The Trans Movement Just Had Its “I Have a Dream” Moment

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 01:46 pm
Loretta Lynch Just Became the World’s Most Powerful Advocate for Trans Rights

Quote:
...But you can’t understand the full import of the DOJ’s actions until you watch Lynch’s astonishing speech announcing the lawsuit. Lynch is wry and unassuming in person; on Monday, she was as fierce and passionate as any member of the pantheon of American civil rights defenders. Lynch joined that pantheon on Monday. Her remarks are certainly the most important speech ever delivered on the topic of trans rights by any government official. They are a turning point in the history of LGBTQ rights in the United States, a resounding declaration of the equal dignity of trans Americans.

“This action is about a great deal more than just bathrooms,” Lynch explained. “This is about the dignity and respect we accord our fellow citizens and the laws that we, as a people and as a country, have enacted to protect them—indeed, to protect all of us. And it’s about the founding ideals that have led this country—haltingly but inexorably—in the direction of fairness, inclusion and equality for all Americans.”

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 03:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Whoa! That was some speech!

Fascinating to see the full power of federal law coming to bear on North Carolina's toilets.

Interesting to see a major battle of the culture war playing out.

Go Feds!
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 04:01 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Whoa! That was some speech!

Was powerful and I loved the hell out of it!
dlowan

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 06:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes, it was effective and impassioned through the power of its reason.

I can still feel the horror of visiting one of our men's prisons in the early eighties and seeing an obviously trans something person...I am thinking she would likely have been on hormones at least...being processed by a bunch of standard issue prison officers with the sensitivity of bull elephants in musth. They had the sense to stop taunting her when they saw me. I complained on her behalf, but I know it would have made no difference.

Interesting where the battlegrounds of civil rights are.

We shall fight them on the buses! We shall fight them in the schools! We shall fight them in the toilets!
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:09 pm
@dlowan,
Unfortunately I think prisons tend to be among the last places human rights are fought for. But it's heartening to see human rights evolve and advance and it's nice to be in one of the moments where some of them are lurching forward.

I am happy that it looks like I'll live to see the day when these backward views are seen just as backwards as the once race-segregated bathrooms and water fountains are.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 05:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I agree with both of you, and felt joy reading her speech. Brava! and then more Bravas.

0 Replies