Sleep Study and Sleeping Disorders

husker

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:45 am
I'm taking the machine and mask in this afternoon for a refit and they are also going to review the data collected for any insights.
The CPap - I'm using now is a diagnostic model to try and determine which machine might work best for my needs - (what ever those are LOL)
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 08:48 am
Oh I forgot to mention the Doc mentioned when they sent me home on Friday
Quote:
" we have a hard time getting this machine back - patients love it so much"
so leaving the office I was excited to GET the RIGHT sleep! LOL LOL now I'm feeling keep the fricking machine - I'll take my chances - LOL Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:53 pm
So far,ok but that's hard news:

Quote:
Doctor Says Woman Has Sleep-Sex Disorder

By day, she was a respectable middle-aged woman who lived with a steady partner. By night, she would creep out of their house to seek random sex with strangers.

But the woman in question was entirely unaware of her double life, which was conducted while she was asleep, said the Sydney doctor who treated her.

"Incredulity is the first staging post for anyone involved in this," - including medicos, said Peter Buchanan, a sleep physician at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.

"One has to maintain a healthy degree of scepticism. As doctors we are largely trustful of our patients telling us the truth about themselves."

In this case, though, it was clear the woman's story was not an ingenious cover for clandestine sexual flamboyance. The patient was baffled; her partner distraught. "He was aware of some sleepwalking and there was circumstantial evidence, including the unexplained presence of condoms around the house," Dr Buchanan said.

"On one occasion he awoke to find her absent from the bedroom and searched until he found her - engaged in such activity."
Advertisement Advertisement

Her condition, known as sleep sex, is a recently identified sleep disorder, Dr Buchanan will tell the Annual Scientific Meeting of the Australasian Sleep Association in Sydney this weekend.

Sleep sex is increasingly being recognised as a real and personally devastating condition, said Dr Buchanan, who expects it will be included in the next revision of the International Classification of Sleep Disorders, giving it the final stamp of legitimacy. It is fraught with personal danger through risky sex practices, and legal danger - if the sufferer commits sexual assault while sleepwalking.

Dr Buchanan said it was hard to confirm the diagnosis, because staying overnight in a sleep laboratory would generally inhibit the behaviour. But in the woman's case, brain tests while she was sleeping showed she was unusually likely to rouse from deep sleep without passing first through lighter sleep patterns - a phenomenon linked to all types of parasomnia.

Almost half of sleep sex cases were associated with psychological problems, and the woman was treated successfully with psychotherapy. But the fact that the condition manifested as aberrant sexual behaviour did not indicate sexual abuse or any other sexual problem, said Dr Buchanan, and it should be viewed as a sleep disorder, not a sexual disorder.

"There's a huge embarrassment about seeking medical help," he said.

Source
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 01:34 am
I've had two separate sleep studies performed, one a home study and the second at the Sleep Medical Institute in my city. Neither were uncomfortable nor burdensome. My problem has never been falling asleep but rather staying asleep as the latency to sleep in both studies attested to. I have a combination of major obstructive sleep apnea as well as extremely delayed or non existent level 3 and level 4 deep sleep. A regular sleep cycle consists of 5 levels of sleep that do cycle throughout the night in about 90 minute cycles...from level 1 through 4, REM and then back up to 1 again to start over. I stay in levels 1 and 2 for about 300 minutes and fall straight into REM where my cessation of breathing (apnea) is at its highest, about 45 times per hour. Each period of apnea lasted between 10 to 25 seconds before I would kick in and start breathing again on my own. For me, a CPAP with the humidifier is pretty much a necessity if I want to get any restorative sleep at all.

