Recently diagnosed - Forteo Cost?

dee-dee

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 10:44 pm
Hi everyone, I am new to this site. My doctor told me I have severe osteoporosis yesterday and he wants me to start Forteo. I do feel better after reading here that the injections aren't as bad as I thought.

My main concern is the cost of Forteo. I have been out of work since May because of back pain (degen. disc disease) and now this. I applied for SS disability last week. My husband works and has insurance, but we still can't afford these meds even after our insurance pays, but he said you "can't afford not to." I read somewhere to ask your doctor about a program from Forteo where you can get the injections for $12? I think my husband's salary may be too high for me to qualify for any program and also since he has insurance, even though we are just barely making it from week to week on one salary. I am very interested to find out what everyone else is paying for this drug because I will probably start it next week. I asked him about pills and he said I needed the injections.

I am so glad I found this board.

Dee-Dee
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,028 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 05:26 am
dee-dee- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

You are right. Forteo is VERY expensive.

http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/prices/drugprice.asp?ndc=00002897101&aid=336162&aparam=xsp158523

Are you over 55? If you are check this out:

http://www.benefitscheckup.org/

There are a lot of benefit plans for seniors with limited incomes, that are sponsored by specific drug companies. For most of them you have to be 65. But check out the link above. Good luck!
0 Replies

lionheartgirl

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 07:09 am
Forteo Cost and their program
Yes, Forteo is pricey. Thankfully my insurance covers it. For a 3 month supply home delivered from the Rx plan I pay $80 and the plan picks up $1,593. Yikes! The first time I got it filled from the retail Rx my pharmacist's jaw dropped. This cost $700. Yup.

However, before I started taking it my doctor hosted a meeting at his office with the Eli Lilly nurse rep (who usually does diabetes training but because this is an injectable she does this too). She told us that Eli Lilly has a program for Forteo for people without insurance and limited income to be able to take it. They will give you a card that you take to the pharmacy and they swipe it like a credit card. Definitely check it out. Their website is www.forteo.com. Don't worry that you don't have a log on, you will get one when you become a patient. The links at the bottom of the page work for you to read all their info. Their number is 1-866-FORTEO, M-F 8 am to 7 pm Eastern time.

At this point in their product lifecycle I think they want people to be taking it to prove the results. Definitely check it out. Good Luck.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 12:57 pm
It sounds like you have excellent health insurance. I've considered dropping the drug plan of my health insurance, since I take only a few meds. Thank God Forteo isn't one of them!
0 Replies