Bumblebeeboogie (BBB)

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:02 pm
Thank you for the kind words, everyone. Mom is hanging in there. Mom used to sing with the dogs several time a day. She hasn't done that at all for about 3 weeks. Today there was a brief moment when she came out of the fog and sang a few notes with Dolly Dog. What a joy it was to see that. It didn't last long, but it was there for a moment.

My brother arrives tomorrow night from North Carolina and will be here for a week. Been about 8 years since he moved from here. Will be good to see him again.
Ragman

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 06:47 am
@Butrflynet,
Those little de-fogging sessions are amazing, aren't they? Sing those same songs to her. If she likes certain music, play it if that is practical. Maybe read poetry or short quotes....Gibran..or something lighter.

You have my deepest sympathy. Hugs!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 04:18 pm
@Butrflynet,
my aunt had a form of dementia nd would "come back" many times whenever some food smells accompanied our get-togethers. She loved fish sticks and my wofe would make some and wed take em over to her house (she had a live-in caregiver ). I think it was the food smells that would spur her memory. Lots of times wed be there and , as if she just woke up shed say,
Yaktam Vladzu
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 May, 2016 08:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm glad there are still a few moments of happy singing .
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 04:02 pm

Guess who just got herself out of bed for the first time since the 29th? We got her out to the living room and in her recliner. She even drank half a bottle of clear Ensure diluted with water. She is a little disoriented, but the more she talks the better the brain connections are starting to fire up. It is like she was in a very deep sleep and is starting to come out of it.

Huge improvement! Lots of progress. Hope it repeats more often.

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 04:10 pm
@Butrflynet,
were you cooking anything shed recognize?
Try burning a candle that she always liked. My unt also came out of her moments whenever there was a strong odor of cooking or candles. (I know I said this before but think about the externals when she "came to for a bit"). Was there anything you can associate with her reactions?
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
No, my brother and I were having a disagreement. She probably came out to send us to our rooms. Laughing

I think it is because we got some liquid antibiotic yesterday and I have been adding it to her water so she got the full first day double dose. It has made a difference. She has to be reminded who Stu is every few minutes but while she remembers, they get to love on each other.

Her humor is back. Stu told her to pull his finger, she did, and he farted. She laughed and tossed a napkin at him.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 05:06 pm
@Butrflynet,
love that update Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 13 May, 2016 05:29 pm
@Butrflynet,
that's the spirit. hope she has lots o those moments.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 07:02 am
Blessed are the compassionate for they shall receive compassion.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 08:16 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Her humor is back.

I hope there will continue to be some bright spots like that, even in such a difficult situation.

And I also hope that the hospice care will help to ease the remainder of her life for both you and BBB.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 09:49 am
Mom got herself out of bed again this morning while I was out watering the gardens. She made it to her recliner and is now eating a small bowl of oatmeal and a veggie smoothie with her antibiotic in it.

First morning in weeks that the bed linens haven't needed to be changed.

Maybe she has turned a corner. If this happens 3 days in a row, I will be convinced.

Am going to see if I can get her in the shower with me later and get her hair shampooed.
Miller

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 10:20 am
@Butrflynet,
Washing your mother's hair in the shower sounds like a good idea. Her weight, however, could be to much for you ( and your back) to handle. It is possible to wash your mother's hair while she's in bed.

Why not contact a local hair dresser and see if she might be willing to come to your home and shampoo and style your mother's hair?

Or, if your mother has a wheelchair, you might be able to position her head over the sink, and then wash her hair yourself, without having to get her into the shower.

Best wishes.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 11:09 am
@Miller,
There is a chair in the shower
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 02:23 pm
When mom woke up this morning she wanted to do two things, take a shower and go for a ride in the car.

She got her shower and hair shampooed then took a short nap to re-energize. When she was ready, we got her in the car and took her on her favorite drive through Corrales and around Rio Rancho before coming home. She enjoyed it but is very worn out. Too much stimulation I think. She may need the rest of the day to recover, starting with a nap.
roger

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:21 pm
@Butrflynet,
Glad to see she still has interests.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:50 pm
@Butrflynet,
My best friend's mother-in-law loves to ride in/on anything . She is 88 and is in secured living as a result of her dementia. In that last year she's been in my friend's brother's new Tesla, on a grandson's tractor, and in one son's bright red midlife crisis car and another son's new boat. Jenny loves to travel and does well as long as it's earlyish in the day - and yeah, often needs a good rest after her adventures.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 08:54 pm
@Butrflynet,
Sounds like a fun day, hoping you have more of those kinds!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 10:52 pm
@ehBeth,
I've made (and still make) different experiences.
Mother always asked, if I was driving the correct route - it seemed too far (where ever we wen)

Since three years, the missus and I are giving 24 hours care for a (now) 94 old lady here in the house. She always gets high blood pressure when being driven, and always says (even after just a one minute drive: thanks, we arrived safely).

It has to do with what part of personal history is present ...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 07:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
Send my regards to BBB.
Pancho.
0 Replies