Recuyell of the Historyes of Troye

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 04:50 pm
English printer who published the first book in English, Recuyell of the Historyes of Troye

What language is " Recuyell of the Historyes of Troye'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,752 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:15 pm
It is English heavily influenced by French. The verb recuellir means to collect, and i strongly suspect an error here somewhere. Is this a Caxton title? Do you have a link?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:30 pm
O.K., Oristar, i went out and did a little work. William Caxton's first published book, 1474, The Recuyell of the Historyes of Troye is apparently based upon a work by a French gentleman named Le Fèvre, Recueil des histoires de Troye, which means Collection of the stories (or histories) of Troy. It appears that Mr. Caxton rather mangled the French, although his spelling of the word recueil may represent an English usage which was current in the 15th century.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:53 pm
I think the term is "Middle English". At the time publishing in "Middle English" was quite shocking since Latin was the universal language of Scholars.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 02:52 am
Hi Setanta and Noddy,

Regarding the word Recuyell, here some Chinese translators said it is "review". There is no clue why they thought so.

But you have indicated the weird word is from French. So I incline to accept your idea -- the word means collection.

Noddy said that is ME. I wonder if a high school or college student should learn it.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 03:16 am
Mr Caxton didn't just mangle English/French - he also set a precedent for purloining intellectual property and 're-badging' it that continues today.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 05:24 am
No Oristar, there is no reason to learn the word. It is an interesting bit of literary trivia, but no of much use.

Mr. Ponquility, a very apt and just evaluation of Mr. Caxton's career.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 05:38 am
The book is rather famous, since it is the first one printed in English (1474/5 in Brugge:
Quote:
The book in manuscript was much sought after, and the labour of copying was too heavy and too slow to meet the demand. Therefore, he says, "I have practysed & lerned at my grete charge & dispense to ordeyne this said book in prynte…that every man may have them attones."

[The first book printed in English AND in England - " Dictes or Sayengis of the Philosophres´" was printed by the same printer (William Caxton) in 1477 in Westminster.]
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:01 am
Middle English is very useful for reading works in Middle English. Chaucer is well worth reading, but learning ME is a great deal of work for one dead, white poet who can be read in translation.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:17 am
I nice and easy to understand tutorial, which partly uses William Caxton's printings, is to be found HERE.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:18 am
OristarA, don't be daft.
Do not bother with mediaeval (my sp.) language.
It is enough just to know about it.
It's hard enough learning the modern tongue.

McT
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 06:37 am
Precisely what does Caxton being dead and white have to do with anything? Sounds like the feminist DWEM's crap.
0 Replies