Not familiar with this Van Gogh

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2019 08:00 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I read how he purchased some boots and purposely made them worn and dirty looking before they could be deemed worthy of being painted.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 9 Mar, 2019 05:05 am
@edgarblythe,
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Mar, 2019 09:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for sharing that film on vanGogh. I've been a fan ever since I first saw his painting, and have visited some great art galleries in Chicago, St Petersburg and Moscow (Russia), London, Berlin, Tokyo, NYC, Boston, San Francisco, and Texas.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2019 04:00 am
@cicerone imposter,
Van Gogh and Britain
The turbulent painter of the modern inner life spent a short but critical time in Britain and remained a lifelong reader of English literature. How did Britain shape him – and how has he shaped modern British art?
Exhibition at Tate Britain, London, 27 March to 11 August.

Tate: THE EY EXHIBITION - VAN GOGH AND BRITAIN
Quote:
The EY Exhibition: Van Gogh and Britain presents the largest collection of Van Gogh’s paintings in the UK for nearly a decade. Some of his most famous works will be brought together from around the world – including Shoes, Starry Night on the Rhône, L'Arlésienne, and two works he made while a patient at the Saint-Paul Asylum, At Eternity’s Gate and Prisoners Exercising. They will be joined by the very rarely lent Sunflowers from London’s National Gallery.

Van Gogh lived in England as a young man for several crucial years. He walked the streets alone, dreaming of the future. He fell in love with British culture, especially the novels of Charles Dickens and George Eliot. And he was inspired by the art he saw here, including paintings by Constable and Millais which are featured in the exhibition. They affected his paintings throughout his career.

The exhibition also looks at the British artists who were inspired by Van Gogh, including Francis Bacon, David Bomberg, and the young Camden Town painters. It shows how his vision set British artists on the road to modern art.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 08:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
https://i.imgur.com/SB9W9Exh.jpg
The Wadsworth Atheneum in Hartford announced that “Vase With Poppies,” an oil painting that has been in the museum’s collection for over 60 years, has been verified by researchers as having been painted by Vincent van Gogh in 1886.
(Credit: Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, via Associated Press, via NYT)

New York Times: Disputed Painting Is a Real van Gogh, Researchers Say
Quote:
A painting at a Connecticut museum that has long been thought to be by Vincent van Gogh has been authenticated by Dutch researchers.

The Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art in Hartford announced Friday that “Vase With Poppies,” a still life oil painting, has been verified by researchers at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam as having been made by the Dutch artist in 1886, just after he moved to Paris. It has been in the Atheneum’s collection since 1957.

The painting’s authenticity was called into question in 1990 by the art historian Walter Feilchenfeldt, who raised concerns about many purported van Goghs around the world, the Hartford Courant reported. The artwork was taken out of museum displays and shelved.

Years later, with advances in technology and knowledge of van Gogh, the museum decided to revisit the painting.

It was examined initially at the Atheneum, where a digital X-ray revealed an underpainting that looked like a self-portrait, which added to confidence about its authenticity.

The museum in Amsterdam analyzed the artwork’s paint, materials and style to conclude it was indeed done by van Gogh.

“One can say that slowly but surely, real progress is being made in van Gogh studies,” said Louis van Tilborgh, a senior researcher at the Van Gogh Museum. “Some of these floaters even turned out to be firmly anchored in van Gogh’s oeuvre, and ‘Vase With Poppies,’ I am happy to say, is one of them.”

The artwork fits stylistically with other floral paintings the artist made shortly after arriving in Paris.

The Atheneum now officially has two van Goghs in its collection. The other is a self-portrait painted in 1887.

