As the Election Nears, Sometimes I Feel Like Diogenes

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:24 am
Jim- You said it much better than me. Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:26 am
Quote:
So it is obvious to me where your heart is, if you enjoy the charade, just keep it up, just know that this girl ain't buying it.

You are entitled to your opinion. For me, that is the end of our discussion!
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:30 am
Quote:
Harper- I started this thread, which asked about what people thought about the RNC documentary. Period. You have turned it around, to espouse your particular political agenda. I do not plan to respond to your questions.

Gee whiz, little Ms Harper is actually using the Rigthtwing's favorite tactic of framing the debate. Poor Phoenix only wanted to know what other poeple thought of the video so she could vote based on what other people thought instead of actually trying to find out the facts herself! [Now that I have exposed the video as a lie and Bush as a liar where do we go from her? Anyone want to try to defend this piece of trash video?
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:32 am
Jim wrote:
Unfortunately, this is not Eisenhower versus Stevenson, or even Carter versus Ford. What we have in this election is cancer versus heart disease.

As I see it, the voter's job in November is damage control. Which man (together with his political beliefs, and gaggle of advisors) will do the country the less harm?

We have all seen what Bush has done in his first term. I do not imagine a second Bush term would be significantly different. But I fear and tremble at the thought of a Kerry administration.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:32 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Jim- You said it much better than me. Thanks! Very Happy
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:33 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
So it is obvious to me where your heart is, if you enjoy the charade, just keep it up, just know that this girl ain't buying it.

You are entitled to your opinion. For me, that is the end of our discussion!

No, it only looks like the end of your charade!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:34 am
dyslexia wrote:
As James Madison wrote in 1798, "The Constitution supposes what the history of all governments demonstrates, that the executive is the branch of power most interested in war, and most prone to it. It has, accordingly, with studied care, vested the question of war in the legislature." This republican legislature, in a knee-jerk reaction, transended the warnings of history by vesting responsibility for war within the one seat of power, the administration of the president. I do believe that (not unlike the Tonkin Gulf incident) the future and lives of americans everywhere are more fraught with the loss of the very basis of democracy, a carefully devised separation of powers.

Wow! I'm late to this thread but I couldn't agree more with this and had to pipe in. This is one of my beefs with Kerry, by the way, that he voted to hand this authority over to this president who he should have known was determined to go to war (as anyone who watched the news could tell), and that he stands by his decision to do so. I could not disagree more with him that it's 'the right authority for a president to have'.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:37 am
Harper- I am going to say one last thing to you. I don't think that you have any idea as to how to accomplish what you are attempting to accomplish..................convince people that Kerry is the right person for the job. All you are doing is engendering hostility by attacking. My dear, you are shooting yourself in the foot!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:42 am
Jim wrote:
We have all seen what Bush has done in his first term. I do not imagine a second Bush term would be significantly different. But I fear and tremble at the thought of a Kerry administration.

Just curious, what do you think that Kerry could do that would be worse than what Bush has done?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:46 am
FD - if he follows the Platform issued by the Democratic Convention that would be bad enough.

Specifically - higher taxes, more spending (throwing money at problems just for the sake of buying votes), more far-left-of-center Federal Judges and Supreme Court Justices, more counter productive regulations slapped together by lawyers who have never worked on a shop floor, etc ad nauseum.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:47 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Harper- I am going to say one last thing to you. I don't think that you have any idea as to how to accomplish what you are attempting to accomplish..................convince people that Kerry is the right person for the job. All you are doing is engendering hostility by attacking. My dear, you are shooting yourself in the foot!

Oh dear, I thought the conversation was over. Are you trying to say that my exposing your charade, which you most incorrectly characterize as attacking, is going to sway your vote to Bush? Is that what you are expecting me to believe? As if no astute reader would not have figured that that was where it was all along?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:49 am
Boon.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:49 am
Boon?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:56 am
Poon!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:01 am
Jim wrote:
FD - if he follows the Platform issued by the Democratic Convention that would be bad enough.

Specifically - higher taxes, more spending (throwing money at problems just for the sake of buying votes), more far-left-of-center Federal Judges and Supreme Court Justices, more counter productive regulations slapped together by lawyers who have never worked on a shop floor, etc ad nauseum.

Well, personally my taxes were never cut by Bush so I don't expect them to be raised by Kerry. In fact, my state taxes went up under Bush (because federal funds for emergency services were cut) so my total tax bill has increased. But I wonder how we are expecting to pay down the deficit which is the largest in this country's history now. What are you concerned that the left wing judges and justices will do? What kind of regulations are you afraid will be 'slapped together'?

Sorry, perhaps I should start another thread.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:01 am
Tang?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:02 am
How is it your taxes weren't cut? No kids?
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:04 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Jim wrote:

Well, personally my taxes were never cut by Bush so I don't expect them to be raised by Kerry.

But your health care premiums went down, didn't they? And I am sure your income soared too, right? :wink:
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:05 am
McGentrix wrote:

As if that's any of your business?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:15 am
McGentrix wrote:

The tax cut for those with kids was not a cut but an advance on the next years child tax credit. If you don't get the credit, you don't get the advance. The advance, by the way, is considered income for state and local taxes and is taxable.
0 Replies