Sentimentality is a Toxic Sludge of Misremembered Nonsense

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 08:00 am
Playground Where Kids Found Condoms and Crack Pipe Now Locked at Night

Critics of this type of clean up? Decry! Those were the good old days.

A tad too many people look fondly back on ancient times of their respective lives and lament how things today are the sign of the apocalypse ... because life isn't stagnant and culture moved on from the time they were kids (or worse ... culture and society isn't as perfect as what they deemed must have been the perfect utopia of gentleness and civility of the alleged times before they were born). It's kind of cute (in a monstrously naïve way) that they seem to overlook blatant racism, domestic violence, and a few million other (at the time considered menial and pedestrian) crimes of society and culture and legislation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,989 • Replies: 5
No top replies

neologist

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 10:31 am
@tsarstepan,
I say let the good times roll.
Whatever that means.
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 11:49 am
When I was 12 at an 'posh' English private school in London, (Alleyn's School in Dulwich) there was a 'red light' district not far away. and used "johnnies" used to be seen on the pavement (sidewalk). Lower School assembly was conducted by a the headmaster, a decent old fellow called "Butch" Pritchard. One morning a boy waited till Butch was looking the other way and brandished one of these, to the great amusement of all the boys. Butch could not understand the merriment. I hope the boy washed his hands.
neologist

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 05:02 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
At age 12, wash is a 4 letter word.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2016 05:15 pm
People were the same. The modern methods of dissemination of information changes the way we perceive it. That, and a faulty memory.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2017 01:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
I absolutely love bingeing on the current slate of Millenial Youtube movie critics that are ... bad movie/sentimentalists at heart. But at least, my favorites do have a critical eye towards the tv series and movies they watched as a kid.

They can properly honestly criticize these media products while still holding that warm fuzzy feeling they got when experiencing these vehicles when they were wee kids.

0 Replies