Is it okay if two Finnish immigrants, who don't know English, speak French in the US?

saab

Sun 8 May, 2016 10:40 am
It is getting more and more confusing.
1. Can I please get an explanation of why the education in Finland is called stereotypical???
2. Why do Finns not like to learn a foreign language to avoid being steriotypes?
In Finnish schools you have to learn two languages besides your mother tongue.
That means either Finnish or Swedish. Samish or another one. Then you learn English. Later you can add a second and third foreign language.
How come someone can avoid to learn another language?
3. Why would Finns of Japanese descendent come as illigal immigrants to USA?
5.Why do these Finland-Japaneese speak French?
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 10:55 am
@saab,
These are all stereotypes. I hope you think they like heavy metal, gaming, and Star Wars, but THEY DON'T AND THEY NEVER WILL. They have lower than average intelligence, and they are still learning how to use technology.
They are not illegal. Their parents know very little English, but taught the girls to avoid stereotypes head-on because they have dark hair and brown eyes. They are considered "different".

Also, they learned French because they are francophiles. Also, they are americaphiles (is that even a word?), but they decided to learn French to avoid stereotypes. (See my question: Are all finnish stereotypes true?)

They are of Japanese descent. That doesn't necessarily mean they should learn Japanese.

It's a matter of time before Finland becomes another United Kingdom.
saab

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:04 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
These two girls are mentally retarded.
The parents know very little English - so how can they work in USA???
What on earth is stereotype head on?
The parents want to work and live in USA speak little English themselves and
teach their children French. It sounds absurd.
Do they speak Finnish or is French the daily spoken language.?

What do you mean by "It's a matter of time before Finland becomes another United Kingdom. "
Lordyaswas

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:07 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
Personally, I think you are a stereophobe.

Or just someone who likes to find an issue to get mad about.

I would suggest that you take several deep breaths, relax, clear your mind and then get a life.
saab

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:16 am
@Lordyaswas,
Do you think it means that Finland wants to be united with Sweden again and get a King?
United Kingdom of Swefi?
Or does it mean another Brexit?
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:27 am
@saab,
British in the fact that they all know English and have British accents.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:28 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
The Finnish language is indeed dying.
Tes yeux noirs

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:32 am
I say Phoebemartens is trolling.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:33 am
@saab,
Are you from finland, or are you just enforcing stereotypes.
Finland will become another United kingdom by the end of 2016
0 Replies

xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:36 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Im not! im not a ROBOT! Im a human being WORRIED SICK about Finland, stereotypes, and my two neighbors FROM FINLAND WHO DON'T KNOW ENGLISH!!!!!!!!

I don't want to be treated like this. I had a lot of bullying on Quora, and now Able2know aka Quora 2.0. How can people UNDERSTAND that NOT EVERYONE IN FINLAND KNOW ENGLISH AT A PROFESSIONAL LEVEL, OR NOT KNOW ENGLISH AT ALL!!!!!!!!!

I hope to find an ACCEPTING question site, BUT NO AVAIL.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:38 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
Btw, STEREOTYPES ARE NOT TRUE. This includes FINLAND OF ALL THINGS!!!!!!
0 Replies

saab

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:38 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
The two main official languages of Finland are Finnish and Swedish. There are also several official minority languages: three variants of Sami, Romani, Finnish Sign Language and Karelian.
Finnish is spoken by 91% . So I would not call that a dying language.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:44 am
@saab,
English is spoken by 99.9/ of the population and is favored over Finnish.
Tes yeux noirs

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:47 am
Folks, stop feeding the troll.
saab

Sun 8 May, 2016 11:53 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
Certainly not in Finland.
The Finns speak Finnish with one another.
English is favored when speaking with people who do not know Finnish.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 8 May, 2016 12:21 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
Are you sure you did not misunderstand something? Like when you asked what language they speak, maybe they said "Finnish" or "Fin" and you understood "French"?
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 01:46 pm
@Olivier5,
Nope. They said in French that they understand both.Finnish and French.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Sun 8 May, 2016 01:47 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
...which is helping the cyberbullies a la Quora arise.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 8 May, 2016 01:55 pm
Hate to tell youj this, but mostamericans have basrely even ever hears of Finnish and Finland, let alone have stereotypes about the language or the country. It does not rate high on our radar. This is not a denigration of your country, just a statement of fact that there is not a whole lot of knowledge of anything about it other than its mere existence.
Tes yeux noirs

Sun 8 May, 2016 02:01 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Hate to tell you this, but most Americans have barely even ever heard of Finnish and Finland, let alone have stereotypes about the language or the country. It does not rate high on our radar.

This is absolutely correct, and I am a bit surprised nobody has mentioned this already. The situation is pretty similar in Britain, and we're a lot closer. Even though we are watching a lot of Scandi Noir TV series, a lot of Brits aren't too sure about what exactly constitutes Scandinavia.