“Vase With Poppies” will go back on display in April.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 09:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks. I read that the other day, but failed to post about it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2019 06:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
I visited the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam many decades ago, and I believe the tickets used to cost $10. https://www.getyourguide.com/-l2695/?cmp=bing&campaign_id=326239228&adgroup_id=1250144919735095&target_id=kwd-78134188767112:loc-190&loc_physical_ms=43935&match_type=e&ad_id=%7Bcreative%7D&keyword=van%20gogh%20museum%20in%20amsterdam&ad_position=%7Badposition%7D&feed_item_id=&placement=%7Bplacement%7D&partner_id=CD951&msclkid=85d3ab6a3288184b3fe9f7f359c6523d&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=netherlands%3A32%7Ccore%7Cen%7Cus&utm_term=van%20gogh%20museum%20in%20amsterdam&utm_content=amsterdam%3A36%7Cf5%7Cvan%20gogh%20museum%3A2695%7Cgeneric%7C%7Broi1%7D
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Apr, 2019 11:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This truly opulent digital Van Gogh exhibition can be seen in the L'Atelier des Lumières in Paris...

Gallery homepage (in English)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Jun, 2019 06:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
An illuminating documentary examines the influence of Japanese art on the post-impressionist’s paintings:
Van Gogh and Japan review – from strange obsession to lasting impression
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 11:06 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Van Gogh Painted Many ‘Sunflowers.’ But How Different Are They?
Quote:
Should they be considered copies, independent artworks or something in between? An extensive international research project has just released its findings.

By Nina Siegal
June 20, 2019

AMSTERDAM — In the summer of 1888, Vincent van Gogh invited his friend and fellow painter Paul Gauguin to visit him in Arles, France, and to stay with him at the house where he hoped to establish an artists’ retreat. When Gauguin arrived in the fall, he found his room decorated with Van Gogh’s artworks, including a painting of sunflowers arranged in a ceramic vase against a yellow background.

The two-month visit ended disastrously. The two artists had a blowout fight, and van Gogh sliced off his ear, suffered a mental breakdown and ended up in the hospital. Gauguin fled back to Paris.

A couple of weeks later, however, he wrote to van Gogh requesting that painting, “Sunflowers,” praising it as “a perfect page of an essential ‘Vincent’ style.”

Understandably, van Gogh was reluctant to hand over what he felt might be his most accomplished work, and so he decided to paint another version of the yellow “Sunflowers” to exchange with a work by Gauguin. He completed that one in January 1889, but never sent it.

These two paintings, both called “Sunflowers,” are generally accepted as the finest of several depictions of the thick-stemmed, nodding blooms that van Gogh made in 1888 and 1889 during his time in Arles. The first is now in the collection of the National Gallery in London, and the second is in the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.

Van Gogh referred to this work as a “repetition” of the London painting. But art historians and curators have long been curious to know how different this “repetition” is from the first. Should it be considered a copy, an independent artwork or something in between?

An extensive research project conducted over the past three years by conservation experts at both the National Gallery and the Van Gogh Museum has concluded that the second painting was “not intended as an exact copy of the original example,” said Ella Hendriks, a professor of conservation and restoration at the University of Amsterdam, who was the lead researcher on the project.

“Though the basic palette is the same, there were different colors that were used, differences in paint texturing, and his brushwork is different,” she said.

Although both the London version and the Amsterdam version are too fragile to travel, it was possible to conduct a kind of virtual side-by-side comparison of the works using new mobile scanning technologies.

Rather than removing the paintings from the galleries for physical analysis, or taking invasive paint samples — once common practice — researchers brought mobile digital scanning devices into the museum that could map paint layers, brushwork and pigments without touching the artwork. They could then compare the data from each work.

The Van Gogh Museum shared this information in an interview with The New York Times before the opening of the museum’s summer exhibition, “Van Gogh and the Sunflowers,” which runs from Friday through Sept. 1. Along with the museum’s “Sunflowers,” some 20 other works from the museum’s permanent collection, mostly depicting flowers, are on display, along with two loans.

Nienke Bakker, the exhibition’s curator, said the research helped to understand something more about the nature of van Gogh’s relationship with Gauguin.

When Gauguin wrote to van Gogh praising the painting and asking for it, van Gogh was flattered but didn’t want “to give it away,” she said. “If Gauguin hadn’t asked, who knows if the other versions would have been made.”

