Obama's Last Act Is To Force Suburbs To Be Less White and Less Wealthy

Miller

Sun 8 May, 2016 10:10 am
Obama’s last act is to force suburbs to be less white and less wealthy
By Paul Sperry
May 8, 2016

Hillary’s rumored running mate, Housing Secretary Julian Castro, is cooking up a scheme to reallocate funding for Section 8 housing to punish suburbs for being too white and too wealthy.

The scheme involves super-sizing vouchers to help urban poor afford higher rents in pricey areas, such as Westchester County, while assigning them government real-estate agents called “mobility counselors” to secure housing in the exurbs.

Castro plans to launch the Section 8 reboot this fall, even though a similar program tested a few years ago in Dallas has been blamed for shifting violent crime to affluent neighborhoods.

It’s all part of a grand scheme to forcibly desegregate inner cities and integrate the outer suburbs.

Anticipating NIMBY resistance, Castro last month threatened to sue suburban landlords for discrimination if they refuse even Section 8 tenants with criminal records. And last year, he implemented a powerful new regulation — “Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing” — that pressures all suburban counties taking federal grant money to change local zoning laws to build more low-income housing (landlords of such properties are required to accept Section 8 vouchers).

Castro is expected to finalize the new regulation, known as “Small-Area Fair Market Rents” (SAFMR), this October, in the last days of the Obama presidency.

It will set voucher rent limits by ZIP code rather than metro area, the current formula, which makes payments relatively small. For example, the fair market rent for a one-bedroom in New York City is about $1,250, which wouldn’t cover rentals in leafy areas of Westchester County, such as Mamaroneck, where Castro and his social engineers seek to aggressively resettle Section 8 tenants.

[The Section 8 reboot] is all part of a grand scheme to forcibly desegregate inner cities and integrate the outer suburbs.

In expensive ZIP codes, Castro’s plan — which requires no congressional approval — would more than double the standard subsidy, while also covering utilities. At the same time, he intends to reduce subsidies for those who choose to stay in housing in poor urban areas, such as Brooklyn. So Section 8 tenants won’t just be pulled to the suburbs, they’ll be pushed there.

“We want to use our housing-choice vouchers to ensure that we don’t have a concentration of poverty and the aggregation of racial minorities in one part of town, the poor part of town,” the HUD chief said recently, adding that he’s trying to undo the “result of discriminatory policies and practices in the past, and sometimes even now.”

A draft of the new HUD rule anticipates more than 350,000 Section 8 voucher holders will initially be resettled under the SAFMR program. Under Obama, the total number of voucher households has grown to more than 2.2 million.

The document argues that larger vouchers will allow poor urban families to “move into areas that potentially have better access to jobs, transportation, services and educational opportunities.” In other words, offering them more money to move to more expensive neighborhoods will improve their situation.

President Bill Clinton started a similar program in 1994 called “Moving to Opportunity Initiative,” which moved thousands of mostly African-American families from government projects to higher quality homes in safer and less racially segregated neighborhoods in several counties across the country.

The 15-year experiment bombed.

A 2011 study sponsored by HUD found that adults using more generous Section 8 vouchers did not get better jobs or get off welfare. In fact, more went on food stamps. And their children did not do better in their new schools.

Worse, crime simply followed them to their safer neighborhoods, ruining the quality of life for existing residents.

“Males…were arrested more often than those in the control group, primarily for property crimes,” the study found.

.Dubuque, Iowa, for example, received an influx of voucher holders from projects in Chicago — and it’s had a problem with crime ever since. A recent study linked Dubuque’s crime wave directly to Section 8 housing

Of course, even when reality mugs leftists, they never scrap their social theories. They just double down.

The problem, they rationalized, was that the relocation wasn’t aggressive enough. They concluded they could get the desired results if they placed urban poor in even more affluent areas.

HUD recently tested this new theory in Dallas with disastrous results.

