Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 06:38 pm
@ossobucotemp,
No problem.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 06:43 pm
@ehBeth,
this was only 2 yars after he did "The Potato Eaters I"

the Boise de Bologne apparently was another of his multiple studies of the same scene at roughly the same times of day. The color palletes are only lightly different and his use of a pallete knife is one of the things at which Im amazed

He retained hi student methods that we all learnt en studio.
1Left to right
2dark to light
All his whites and lights are mostly applied over the darks and some of the dark branches are mere lines at the end.

I love to takw his paintings apart n see how he proceeded.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 06:45 pm
@farmerman,
Thanks, I'd no clue.
I admit to ignorance.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 06:49 pm
@ossobucotemp,
remember in oil painting how we learnt that the impressionists and the connecticut impressionists would star with their darkest values (overtop the color unerpainting). Then the colors would get lighter and lighter until the lightest colors (mixed with oil till it was like mayonnaise0 were painted in nd a wee bit of a light color ith the lightest color compliment would be painted innnext to it. This would cause the lightest color to really pop.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 06:51 pm
@farmerman,
Nobody told me all that. I'm a plain person.

I'm glad to learn, though.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 07:17 pm
@farmerman,
No, I don't.

I took art classes, 30 of them, the quarter mode. That may make me a stiff.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 08:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Van Gogh is one of my favorite painters. What he produces with his paint brush is just amazing!
I have been fortunate to have visited the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam, and have seen his paintings at many museums. Many years ago, there was a Van Gogh exhibit at the Los Angeles art museum, so my wife and I flew down to see it. Some years before that, when we lived in Naperville (IL), there was a special exhibit at the Art Institute that we were able to see.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 09:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I've not been a van Goch fan.
Sorry, I skipped then at the Met. I don't usually like his work, so it goes, but for many of us time is short.
I like what has been posted here.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 09:07 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Painting/drawing as art is subjective to the observer/listener. We are all different, after all.
The Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam shows that Van Gogh is more than an artist. He was also an scientist, and understood turbulence.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2016 09:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thanks, I might like seeing that.

I am well aware we vary.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 03:19 pm
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p403x403/13892180_1057957984258715_8488198670040458275_n.jpg?oh=6dcc028482212e63a0962ab81c15e268&oe=581111E6
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 03:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Nice, I relate to that, not that I'm a van Gogh copier but given I'm a landscape painter, there are sometimes similarities.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 03:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
His technique is so good, his use of the brush is contrary to what he paints. Impressionism fits his technique very well.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He has always been my favorite artist. Some of these pictures are like discovering him all over again.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ive always been told by some of the bst art teachers that if you can look at a pinting nd enjoy it s the first time you saw it, youve got the heart of an appreciator of art.
Many people just "collect" signatures
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:06 pm
As a kid, I wanted to be an artist. It just didn't work that way.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
This painting by Claude Monet is an excellent example of impressionism. His strokes are not wasted, and the minimum of this strokes provides what they represent. Look at how he represents the waves in the water by the shore.
http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/14598
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Monet is a favorite too.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
van Gogh was self-taught. He copied styles until he developed his own and the rest is history. A number of years ago, Mrs and I did a Van Gogh and Vermeer trip around NetherlNDS. While the Reichsmuseum has a nice Van Gogh collection, another small but endowed place was the Kroller-Mueller museum in a town about 80 km East of Utrecht. I think it was Otterbein or Otterdo or something like that. It had a neat collection of about 90 van Gogh multiples (2 and 3 paintings of the same field in different light sorta like Monet and Ruen Cathedrl or the haystacks)

He would squeeze primary colors right out of his tube as he got further on and then use a pallette knife to drag the color round (like your trees and woods scene where a raw umber and black were squeezed onto the canvas or board)

He did over 900 paintings in his life and over 1200 drawings .BUT he only sold ONE work and tht was through his brother.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2016 04:31 pm
@farmerman,
If my memory serves, the last Van Gogh painting sold for over $50 million.
0 Replies