All told, van Gogh painted 11 works in which sunflowers are the primary subject, and more in which they play a role, Ms. Bakker said. He made four of these in Paris, and seven in Arles. Of those seven, two have disappeared from public view: one was destroyed in a fire in Japan during an Allied bombing of Osaka during World War II; another is in a private collection that has not made the work available for loan to any museums, Ms. Bakker said.

There are five paintings in public museums that are generally thought of today as part of van Gogh’s “Sunflowers” series, all of essentially the same bouquet in the same ceramic pot, set against either a yellow or a pale blue background. Apart from the London and Amsterdam versions, the other three are in Munich, Tokyo and Philadelphia.

Most of them are now too fragile to travel. The National Gallery has only lent its painting three times: to the Van Gogh Museum in 2002 and 2013, and to the Van Gogh and Britain exhibition at Tate Britain across town, currently running through Aug. 11.

The Van Gogh Museum decided to stop lending its version last year, because conservators found that the chrome yellow pigments van Gogh used are unstable and could start to turn green and brown. To avoid changes already observed at a microscopic level from becoming visible, Ms. Bakker said, “you have to avoid vibrations and changes in climate, temperature and humidity.”

The last time the National Gallery “Sunflowers” and the Van Gogh Museum “Sunflowers” were brought together was in 2013 and 2014, for jointly organized exhibitions at both institutions.

In this Van Gogh Museum exhibition, videos of all five “Sunflowers” paintings are presented on adjacent screens, showing the works in their museum settings, and zooming in on details that are both similar and different, so viewers can see how van Gogh’s “repetitions” vary.

“It’s impossible to reunite all of these paintings again,” Ms. Bakker said. “It’s rather sad, but on the other hand, we have to keep them and preserve them for future generations.”

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 12:35 pm
Vincent van Gogh: A collection of 825 paintings

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 06:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
wow, I was about to give you **** for posting a collection. Turns out I didnt know most of these.
Excellent bunch of works
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 07:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
That's a good introductory look at his work. It draws you into appreciating more fully his talents and vision.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 08:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal, Thank you for sharing the van Gogh collection. I've been a fan ever since I saw his paintings, and had the privilege of visiting his museum in Amsterdam *many decades ago. The National Gallery in London also has a good collection of his art works, and I used to visit the gallery every time I visited London. That's when I used to travel to Europe often. The collection you shared is really a treat. It shows more of his variety of style than I expected. I have a poster of his in our bedroom from the van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 01:02 am
Van Gogh did some eyeball pleasers.
He must have been a pencil squeezer.
He didn't do the Mona Lisa,
That was an Italian geezer.

Ian Dury.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2019 09:55 pm
If this one has been shared here already, it's no biggie. I love it enough to post it tonight.
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/70918773_2370224723032028_8714844494509375488_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_eui2=AeGLD96CUtjYLMaqGsdHQjhqUON0JsoQKJMmHsJdq4CsUu14vJQvmyJIdYDB77-MNI3QouAspkNSOyW6q4bzBIu3OfoH5W9JUGBP2U19SW3-0Q&_nc_oc=AQl2k-LwfrjQI4KQN1KvW7_wUZ1aWtPyFXEqxubFq3v33Lf-_SU_e5AIsLq-6m7c961CLUwF0rNfcJzpcDEDWa8m&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&oh=cdb42c1a928b6aee05a84f4fe2281ff2&oe=5E39927B
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 10:31 am
@farmerman,
I looked at it cynically when I first saw the title, but I was impressed when I watched it.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 10:33 am
@edgarblythe,
It worked on my eye, too. I was not prepared for how good it was when I first looked at the title.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 10:35 am
@cicerone imposter,
I still like to think I am an impressionist. But I'll never ever be able to hold a candle to Van Gogh.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 21 Sep, 2019 10:36 am
@edgarblythe,
So not a typical Van Gogh. Its the first time I've ever seen it.
0 Replies