Starting in 2012, the agency sweetened Section 8 voucher payments, and pointed inner-city recipients to the far-flung counties surrounding Dallas. As government-subsidized rentals spread in all areas of the Metroplex (163 ZIP codes vs. 129 ZIP codes), so did crime.
United States Department of Housing and Urban Development used Dallas as a test — and the city is now experiencing much more violence.Photo: Getty Images
Now Dallas has one of the highest murder rates in the nation, and recently had to call in state troopers to help police control it. For the first time, violent crime has shifted to the tony bedroom communities north of the city. Three suburbs that have seen the most Section 8 transfers — Frisco, Plano and McKinney — have suffered unprecedented spikes in rapes, assaults and break-ins, including home invasions.

Although HUD’s “demonstration project” may have improved the lives of some who moved, it’s ended up harming the lives of many of their new neighbors. And now Castro wants to roll it out nationwide. Soon he will give Section 8 recipients money to afford rent wherever they choose — and if they don’t want to move, he’ll make them an offer they can’t refuse.

Ironically, Hillary’s own hometown of Chappaqua is fighting Section 8 housing because of links to drugs and crime and other problems.

This is a big policy shift that will have broad implications, affecting everything from crime to property values; and it could even impact the presidential election, especially if Castro joins Hillary on the Democratic ticket.

NYPost 4/08/16

Read Next

Bernie Sanders pulls ahead of Hillary in West Virginia pol...

Miller

Sun 8 May, 2016 10:17 am
Does Naz Shah of the UK plan on using the so-called " mobility counselors" in her suggested transfer of Israeli Jews to the US?
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:38 am
You sure post a lot of doubtful right wing stuff, Miller.
engineer

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:55 am
@Miller,
Allowing people getting government assistance to live in the suburbs and preventing landlords from discriminating is "to force suburbs to be less white and less wealthy?" Wow. I assume you would prefer all the poor scum to be housed in the high crime, high poverty areas they deserve. Rolling Eyes
Foofie

Sun 8 May, 2016 12:28 pm
I was under the impression that the suburbs in Europe have the poor, and the inner city is for the upscale mainstream Europeans? Perhaps, that is the future. It is possible that that switch transfers the time intensive commute to urban offices to the poor, while the mainstream people work within shorter distances from work? That would save the cost of implementing new public transportation in some urban centers, and if homes are being sold in suburbia, the banks get to sell the house a second time. It sounds like a new movie, White Flight II?

Eventually we can have an updated version of Leave It To Beaver. Beaver would be doing rap this time.
Setanta

Sun 8 May, 2016 12:52 pm
Foofie shows up to puke up more Miller-like bigotry. Surprise, surprise . . .
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Sun 8 May, 2016 02:34 pm
@Foofie,

"I was under the impression that the suburbs in Europe have the poor, and the inner city is for the upscale mainstream Europeans? "

You should maybe get yourself a passport sometime, and see how us "poor" in the suburbs live.

I live in a typical London suburb, and here is a typical suburban abode, a semi-detached, three bedroomed house.

This one has not been decorated or modernised since about the 70's by the looks, and will be snapped up within a week or so.

I chose this one because with the currency conversion, it equates to as near as damn it one million dollars.

Maybe you are a billionaire, and have a very warped idea about poor.

Maybe you should go and take a look round Detroit before getting on your high horse. Eh?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41630592.html
oralloy

Sun 8 May, 2016 09:54 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
Maybe you should go and take a look round Detroit before getting on your high horse. Eh?

Not all of Detroit is bad. The suburbs never suffered any downturn at all, and some of them are extremely prosperous and wealthy. The core of Detroit has rebounded nicely and is a pretty nice area these days.

It's the middle area between the core of the city and the suburbs that you want to avoid at all costs.
0 Replies

Miller

Mon 9 May, 2016 12:01 am
@Foofie,
Quote:
It sounds like a new movie, White Flight II?

