Skin care rituals for face and body. (What's Your Secret?)

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:46 pm
I thought this would be a good place to learn from others' successes with skin care, especially since we have A2Kers in all climates (and probably with a multitude of good secrets.)

I have read books and mags, trying to come up with a good ritual to keep skin moist and plump. But, alas, I still just use average products in a haphazard manner.

Neutragena, Oil of Olay, Lubriderm mostly...

Has anyone got some exotic fruit or veggie conconction they throw in the blender? Do you do your own mud?

What has worked for you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,510 • Replies: 22
Topic Closed
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:50 pm
Since I was about twelve, I have been using rubbing alcohol on my face. I put it on a piece of cotton. All these years, my mother moaned that I was drying out my face, that my skin would turn to leather. Hasn't happened yet!

My one concession to creeping old age is that I use a liquid foundation.
0 Replies

sozobe

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:55 pm
I was just thinking about this. I've always had good skin, and didn't do nuthin' to it. Soap, water, that's it. (Also didn't wear much makeup -- lipstick about covered it.)

Well, things are finally catching up with me. At 32, my skin's OK, but not like when I was 18, to be sure. I just got some lotion that I REALLY REALLY like -- Mango Body Butter by The Body Shop. Great stuff. Moisturizes but not greasy. Has made a real difference. (No, I don't get commission...)
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 04:58 pm
I'm just on the other end of a bad few years of adult acne. I spent a lot of time learning about how to care for my skin. Dermatologists recommend face washing (for me and those like me) 1 to 3 times per day (2 times worked best for me). Bad part is that my skin is dry as well. So, they recommended some lotions. I didn't like them. I really like Kiss My Face all natural A & D lotion. I had prescriptions for a antibiotic lotion that I rarely use anymore (it really did work well) and for retinA. The retinA was great if you used it regularly, but not every day. It really made my skin look good. But, I can't really afford it anymore.

Phoenix, I'll nail my break-out zones with rubbing alcohol mixed with a witchhazel infusion every once in a while.

Soz, I don't wear make-up much either. Only on the occasional night out.
0 Replies

dream2020

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 05:17 pm
I'm 50 Embarrassed and have dry skin, so I moisturize twice a day. I use Eucerin mostly, and every other night I use alpha lipoic acid with DMAE cream my sister got me for my 50th birthday, which really does erase fine lines and evens out my complexion. I don't use it every night because it's so dang expensive that I don't know if I'll get more when I run out. I never used makeup until I was about 45, now I use a moisturizing foundation, and lipstick.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 06:30 pm
Thanks, ladies. Good ideas.

sozobe, gonna find that butter stuff.
Dream 2020- what is DMAE?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 06:37 pm
45 and virtually makeup free. dr. pepper lipgloss by bonne bell has been my mainstay for close to 30 years now (i did briefly stray to their pineapple-coconut flavour). I sometimes use a coloured vitamin E lip balm underneath (Pecan Fudge is the colour i adore). Avon moisture surge moisturizer gets slapped on a couple of times a day in winter - the new office i'm in seems to be particularly drying. Make-up, when i remember is eye-liner and occasionally a bit of cheek gel when i'm looking unwell.

I wash my face with water and glycerin soap 1x a day, splash it with water during the day, and then rinse it at the end of the day. Very occasionally (a few times a year?), if i'm feeling in the mood for some fun, i'll throw on a peelable mask (mostly cuz it feels good to peel it off).

Sunscreen if i remember. Hats always.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 07:05 pm
Well, Lash, I do a lot more than these ladies but I'm older and love the outdoors, especially riding horses which is killing.

You might not like this but go to the healthfood store and get some peanut oil, olive oil (the best of each) and processed lanolin. Mix that (6 oz. peanut, 2 oz. olive oil and 2 tbls. lanolin) works best over heat. Can add 2 oz. rose water. Shake it like crazy and apply it to whole body after soaking in bath. Prevents arthritis (peanut oil), prevents sun poisoning too. No, you won't smell anymore like a salad than if you used oil of the turtle and smell like a turtle.

I keep this stuff around and mix it with my Oil of Olay lotion for face. If I don't add this to my lotions and creams I simply look older. Can also add the vitamin oils, E, A. If you want a really fixer-upper smear pure lanolin on, allow to sit little while.

