Geographers and Geologists, does this seem reasonable?

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:15 pm
I was sitting in my freshman geology class, and we were doing our usual geology stuff. Then I got sucked back into the black hole that is my hatred of categorization of continents. I figured I would work on my own BS definition for a continent, and then identify ones. I know the process I used to find them, but I am unable to think what the explicit definition is. It was something along the lines of plates that snatched a piece of Pangea. It wasn't a very coherent definition, but its all for fun anyway. The eight continents I figured would fit that are Eurasia, Australia, Antarctica, Aquilia(North America and East Asia), Meridia(South America), Carribean(Central America + Carribean), Africa, Arabia, and India. Obviously had to come up with names for a few of those, I did not want to say North America + East Asia = North America after all.

So, to go through it one more time -
Eurasia,
Australia,
Aquilia, (North America and North-East Asia)
Meridia, (South America)
Carribean, (Carribean and Central America)
Africa,
Arabia,
India.

Does this sound reasonable? Also, any ideas for a better name than Carribean?

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:56 pm
@dittofunny,
Quote:
any ideas for a better name than Carribean?

'Caribbean' has the advantage of being correctly spelled.
farmerman

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 03:44 pm
@dittofunny,
not sure where your going ans in what time frame.(All the land masses had different names through the various "orogenic" events.
Maybe Antilles instead of Caribbean since you're talking about land masses(aren't you?)
dittofunny

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 04:25 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
And I pride myself on my spelling :/

0 Replies

dittofunny

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 04:27 pm
@farmerman,
I am going for modern day. And yes, land masses. I guess I am defining continent by a land mass on a continental plate.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2016 04:23 am
North America is a land mass which rests on more than one continental plate. I am also bemused that you think the "non-continental" land masses of northeast Asia should be grouped with North America. Why would you do that? All in all, if find your proposal somewhat bizarre, and definitely irrelevant. I can think of more than seven billion reasons that it won't get any traction.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2016 04:25 am
I like Caribbean because it celebrates a pack of anthropophagous savages.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2016 05:10 am
Below is a map of plate activity in the Pacific basin:

https://www.uwgb.edu/dutchs/GeolColBk/SmCol/PacificSFS-PBSmCol.gif

Source at the University of Wisconsin--Green Bay.

There is no good reason to include the islands of the northwest Pacific with North America.
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2016 09:00 am
@Setanta,
I have no idea where hes going with this but heres a map of the major tectonic plates of the plnet(there are some "mini plates" ) but they need to bust up some more.

North American Plate does include some of the NE Asia between Chuckchi and Kamchatka (AT least the modern plate configuration does)

The kid needs to think history of these present plates since there are some mjor mountains that are ancient plate boundaries that have been welded with some continental craton.
https://www.google.com/search?q=tectonic+plates+of+the+earth+map&rlz=1C1VFKB_enUS630US633&espv=2&biw=1560&bih=755&tbm=isch&imgil=WONawbHvSTX7-M%253A%253BHLXY1MmhS6lHaM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.worldatlas.com%25252Faatlas%25252Finfopage%25252Ftectonic.htm&source=iu&pf=m&fir=WONawbHvSTX7-M%253A%252CHLXY1MmhS6lHaM%252C_&usg=__nzIyQl6VzvBYmlJrBsigwPqkCkc%3D&ved=0ahUKEwi5ob75zrbMAhUGkIMKHem8CuIQyjcIJQ&ei=HMckV7mjEoagjgTp-aqQDg#imgrc=WONawbHvSTX7-M%3A
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sun 1 May, 2016 05:29 am
@dittofunny,
No.
0 Replies