"White Flight II"...not a new movie. Just look at major US cities and you'll notice that flight from the cities has been going on for a long time. The White move to the suburbs, the Blacks move to the cities. Then the Blacks don't like the high crime rates in the cities, so they move to the suburbs. Then the Whites move back to the cities and start the process of what is called today, "gentrification".

Someone has to be making big bucks with all of the moving back and forth.

Miller

Mon 9 May, 2016 12:05 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

It's stuff like this, that will get Trump elected.
0 Replies

Miller

Mon 9 May, 2016 12:11 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I assume you would prefer all the poor scum to be housed in the high crime, high poverty areas they deserve. Rolling Eyes

Why would you think that? You're the one using the word "scum", not me.

Oh and by the way, I recall on another thread you commented that the poor should receive higher minimum wages, so that YOU wouldn't have to pay high ( or higher) taxes to support them.
Lordyaswas

Mon 9 May, 2016 12:18 am
I have noticed that Fraulein Foofmillen is prolific in her pot stirring recently.

I think I shall send her my biggest wooden spoon.
Foofie

Mon 9 May, 2016 06:59 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Quote:
It sounds like a new movie, White Flight II?

"White Flight II"...not a new movie. Just look at major US cities and you'll notice that flight from the cities has been going on for a long time. The White move to the suburbs, the Blacks move to the cities. Then the Blacks don't like the high crime rates in the cities, so they move to the suburbs. Then the Whites move back to the cities and start the process of what is called today, "gentrification".

Someone has to be making big bucks with all of the moving back and forth.

Possibly an addition to that poem by Emma Lazurus, at the Statue of Liberty, "send me your poor..." could add, "send me your midwestern college educated transplants willing to gentrify the inner city."
Foofie

Mon 9 May, 2016 07:02 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I have noticed that Fraulein Foofmillen is prolific in her pot stirring recently.

Under the new rules, your assignment of a less than positive moniker, in addition to subscribing to the canard that someone is a sockpuppet could get you a time out.
engineer

Mon 9 May, 2016 07:15 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Why would you think that? You're the one using the word "scum", not me.

But your subtext is completely clear.
Miller wrote:

Oh and by the way, I recall on another thread you commented that the poor should receive higher minimum wages, so that YOU wouldn't have to pay high ( or higher) taxes to support them.

You recall correctly! I made three distinct arguments for the minimum wage, one (the liberal argument) that is morally right to pay someone who is working hard decently, two (the conservative argument) that people who work hard full time should not have to receive government assistance (paid for with my taxes) and three (the economic argument) that increasing the minimum wage would significantly benefit the economy. I'm completely ok if that is the one that struck a chord with you.
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 10 May, 2016 04:09 pm
@Foofie,
I remember a few years ago, the NYTimes asked wealthy NYcity residents, if they mind living in the same building ( apartment, co-op ...etc) with poor folks or lower middle folks.

No, the wealthy residents replied. The thing they didn't like was having to send their children to the same schools as the poor/lower middle class kids.
That's probably one of many reasons why wealthy NY parents favor private, elite schools for their children.
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 10 May, 2016 04:18 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:

Under the new rules, your assignment of a less than positive moniker, in addition to subscribing to the canard that someone is a sockpuppet could get you a time out.

Pot stirring? Since you've called me Fraulein ( and not Frau) can we assume that you think I'm German ?
0 Replies

Miller

Tue 10 May, 2016 04:22 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Lordyaswas wrote:

Yes, indeed and I think the time-out could last about 7 days if LORDY is considered to be a VALUABLE A2K member. How do we measure your VALUE, Ms Lordy?
0 Replies

Miller

Sat 14 May, 2016 11:00 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:

A non-American would say that. But who cares?
Foofie

Sat 14 May, 2016 08:03 pm
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Tes yeux noirs wrote:

A non-American would say that. But who cares?

Can a British commoner really discern what is "right wing," considering the monarchy and respective peerage have the masses brain washed to know their place? When BBC actors get paid a pittance compared to Hollywood actors, how can one compare the two societies? God bless America!