Unsupervised kids + car accident w/a learner's permit!

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:52 am
Dd13 asked to go to her friend's house at 3:30. They live down the road: a mother w/2 dds: 15 & 13 (an oldest lives in Vegas.) No big deal, right? Just hanging out w/friends after school, right? Dd13 had her homework done, so why not, no? Well, the mother, it turns out, was visiting the oldest dd in Vegas and the aunties were supposed to pick up the girls or make sure they go to school on time (they all live close by.) The dd15 has her learner's permit decided to take the other kids at the house cruising to McDonald's for some food... They went and got some food, went to several fast food dives it turns out... the 15 yr old was burning rubber and wanted to go meet up with her friends, so my dd13 and her friend and another 13 yr old asked to be dropped back at their house... Anyway, she went out again, burning rubber, and met up with her friends, came home, no brakes left, and hit the wall! The only good was that it happened on private property, so the police couldn't get involved (the mom works for the police dept, btw.) It was a big scene, w/aunties and uncles intervening, or so my dd tells me.

While the 15 year old was off in the car, the 13 year old had a bunch of friends over. It was just kids getting together, but a mixed group. Nothing happened with them, this time, but...

I'm still trying to sort out what I am feeling about all of this. Dd13 used to be best friends w/the younger girl about 3 years ago... they had a falling out over some little nothing thing but are firends again, just not best any more... The older girl is exceptionally pretty, but has attached herself to older kids since intermediate school. The mom is gone a whole[/i] lot... But, on the other hand, there, but for the grace of God, go I...

My dd13 thought it was legal for a child to drive with a learner's permit. She didn't hear me say that you can't drive without the learner's permit. Also, I thought she said that they were walking to the 7-11 (about 1/2 a mile down the road from the girls' house.) But no, apparently, dd13 thought I gave permissionfor her to drive w/her friend's older sister w/just a learner's permit!

How would you handle the lessons to be learned from this golden teaching opportunity? We've gone over listening to the content of what Mom said, rather than hearing what you want to hear... A brief touching on responsibility for your actions while driving... I've never had a teenage girl before. My boys, I controlled to the nth *. I was trying to let dd13 have more room to grow and find herself. She found herself piled up 2 above the bottom, on a a boy who is the neighbor of these girls (a boy dd13 mentions more than most, whatever that means...)

I am thinking of telling dd she can have the girls over to our house, even the boy (they live about 1/2 a mile down the road on a private road) but she doesn't get to go over there unless the mom is home (she usually is working: it costs plenty to live in Hawaii~ I have chosen to work only enough to pay the minimum to live so I can be a sahm most of the time my kids aren't in school.) The mom and I aren't close, but should I offer any sort of assistance I can be? Or should I mind my own bidness here? Just take care of my own? I don't mean to sensationalize this, but so very little that is extraordinary ever happens to me...

Apparently the 15 year old felt that it wasn't her fault that she took the car since the mom left the key in the house. Rolling Eyes The story is still unfolding. I suppose this is a chance for dd13 and me to bond some more, so I am going to watch "Mars Attacks" w/her. I can see a number of teachable moments here, but not sure I will be able to mine them all... It makes me not want to work more than I do, but to do so condemns us to financial poverty...

Do you all ever think how if we just desire nothing, how life would work so much more simply? If the mom (in this case,) didn't work, she wouldn't be able to afford to go to vegas or[/b] have a nice car... Or have left money for kids to go buy their own food... But, on the other hand, who in their right mind leaves a pair of young teens home alone for about a week???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 948 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:12 am
pp--

What a mess. I'd definitely put a ban on visiting that house unless Mama is Stateside. If the 15 year old is insisting that "Not my fault....sheleft the keys in the house," I'd discourage contact with the 15 year old whether or not Mama is Stateside.

The "not my fault" angle is the most unsavoury part of the unwholesome event.

I'm not sure that cracking the car up on private property is a blessing. On public property, the 15 year old would no longer have a Learner's Permit. Can you check with the Police or Bureau of Motor Vehicles to find out whether your daughter would be facing any charges had the accident happened on public property?

Beware, Be wary. You see this mess as a Rich Compendium of Teachable Moments. Your daughter may well see it as A Taste of Real Life with a Flavor of Cutting Edge Romance. Do not lecture past the point of hostility.

Bright spot: Your daughter is not pregnant.

Enjoy your gray hairs--you're earning them.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 12:09 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
pp--

What a mess. I'd definitely put a ban on visiting that house unless Mama is Stateside. If the 15 year old is insisting that "Not my fault....sheleft the keys in the house," I'd discourage contact with the 15 year old whether or not Mama is Stateside.

The "not my fault" angle is the most unsavoury part of the unwholesome event.

I'm not sure that cracking the car up on private property is a blessing. On public property, the 15 year old would no longer have a Learner's Permit. Can you check with the Police or Bureau of Motor Vehicles to find out whether your daughter would be facing any charges had the accident happened on public property?

Beware, Be wary. You see this mess as a Rich Compendium of Teachable Moments. Your daughter may well see it as A Taste of Real Life with a Flavor of Cutting Edge Romance. Do not lecture past the point of hostility.

Bright spot: Your daughter is not pregnant.

Enjoy your gray hairs--you're earning them.

Hold your dominion.

Yup. Mmhm. <Nods. at the middle parts> Lol!

I've been waiting for dd13 to listen and pull as part of the home team before I would pay for her to be in the volleyball league (although the dd13 at the other house was in the league last year, w/my dd...) Anyway, I keep thinking that if I had already signed her up, she would have been busy 2 afternoons/week (although not Thursdays,) and then she would have been too busy to have time to go walk over there and be present when trouble came knocking... She did put the laundry away, although she didn't help the little uns hang up their school clothes, so their stuff was stuffed into drawers and stuffed under their bed while she was home and responsible for seeing the job done... We all know the old adage about what happens to idle hands...

The part that scares me most is that my dd13 thought it was ok to get into a car being driven by a child with only a learner's permit!!! How'd that get past my mom radar!?!?

And I had forgotten that M (the boy who is so bad, who surfs where dd does, who causes trouble, who has a mouth, who dd13 verbally puts/shuts down when he mouths off) lives down that same road... She protests that she's not interested in this particular boy a little bit too much...

Girls are so much more taxing than boys at 13. My boys were still innocents in the world at 13. My girl is an innocent, but she sporting short skirts and practicing her tough girl stance. She used to just be a sporty jock girl, but now she's one with an attitude and a curvy figure!!!
0 Replies