CIA 'mistakenly' destroys copy of 6,700-page US torture report

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 05:23 pm
CIA 'mistakenly' destroys copy of 6,700-page US torture report
The report contains thousands of secret files about the CIA's use of interrogation methods

Quote:
The CIA inspector general’s office has said it “mistakenly” destroyed its only copy of a comprehensive Senate torture report, despite lawyers for the Justice Department assuring a federal judge that copies of the documents were being preserved.

The erasure of the document by the spy agency’s internal watchdog was deemed an “inadvertent” foul-up by the inspector general, according to Yahoo News.

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 05:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
This kind of thing happens too often in various agencies, something that makes them look bad is "accidentally" deleted. Evidence is "accidentally" lost.

Sucks that they tend to get away with it. I think there should be punishments for even accidental loss of evidence.
dlowan

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 06:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Oh yeah, I believe that one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 06:21 pm
one copy?

what kind of banana republic are they running?

sheesh
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 06:24 pm
@ehBeth,
It's a bit confusing but it was their only copy but I believe there is another copy that for some reason is tied up in some legal wrangling. But yeah, they should have more than one copy themselves. I have 4 copies of all my files in different locations.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:42 pm
Our country drone kills at will, has bombed 7 countries in the last seven years, is engaging in a global trade pact that the citizens don't even know the particulars about, gave Monsanto protection against lawsuits...

I think the time to expect accountability and transparency have ended. Any power the people had to demand information has evaporated. We're moving pretty rapidly into a new era where average people are openly expendable.

The CIA will do as they please. We allow it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:43 pm
@Lash,
The CIA has always done that, it's nothing new and they used to be a lot worse and even less accountable.
Lash

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 06:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
What era, please. I'd like to read.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 07:00 pm
@Lash,
Up until the 80s and the Iran-Contra scandal finally coming out the CIA was out of control. Involvement in cocaine and heroin trafficking to fund militants and all that. Secret wars and all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_involvement_in_Contra_cocaine_trafficking
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_of_CIA_drug_trafficking

Then they were reined in a bit till 911 when they were given a much looser leash in the aftermath and fear that it caused, and the Obama administration took that further. So there's some truth to the notion that they have been getting more leeway to kill recently (Obama has preferred them over the military in his counterterrorism) but back in the day they were like a rogue army that did what it wants.

Here are some timelines with a lot of them (though I do not agree with all of the claims here):

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/CIAtimeline.html
http://hubpages.com/politics/Top-25-Crimes-of-the-CIA
0 Replies