Study: Misperceiving BS as Profound Is Associated with Favorable Views of Cruz, Rubio, Trump

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 02:36 pm
Misperceiving Bullshit as Profound Is Associated with Favorable Views of Cruz, Rubio, Trump and Conservatism

Quote:
The present research investigates the associations between holding favorable views of potential Democratic or Republican candidates for the US presidency 2016 and seeing profoundness in bullshit statements. In this contribution, bullshit is used as a technical term which is defined as communicative expression that lacks content, logic, or truth from the perspective of natural science. We used the Bullshit Receptivity scale (BSR) to measure seeing profoundness in bullshit statements. The BSR scale contains statements that have a correct syntactic structure and seem to be sound and meaningful on first reading but are actually vacuous. Participants (N = 196; obtained via Amazon Mechanical Turk) rated the profoundness of bullshit statements (using the BSR) and provided favorability ratings of three Democratic (Hillary Clinton, Martin O’Malley, and Bernie Sanders) and three Republican candidates for US president (Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and Donald Trump). Participants also completed a measure of political liberalism/conservatism. Results revealed that favorable views of all three Republican candidates were positively related to judging bullshit statements as profound. The smallest correlation was found for Donald Trump. Although we observe a positive association between bullshit and support for the three Democrat candidates, this relationship is both substantively small and statistically insignificant. The general measure of political liberalism/conservatism was also related to judging bullshit statements as profound in that individuals who were more politically conservative had a higher tendency to see profoundness in bullshit statements. Of note, these results were not due to a general tendency among conservatives to see profoundness in everything: Favorable views of Republican candidates and conservatism were not significantly related to profoundness ratings of mundane statements. In contrast, this was the case for Hillary Clinton and Martin O’Malley. Overall, small-to-medium sized correlations were found, indicating that far from all conservatives see profoundness in bullshit statements.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 1,331 • Replies: 18

engineer

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 02:53 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Fascinating methodology. I love that someone has created a Bullshit Receptivity index. I'd also never heard of Amazon Mechanical Turk before.
roger

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 03:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Quote:
In this contribution, bullshit is used as a technical term. . .

This is news? I've always used bullshit as a technical term
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 03:10 pm
@engineer,
Man Mechanical Turk sounded like it would be amazing 10 years or so ago when it came out. But it's really not lived up to its promise for me. I'll need to revisit it again to try some new ideas on it.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 03:50 pm
I thought this was from The Onion when I saw the title.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:10 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The very fact of perceiving BS as profound is interesting all by itself.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:26 pm
@rosborne979,
It's so common, throw in a couple of words people don't know and you can convince them that X food is bad etc.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:34 pm
If the bs draws on common prejudices, it should be foolproof to succeed.
engineer

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
The BS is completely random stuff and is not related to politics (from the example they gave.)
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 04:50 pm
@engineer,
May I go out and play now?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 07:24 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
It's so common, throw in a couple of words people don't know and you can convince them that X food is bad etc.

I listened to a discussion of this phenomena on The Skeptics Guide to the Universe, not long ago.

Here is a link to the Deepak Chopra Phrase Generator: http://wisdomofchopra.com
revelette2

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 08:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
You mean like Gluten? Don't most people have internet service where they can look these unknowable words up?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 May, 2016 08:09 pm
@rosborne979,
Cool . . . i had never heard of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe--thanks!
rosborne979

Reply Thu 19 May, 2016 04:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Cool . . . i had never heard of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe--thanks!

They have great discussions and a convenient podcast. Highly recommended.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 08:09 pm
I'd say the same of those who misperceive as profound that which is merely complex.
Chumly

Reply Fri 20 May, 2016 08:20 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Misperceiving BS as profound is associated with favorable views of Cruz, Rubio, Trump and of course the elephant in the room, the three major Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Or put another way: there's a sucker born every minute!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 11:02 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
I'd say the same of those who misperceive as profound that which is merely complex.
I've been searching for a quote from Edgar Allen Poe saying the same thing; but I'll have to settle for this now:
Quote:
One of the great mind destroyers of college education is the belief that if it's very complex, it's very profound. . . Dennis Prager
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 11:04 am
@neologist,
Sometimes the water is not deep, merely murky.
dlowan

Reply Sat 21 May, 2016 03:45 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Sometimes the water is not deep, merely murky.

And other times it is not shallow, merely clear.

; )
0 Replies