravinsky of filmmakers and this is his "Rite of Spring." The artistic quality of the film is there on the screen and it's one of the most brilliant adaptations of a novel ever conceived. The imagery is inspired and unpretentious.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:51 am
It's on my top 10 list. I think I've seen it at least five times, and read the book at least three times.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:18 am
Not only that, LW, i happen to love ol' Louie Beethoven's Ninth and the Ode to Joy . . . Alex is a bit disturbing, but the music more than makes up for that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:19 am
Do you know off-hand, LW, if Kubrick is responsible for the score in CO, and in 2001?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:57 am
Yes, Kubrick chose the classical music himself and was a close friend of Wendy Carlos who worked on "Clockwork" with her (his, ha ha) electronic interpretations. Kubrick rejected Alex North's original score for "2001" which is now available on DVD. North was a bit miffed that he was not informed and found his score missing at the premiere of "2001." Kubrick was noted for this kind of rather arogant action having rewritten "Lolita" as a more of a dark comic satire and rejecting the original script by the author himself.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:05 am
Incidentally, I believe the music is still credited to Walter Carlos on the films credits but the newest remasters may have made the change with digital technology. Sex changes can cause confusion in several ways!

The IMDb credits for the music:

Wendy Carlos (electronic music) (as Walter Carlos)
Rachel Elkind (uncredited)

Link to profile of Rachel Elkind-Tourre:

http://www.wendycarlos.com/rachel.html
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:14 am
There are loads of Clockwork Orange trivia here. The most amazing to me was that Anthony Burgess only received $500 for the film rights. Sheesh. It is currently voted as one of the top 100 films on imdb (#72).

Here's a bit of trivia you won't find -- my dad bought (or most likely traded for) a cabin-cruiser about the same time that the film came out. It was a godawful shade of orange. Yep... he let me christen her "The Clockwork Orange." I'll bet there were not many boats with the same name. It was wishful thinking though... that boat did not run like clockwork.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 11:25 am
The future society was running like a broken clock also! That's a great anecdote, BTW, Piffka. Gee I'm just on a compliment Piffka day.
0 Replies