Lowered serotonin levels in my brain are another reason for my sleep disorders. Serotonin is a chemical found in our brains and spinal fluid. It helps regulate mood, sleepiness, calmness and relaxation. Lower levels of serotonin in some people can be a cause of sleep deprivation or sleep disorders. In some cases of mild sleep deprivation one can increase the levels of serotonin by increasing the amount of tryptophan in their systems. Tryptophan is an essential amino acid that is not produced by our bodies, thus we must get it from outside sources. Some food sources that contain tryptophan are milk, walnuts, bananas, turkey, salmon and strawberries. The biggest problem with just relying on putting more tryptophan into our diets to increase serotonin so we sleep better at night is that tryptophan uses the same means of transport into the brain as other amino acids and has to compete against them to cross the blood-brain barrier. As it happens, tryptophan is the least abundant amino acid and is forced to fight for access against the more common amino acids and usually serotonin levels are not increased significantly to make much of a difference. Sad

So...what do we do then? When a sleep disorder is not apnea related but most likely due to lower serotonin levels? An herbal approach is one way and there are many choices of tryptophan available in natural vitamin stores. By increasing the abundance of tryptophan in your system, more is likely to enter the brain thus converting to serotonin. Caution must always be used though when using any herbal medication, especially if it is combined with any prescription medications. Natural does not always equal beneficial. I was sicker than a dog taking natural tryptophan. Many physicians, now utilize the beneficial effects of SSRI's for some sleep disorders. SSRI's are Selective Serotonin Re-Uptake Inhibitors. They allow the body to use the serotonin levels that are already present to their maximum effectiveness, letting the serotonin flow freely across the chemical channels in the brain without hinderance. Ahhh, anti-depressants...not just for depression anymore!

I work hard to get a good nights sleep every night and can completely empathize with anyone who does have a difficult time. One of my dreams is to actually get a full 8 hours of truly wonderful sleep! One night at a time....
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 02:57 am
BM
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 11:10 am
panzade wrote:
BM
BM?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 02:00 pm
bm = bookmark
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 02:17 pm
Quote:
bm = bookmark

But why?
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2004 10:41 pm
Lady J wrote:
Quote:
bm = bookmark

But why?

So you can see this thread in "Your Posts".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 12:08 am
Lady J, for various reasons, many a2k posters don't want to get updates. Some people only post from work. Some people have too much going on, internet wise, to deal with dozens and dozens of updates. They mark a thread with a comment so it gets into the Your Posts column, and they can access it again.

I think there is a short cut to that, but I forget what it is... as I don't mind updates. This all is probably discussed on Forum Help somewhere.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:33 am
Thank you, osso. I did not know what that meant, but it makes a lot of sense. Smile Not being so lucky to have the time to get online from work, sometimes I forget that others can. Lucky folks!

I notice you're from one of the most incredibly beautiful spots on earth, somewhere between Fresno and Eureka I am guessing. Aren't we so lucky to live where we do? Smile
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 01:56 am
Hmm, I am an insomniac and am currently taking some fun prescription stuff to try to get it under control. For now, I don't have much to add, although, like pan, I want to mark this thread for later!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 02:09 am
What does Dr. Feelgood have you trying out, smog? And holy smokes! It's 1am! Shouldn't you be sleeping?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:53 am
did another sleep study lastnight with the cpap machine - well I was able to sleep about 1/2 the night but that sure don't make today easy - TGIF

Oh and set-back on leg(s) to much adema(water)
now for the first time both are wrapped. Blessing in disquise, was that I also had an appt. to look at legs and between the time I awoke and the appt, these things that looked like bad rash sores developed and went nuts on the leg that had the infection. They said I was pretty lucky.
this is a pain in the arse!!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 01:48 pm
Husker,

I am so sorry. Sad You must be feeling quite miserable and all of my good wishes go out to you today. With your edema, it sounds as if you have more than just a sleep disorder. Sad Do the doctors know the cause of the edema? Sad

Wishing you all the best, Husker....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 02:54 pm
edema - weakened skin tissue and cells from massive infection on leg in June\July - maybe I'm vertical to much - yesterday the doc asked how tall I was - he's not seen lots of people with the lenght of leg from the knee to ankle I have - on well I said 6'4"1/4" to 1/2" depends on posture and gravity on any given day.
0 Replies