Larry Elder on Sen. Kerry

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:00 pm
Yes, do tell. This is exactly what I am talking about - direct contradictions as bad or worse than those Kerry is accused of.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:02 pm
Kerry admitted to writing many of the after action reports, do we know who wrote this one or just who signed it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:03 pm
I might also point out something about "lobbying" for a medal. Arthur MacArthur--once a very well-known name in America, but now only remembered, if at all, as the father of Douglas MacArthur--was at the least the first officer to the top of Missionary Ridge, and very likely the first Federal soldier to reach that spot. He planted the flag of his Wisconsin regiment, and was afterward promoted from Lt. Colonel to Colonel. He was famous then as "the boy Colonel," and subsequently was the first United States Army officer promoted Lieutenant General since Ulysses Grant. The battle took place in November, 1863. MacArthur was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions that day--in 1890. "Lobbying" for a medal is not evidence that the medal is undeserved, nor is it evidence of any character fault.

I posit to you that "his self-promotion, vanity, and hypocrisy were much discussed and noted" because of resentment for his anti-war activities after his separation from service as from any justified doubts about his service. I can make that contention with as much assurance as you have made yours. I've noted that you switched your term to "his peers." Yes, very much more comfortable for your statement, as there are a considerable number of enlisted personnel who served in 115 squadron in the relevant time period from whom we have not necessarily heard.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:04 pm
What does it matter?

If you sign your name to something, you sign your name to something. Simple as that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:06 pm
As I said before, Kerry has the records on his side but if you look deeper there is some truth contrary to what was in these reports.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:12 pm
Mist guys didn't pay that much attention to the paperwok during combat deployments. A few did and some of them were clever manipulators who figured out early on that three purple hearts were a ticket back to the world, and for those who were only interested in 'getting their ticket punched', a few weeks was all that is required. (Happily for the country such guys were a small minority).

Less imaginative and creative guys just plodded on with their buddies, perhaps ashamed to cop a better deal than them. Hard to argue that the imaginative, creative few who have the vision to look beyond the present in the pursuit of their ambitions should necessarily be denied their rewards. However there are limits even to that. I believe this comes close to the motivation of those who oppose Kerry, and to explain why some have waited until now to speak out.

I wouldn't want Kerry as a leader or as my wingman, much less as President (or even my CFO)..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:17 pm
I see, but you're willing to accept someone who cannot even document having completed service in a national guard slot open only to those with heavy influence? Wonderful hypocricy . . .
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:20 pm
The saddest thing going on here is that these Swift Boat Ads are actually working and chipping away at Kerry's numbers......I'm actually embarassed to be an American......I predict that Kerry's numbers have peaked and bush will win....due to the usual nonsense that my fellow citizens swallow hook line and sinker.....it's a sad day....
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 05:26 pm
Well the matter of Bush's attendance at Air Guard training in Alabama has been settled - the records were found and since Bush has released all his records (unlike Kerry), they are available to the public. It is at least moderately interesting that the recent discovery of these records got far less coverage in the mostly liberal press than did their earlier absence - and that you are unaware of them.

Perhaps it is merely the puerile vanity of aviation, but I strongly believe it takes more balls to qualify in F102s, even in peacetime, than to serve three months and a week in swift boats. Interestingly before Vietnam it was the fighters like the F102, 104 and the Navy F-8s that had the most cachet and were the most sought after. However in the war it turned out it was the F105s , Navy A-4s and A-6s that saw most of the action and casualties. (Later in the conflict they put bomb racks on the fighters and spread the joy around.)
0 Replies