I am vain but damit I like the sun. These are Edgar Cayce recipes to keep your skin young, plump, and to heal sunburns. Can't believe how it keeps my legs from looking ooooold. I don't use makeup except lipstick and occasionally a tinted creme.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 07:07 pm
I used to buy something called Lanolive when i was a teenager - Lanolin and Olive Oil. Pretty basic stuff. Can't find it any more.
0 Replies

littlek

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 07:13 pm
Good point about soap Beth - I use natural (chemical-additive free) glycerin soaps. Verrrrry gentle.
0 Replies

eoe

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:35 pm
I've been doing the Clinique 3-step program (soap, toner, moisturizer) for close to twenty years now. Have always received compliments on my complexion. Regular body soap (Pure & Natural or Ivory) and generic body lotion with cocoa butter. Starting to look at under-eye creams.
0 Replies

Rae

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:41 pm
So weird.....I almost posted this same exact question yesterday.

Because I get grief so much about not wearing make-up and not using any type of moisturizer (or skin care products, period).

I did (on a whim) decide to try a product. Nivea (Visage) Anti-wrinkle and Firming Creme. For a local drug-store product, it is a bit on the pricey side, but I love it and use it twice a day ~ have been for about six months. Keeps my skin soft, is not greasy and does pretty good work on the wrinkles.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 09:54 pm
Tex-Star! Great. Just the kind of stuff I was hoping to uncover. Thanks.

eoe--Got teenaged daughter hooked on the Clinique ritual. She never had BAD acne, but any bumps to a girl that age is BAD. She is all clear now, and doesn't miss a night.

rae-- hey, when your naturally beautiful, who needs all that stuff! Funny, though, about the mind merge....
0 Replies

Rae

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 10:01 pm
Naturally beautiful? Hardly! (But, I love ya anyway for sayin it!)

I wore make-up quite a bit as a teen-ager, but bought inexpensive stuff, which caused skin problems and made me decide that I didn't want to be bothered.

Now that I'm a bit wiser, I dished out the money for the better quality make-up ~ and that involves mascara, eye-liner, blush and lipstick. All are from Clinique. On a good day, I remember the mascara and lipstick. Clinique offers great stuff.....I just can't afford it.

(I swear though.....I was going to post this same question.....Where exactly are you?!)
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 10:07 pm
rae--

absorbing your mind rays through the computer screen....

You must have sensitive skin (make up reaction). My mom, too.

Those high end make ups are expensive. Mom gets daughter and I gift certificates for ours, for Christmas every year. I couldn't PAY for it.
Sheesh!

PS- What part of your face kiity doesn't hide looks vibrant and healthy.
0 Replies

Rae

Mon 20 Jan, 2003 10:20 pm
Thanks, LG.

My sister buys me the Clinique lipstick colour that I like for my birthday about every three years ~ that's how long it takes me to use up one tube! And I started buying the mascara and blush because even though Almay products are great, they still cause irritation on my skin.

And just like most 'expensive' products, you get your money's worth out of them. I use very little make-up, so the expense is comparative because the products last longer.

Could ya move over a smidge? I can't see what I'm typing.....

Thanks!
0 Replies

dream2020

Tue 21 Jan, 2003 11:41 am
I use the Clinique stuff, too, even though several people have told me the only difference is it's more expensive. I don't like the cheaper stuff because it smells funny, (like Almay) and doesn't last all day.
Lash asked before what DMAE is. It's a powerful antioxidant that theoretically tones and firms the skin. It does work, but doesn't make a huge difference. just enough to give a glow to the skin, which helps me a lot, since my life keeps me semi-stressed and tired a lot.
0 Replies

Rae

Wed 22 Jan, 2003 08:05 pm
I think there is some truth to the 'cheaper isn't always better' thought. But, I've yet to find too many products, especially for skin care, to meet that criteria.

I don't like the smell of Almay products either. Strange.
0 Replies

urs53

Thu 23 Jan, 2003 02:20 pm
I remove my make-up and clean my face every night. No matter how late it is. I love to put lotions on my face and body. I have very dry skin and tried a couple of lotions. Clinique worked very well for me. Whenever I get really stingy and try something cheap, I throw it away pretty soon. Doesn't go with my skin. Since last July I've been using Mary Kay products and they work very well for me. You only need a very small amount and it lasts forever. It's not cheap when you buy the whole set. But it's worth it - at least for me.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Thu 20 Feb, 2003 07:22 pm
I have really really dry skin, inherited. I now see in my face what I saw in my mother's face as she aged. Tried everything, preferably natural products. Still clean with a natural aloe enriched lotion soap. Then, after years and years of dry skin problems I lucked into two products which really work. On the bod, Eucerin. On the face, (I can hardly believe this but it's true) Avon "Anew." Unbelievable change.
0 Replies