Is it okay if two Finnish immigrants, who don't know English, speak French in the US?

Olivier5

Sun 8 May, 2016 02:02 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
And you understand French?
saab

Sun 8 May, 2016 02:11 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Scandinavia is Denmark, Norway and Sweden
The Nordic countries are Denmark, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Sweden also
Åland, Faerö Islands and Greenland
Tes yeux noirs

Sun 8 May, 2016 02:33 pm
@saab,
Quote:
Scandinavia is Denmark, Norway and Sweden
The Nordic countries are Denmark, Finland, Norway, Iceland, Sweden also
Åland, Faerö Islands and Greenland

Q.E.D.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 9 May, 2016 12:06 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Definitely Skåne is in Scandinavia. And Nordland is nordic. Wink
saab

Mon 9 May, 2016 12:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I am Scandinavian:
Swedish mother, Danish father and Norwegian parents in law.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4b/Swedish_civil_ensign_%281844%E2%80%931905%29.svg/120px-Swedish_civil_ensign_%281844%E2%80%931905%29.svg.png
I even have one of the old Union flags from when Norway was under Sweden.

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Mon 9 May, 2016 12:19 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

And you understand French?

Igen.
0 Replies

momoends

Mon 16 May, 2016 02:36 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
oh wow i wish somebody out there would talk like that about stereotypes of spaniards
0 Replies

momoends

Mon 16 May, 2016 02:38 pm
@saab,
well, it would be great if you made a visit to spain and ask those questions to all the germans and english citizens living in spain and refusing to learn castellans but demanding everybody to speak english
saab

Tue 17 May, 2016 01:12 am
@momoends,
Why go so far? The Germans do not really learn Züritüütsch when living in Zürich. They think the Swiss should speak German.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 17 May, 2016 01:29 am
@saab,
saab wrote:
Why go so far? The Germans do not really learn Züritüütsch when living in Zürich. They think the Swiss should speak German.
Switzerland has four national languages: French, German, Italian and Romansh.
German is spoken by about 64% of the population, French by about 23%, and Italian by about 8%. Romansh is spoken by less than 1% of the total population.
The most notable linguistic fact about German-speaking Switzerland is the use of dialect for spoken communication and standard German for written communication.

I don't speak Bavarian or Swabian either when in Bavaria or Swabia. But at least, the German Swiss TV has German subtitles for speeches in dialect.
saab

Tue 17 May, 2016 02:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I know what is spoken in Switzerland and I know that in the German speaking part the local dialect is spoken and German feels like a foreign language to many. When you live there it should be that you at least try to learn to speak the dialects. I am not talking about turists coming, but people living there permanently. I have lived in Swityerland and I know how important it would have been to learn the dialect, but it was close to impossible to find someplace to be taught . now you can.
saab

Tue 17 May, 2016 04:42 am
@saab,
PS
When you live in Switzerland you get the impression that their dialect is for the German Swiss more a language than a dialect.
One can see obituaries in the dialect, I took part in evening courses in Zürich and it was all in dialect.
The Bibel has been translated into Berner and Basel German dialect.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 17 May, 2016 05:59 am
@saab,
Frisian is a language, but did you know that the Dansk Skoleforening for Sydslesvig runs a bi-lingual primary (besides 46 other schools and colleges), Rusum Skole/Risem Schölj? Subjects are taught in Danish and Frisian (both are official minority languages).
saab

Tue 17 May, 2016 06:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
In Sweden they teach same language in classes 1 - 6 up in Lapland.
I think it is wonderful. I like to be able to hear where people are from.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 17 May, 2016 06:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Switzerland and Swiss languages ...

The grandmother of my Swiss friend - they lived (live) close to Zürich - only spoke French, Because itÄs an official Swiss language, she said. But it was hardly to understand ... because she origianally came from Belgium, the Flemish part. (The only concession was that she [and her husband] changed the family name from Molenaar to Müller.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 17 May, 2016 06:11 am
@saab,
The Danish community has two gymnasiums, the Sorbian community a couple more (some are German-Sorbian, though), Frisian is taught only in bi-lingual schools up to university level.
0 Replies

momoends

Sat 28 May, 2016 10:29 pm
@saab,
well, they may be related to those living in Spain...
i don´t care if they don´t learn the language but asking to be part of the local goverment and have all the official documents translated in german, demanding local comerce to learn dutch so they can be understood and so on... it´s for me an blatant offence and disrespect to my culture and country
they should learn the language if the living in zurich too
0 Replies