Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 05:43 am
@Setanta,
Indeed. But my/your friend from the land of dragoons and emperors will discover this thread soon ....
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 06:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I hope that this will be able to return this site to being an open, yet respectful discussion of many varied subjects instead of just becoming a focused dust up all the time.
No matter what, I can see that we all will have the responsibility to stop being so damned testy and sensitive to minor insults. Maybe if I get "time out" when all this goes into effect , Ill be able to test what the site will accept as normal "passionate"discussion.

Im a science junkie but Ive , lately, taken to just ignoring entire threads that have become too sinple minded and where insults have supplanted evidence.
(This is really most of the threads where they seem to morph into some "doctrinal position" manifesto)
Now, its gonna be close because some of the folks actually discuss their religiou beliefs in terms of what they feel is valid evidence and these opinion discussions must be protected because they are a decent discussion based upon denial of science or history and , while some may want to silence deniers, THEY have as much a place here as any one else. (As long as they are respectful).

I guess RG is gonna have to develop some kind of an "Idiot " monitor. By this I mean that a discussion, getting off the subject track and slowly morphing into the epithet track, will have to be monitored by the tally of the use of insult terms (like "youre an idiot")

Its actually a foreign thing to just have everyone turn into a hall monitor and report anyone who displases them. I can see the moderators becoming extra busy deciding whether the" complainant " is justified or is just becoming overly sensitive.

Whats going to stop overly passionate debators from reporting each other?
jespah

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 06:29 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

...I can see the moderators becoming extra busy deciding whether the" complainant " is justified or is just becoming overly sensitive.

Whats going to stop overly passionate debators from reporting each other?

That already happens, and it has for over 13 years.
farmerman

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 06:33 am
@jespah,
wow, never considered that such things have an ongoing history.
If I may ask, how many reports of mal-debatory do the mods get in an average week? Do news events, like the presidential campaigns, jack up the report density?
jespah

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 06:39 am
@farmerman,
The numbers fluctuate. There are days when I wake up to over 200 reports and that's after being AFK for only about 8 hours. In all fairness, a lot of those are reports of spam and a lot of them are from more than one person reporting a post, or a spammer has multiple posts and then more than one person reports all of their posts (e. g. spammer has 5 posts and then 3 people report all five posts = 15 reports).

Pulling spam is easy; it is almost always a no-brainer. Working on member to member disputes is a much bigger deal (hence the rules state it is more of a process, which it always has been). And, yes, we get more reports during American election years and they tip the percentages over to more of the contentious stuff.

And yes, we get reports of "he started it!" All. The. Time.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 06:52 am
@jespah,
"And yes, we get reports of "he started it!" All. The. Time."

Can we not have an A2K naughty step?

I'm sure that a few computer wizards here could work on the graphics, where we can click a few times and see two or three sad looking members sitting on an imaginary staircase, a little sign round their necks letting us know what they've done and when they'll be allowed back.

The telltales (tittletattlers?) could have a "he started it" sign, and every ten seconds their little foot would stamp in a huff.

Only joking.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 8 May, 2016 08:23 am
When I can't get along with somebody I put them on ignore, rather than employ the thumbs. I rarely thumb down, but do thumb up if a post sufficiently impresses me. Also, I sometimes thumb up a post simply because somebody else has down thumbed it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 01:43 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

What about the accusation that someone is someone's sock puppet?

Quote:
"No personal attacks on other members. Including in response to attacks, please report instead".

Then what?

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 01:45 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Couldn't administration discern, at least, that the same screen name is not being used by two different monikers?

It should be...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 01:53 am
Quote:
"despite our content standards most of the people who run afoul of the rules are people who are valuable to the community".

In what way are those, who consistently belittle and insult others on A2K ( even on this thread) , of value to the "community"?

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 07:19 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Couldn't administration discern, at least, that the same screen name is not being used by two different monikers?

They already have that information:

[quote]member IP addresses seen from reports[/quote].
From RG's post above.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 07:22 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I mean add the word "nationality " in point 5:

"Slurs or epithets on the basis of race, religion, NATIONALITY, gender or sexual orientation etc are not allowed."

Except for the Americans, few posters (members) have indicated on their profile page their nationality ( Country). I always assumed everyone was an American ( living in the US). Then, I noticed all the slurs against the US by several posters.

Nationality should be part of the profile of every member.
djjd62

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 08:10 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

why?

jespah

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 08:12 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

...Couldn't administration discern, at least, that the same screen name is not being used by two different monikers?

It is not physically possible, with this database, for two accounts to have the same name.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 08:16 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Miller wrote:

why?

Because we're all out to get you!

WOOOO-HOOOO-HOOOOOOOOO......

Olivier5

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 08:39 am
@Miller,
Quote:
Except for the Americans, few posters (members) have indicated on their profile page their nationality ( Country). I always assumed everyone was an American ( living in the US). Then, I noticed all the slurs against the US by several posters.

And who will make sure that they write the truth??? That's a ridiculous idea. Better to treat nationality just like any other group characteristic (religion, race, gender etc.) which are not to be slurred here.

Just like it's not okay to say that all Catholics or all Protestants or all Jews or all Muslims are assholes, it should NOT be okay to say that all American or all Israelis or all Zimbabweans or all French are assholes. How difficult is that to understand?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 09:19 am
Only a gestapo will do, in the new scheme of things. Therefore, I think Robert should look into hiring an enforcer, like the characters in Pulp Fiction, to seek out rule breakers. He/she gets a nifty uniform, with free cleaners service, and loan of an uzi.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 06:52 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Just like it's not okay to say that all Catholics or all Protestants or all Jews or all Muslims are assholes, it should NOT be okay to say that all American or all Israelis or all Zimbabweans or all French are assholes. How difficult is that to understand?

Does this mean it is okay to say "some" of a particular group are more likely to be of a specific pejorative nature? Where would sociology be without quantifying the kernel of truth, that could be the basis for a canard in many generalizations? And, what about self-deprecating speech? Can a Jewish person, for example, (like me) make reference to being cheap? Obnoxious? What will happen to my ethnic identity, under such (sterile) conditions?
Olivier5

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 12:18 am
@Foofie,
Racism and science are two different things, Foof.

Jokes are okay in my book, ESPECIALLY the self-inflicted.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 11:52 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
What about the accusation that someone is someone's sock puppet? Couldn't administration discern, at least, that the same screen name is not being used by two different monikers?
I have readily admitted that I am Joe Sixpack's sock puppet. He toys with me in a vain attempt at humor.