Post College Woes

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:47 pm
Hello all,

I'm just going to rant a little bit, please feel free to respond.

Background: I'm a 22 year old RN, just graduated nursing school working in the ER, and no, I'm not gay Cool . I'm in a band, I play guitar, and we are half-decent. I'm 6'5'' and not half bad looking.

So, I'm a young guy with a steady, well paying job, who's in a band. You'd think the girls would just be flocking right? NO! It's quite frustrating to either have women hit on me, during shows, who aren't really my type (i.e. loose), or have the girls I like already involved.

Thank you for listening, I feel better...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,884 • Replies: 20
No top replies

capsaddy

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 11:55 pm
Maybe it would help if you tried to meet girls in different settings. You have to look for the girls that are your type. You cant expect them to come to you. Sometimes you'll meet someone in a place you'd least expect it. Like the supermarket or maybe at the park or even on here.. My boyfriend and I talked online for almost a year before he moved up here for me (knew him when I was younger) But the internet is a great place to meet people in my opinion. Smile good luck with the girls Smile

OH, and I know many "Normal" women who think men that play guitar is hot.. I'm one of them, I've even started playing Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 08:37 am
Go for the personals, either online or through newspapers or magazines. That's how I met my husband (no lie). :-D

By taking direct charge of your dating life, and asking for what you want and showing what you are like, the chances of making a better, more sustained match, are greater, so long as you go with a forum that is large enough (e. g. don't use the personals in a paper with 2,000 in circulation. You want a much larger pool of potential candidates). Best to you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:10 am
Can you carry a tune?

Check out community theatre and try out for the chorus--or even a speaking part--in a musical. Women outnumber men six to one in community theatre.

Can't sing? Drop by tryouts or rehearsals and offer to work crew or build sets or collect props.

You'll meet lots of women.
0 Replies

Fender J

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 11:14 am
Thanks for all the replies.

I can't really sing, but I sure do make my guitar sing (cheesy, I know).

As far as online personals, I can't really bring myself to do that. Just seems...desperate. Sorry, hope that doesn't offend. I have this stigma that I'll find social rejects...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 12:35 pm
Desperate is using your musical talent to pick up chicks. Reconsider Jespah's advice.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 02:59 pm
You have ever reason to think that. That's what most of us were brought up to believe about online personals.

However, most of us live busy lives in big cities and do not like to go clubbing. Or when we do go out, don't feel comfortable rubbing hips next to any gal w/o a ring.

I also met my soon-to-be on the net. match.com

When I lived in D.C. and had no car, I used match.com to meet people. I was far from desperate, and no one has ever called me an ugly toad. There are desperate folks there. However, please please tell me how this differs from a club? Please tell me how this differs from the desperate guy/chick who calls you nonstop that you met at the grocery store, who soons turn into a psycho? Actually, since you are a guy ...I see no reason for you to sweat over meeting a chick over the net.

Search for ads with only pics.
After emailing them and deciding you two click, exchange phone numbers. At this time, you may have bonded enough to politely joke that you "hear" most girls put old pics. Just as a lead in to, "was that a recent pic and/or could you send me one?"

If she lied to you and comes to your door looking completely opposite of what she said, then SAY SORRY and CLOSE THE DOOR!!!! She lied to you. No reason to feel bad. She'll feel horrible, but I believe "life sucks at times."

I'm a blunt gal, so have no shame in just warning them before we meet that I would do this. This however has never happened.

I take my time searching.
I build a friendship. They are just as interested as I am, and if the light is on at all up in the old noggin, you should be able to sense whether she is lying to you or not about WHATEVER she says she is.

Meeting someone for tea a day after you grinded on them at the club is NO different. You can't tell from one 5-minute conversation from a dark smokey club whether she's "normal."

I can guarantee she's probably more worried about YOU than you are her.

My girlfriends in DC who were in the same shoes (worked 12 hrs a day, no car) also had personals and they're HOT mamas.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:07 pm
DC? I grew up in Annandale and later Arlington!
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:22 pm
I was born in MD, and lived in Arlington for 4 yrs (ft. myer) when I was in the military. Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:26 pm
I remember Ft Myer...I lived at Lee Hway and Glebe Rd. What ...oh never mind...so
I met my sweetie online 3 years ago and wasn't too interested at first and she kept cool and woo'd me and the rest is...history. I can say that I never had a bad experience online...
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:29 pm
Meeting the right one
You're only 22. You have lots of good shopping years ahead of you. You have no reason to feel sad because you haven't found that special person yet. Whatever you do--don't settle -- keep shopping until you find the right fit.

You never know where you'll find the love of your life. I found mine when I least expected it would happen. The guardians of your fate will bring the right person into your path when you're ready to be together. And then you will find true happiness for all the days of your life. Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:30 pm
amen
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:38 pm
you currently have a girlfriend from online? Cool.

Truth of the matter is, most of my GUY friends DO have bad experiences online, but let me run you through the scenario.

Them: recent grad. level-headed good guys.

Go online, email a few girls.
<start getting horny>

Me: You should ask for a RECENT pic and tell them this is what you expect, and she can go to any Kinko's and scan a pic.

Them: okay.

<hornier and friday approaches>

Email is sent out by them saying, "What the heck. Let's meet. I don't care if the pic isn't recent."

Monday morning: Man, I met that chick I told you about. She made the herpes on my ---- look hot. It was that bad. Sad

Me: dummy.

All of them have scenarios like this. They do this for 2 yrs. AT THE SAME TIME, continue to go to the club and pick up ugly chicks or chicks that have bfs or serious issues.

Then when they stop trying so hard, relaxed, and took their time .....had a few dates from the net they are proud of sharing. They may have not lasted "forever," but their time will come.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:43 pm
It took a good year for me to ask her out...by that time it felt right..and get this: I sent a photo but never asked for one in return. When she tapped me on the shoulder at the restaurant bar I was so taken that I hugged her. What a way to start eh?
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 03:44 pm
Aweeeeee..... how sweet. Smile

I think that's romantic.
0 Replies

Fender J

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 09:50 am
Nice, you guys are from DC? I live in Centreville/Fairfax now. Lived in Falls Church my first two years of college. In fact, we played at the Firehouse Grille this weekend, you guys know it?

And Panzade, I don't try to pick chicks up w/ my music, I do that cause I like to play. If I was using it for chicks, I'd take home the women that hit on me at shows.

Joahaeyo, you raise some good arguments. We will see how the internet thing comes along...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:55 pm
Sorry to ruffle your feathers Bass man(BTW, what year Jazz?) My bad.
I graduated from FC high school. Used to live off Gallows Road. Fire House Grill didn't exist then...what road is it on? You have to understand, when I played in DC, Seven Corners was the big shopping mall, Tysons Corner was a corn field and blah blah blah.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 01:57 pm
My Baby!

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/C4/71/MikeSchonbach/2/4.jpg
0 Replies

Fender J

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 02:03 pm
Firehouse is off of university drive, by GMU. Right off 236. I don't have a picture of my rig, or I'd post it.
0 Replies

Mr Bain

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 06:39 pm
Run for office. People will naturally come to know who you are, and surely you will find at least one date.
0 Replies