As the Election Nears, Sometimes I Feel Like Diogenes

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 05:37 am
As people who now me probably realize, I am torn in two about this election. I dislike both candidates, but for different reasons.

What I am attempting to do, by reading and listening, and watching, is to finally land on a "least-worst" choice. The concern that I believe is preeminent, that eclipses every other issue, is the security and safety of the US.

I saw the KerryonIraq.com documentary, early this morning. I certainly realize that, because it was produced by the Republican National Committee, it will have a obvious negative spin. It is definitely editorial, and the inclusion of the sound clip of the song, "Flipper", to me, takes away from its credibility, and seriousness of purpose.

Neverless, what IS impressive, is that the majority of this documentary includes video clips of Kerry's words, so that there can be no mistaking that what is presented, is what he has said. One might argue that some of it might be taken out of context. Probably so, to a certain extent. But I do think that the documentary is thought provoking.

Why don't you take a look, and let's discuss our reactions to the piece.

I would expect that this thread is taken in a serious fashion. I am not looking for Bush OR Kerry name calling or bashing. I see too much of that on A2K. What I would appreciate a serious discussion, on a serious matter. Thanks in advance! Very Happy

http://www.rnc.org/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,191 • Replies: 46
No top replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:08 am
Phoenix, if you had made any effort to to be informed at all, you would already know that that video is, in effect, a lie. They used a clip from Hardball and Chris Matthews is absolutely apoplectic that they used material from his show and distorted it by cutting off Kerry in mid-sentence to completely change the meaning of what he said. I am beginning to believe that you are actually a Bush supporter masquerading as as an undecided to score points against Kerry. Either that, or you are astoundingly uninformed, in which case you will probably vote for Bush anyway.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:12 am
As James Madison wrote in 1798, "The Constitution supposes what the history of all governments demonstrates, that the executive is the branch of power most interested in war, and most prone to it. It has, accordingly, with studied care, vested the question of war in the legislature." This republican legislature, in a knee-jerk reaction, transended the warnings of history by vesting responsibility for war within the one seat of power, the administration of the president. I do believe that (not unlike the Tonkin Gulf incident) the future and lives of americans everywhere are more fraught with the loss of the very basis of democracy, a carefully devised separation of powers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:29 am
Quote:
I do believe that (not unlike the Tonkin Gulf incident) the future and lives of americans everywhere are more fraught with the loss of the very basis of democracy, a carefully devised separation of powers.

dys- Oh, how I agree with that. Since the Congress is predominantly Republican, (as of now) that would be one good reason to vote for Kerry!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:33 am
Quote:
I am beginning to believe that you are actually a Bush supporter masquerading as as an undecided to score points against Kerry. Either that, or you are astoundingly uninformed, in which case you will probably vote for Bush anyway.

Harper- You haven't been around here long enough to know how I "tick".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:34 am
I made up my mind to vote against Bush from the beginning of the campaigns. I don't follow their speaches and ads particularly, because campaigning politicians rarely stick to the truth on either side. Didn't see the Dem convention, will not see the Repub convention. I only follow the political threads now because I have fun arguing a bit.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:37 am
Phoenix is obviously very confused:

On this thread he/she decries info from non-partisan sources, yet starts a thread here accepting one of the most blatantly partisan videos produced yet in this campaign as "thought-provoking! "
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:37 am
Quote:
campaigning politicians rarely stick to the truth on either side

Edgarblythe- Sad, but true.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:41 am
Quote:
Phoenix is obviously very confused:

Harper-Did you read my post at all? Did you see my caveat?????

Quote:
I saw the KerryonIraq.com documentary, early this morning. I certainly realize that, because it was produced by the Republican National Committee, it will have a obvious negative spin. It is definitely editorial, and the inclusion of the sound clip of the song, "Flipper", to me, takes away from its credibility, and seriousness of purpose.

I would suspect that this piece is about as evenhanded as the moveon articles, and Moore's documentary. I just stated that it was "interesting", and might be worthwhile to review.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:47 am
You saw f911 and you are comparing it to this piece of trash?

What specific move-on ad compares to this distortion of what Kerry's stance on Iraq is? I can't think of one.

You claim to be impartial but every post that I have read of yours questions Kerry and gives Bush a pass.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:49 am
BTW Phoenix if you really want people to believe you are impartial, 86 the Ayn Rand quote.
0 Replies

Chuckster

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:52 am
Phoenix gets extra points for talking loud and taking names...in apple green. But all that bluster and self-inflation can't hide the fact that the incumbent President is up for re-election and the alternative simply turns a darker shade of brown by the moment. The lies on top of lies, the decidedly low-class tactics, the growing career record of anti-US defamation is turning into a national embarrassment.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:01 am
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:04 am
Chuckster- Agree.

Harper:

Quote:
BTW Phoenix if you really want people to believe you are impartial, 86 the Ayn Rand quote.

Who said I was impartial? I think that both candidates suck, but in different ways. That is a given. I am just attempting to determine which one will screw up the country less.

Oh, and I really don't give a rat's ass what all people believe about me. I think that the ones who really know me, and what I am about, respect my views, even though they may be different than theirs.

Maybe you hadn't noticed, but I do happen to be an anomaly politically, and do not kowtow to any party line.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:04 am
I would just like to take a second and thank Harper for demonstrating what is wrong with liberals today. Harper is a boon to the right, keep up the good work.

Phoenix, keep up the search, hopefully you will figure it out before November. I am still waiting to see if Kerry will announce any of his cabinet positions before the elections.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:13 am
Harper wrote:
You saw f911 and you are comparing it to this piece of trash?

What specific move-on ad compares to this distortion of what Kerry's stance on Iraq is? I can't think of one.

You claim to be impartial but every post that I have read of yours questions Kerry and gives Bush a pass.

Phoenix, I don't believe you answered either question.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:15 am
Harper- I started this thread, which asked about what people thought about the RNC documentary. Period. You have turned it around, to espouse your particular political agenda. I do not plan to respond to your questions.

Did YOU read my last post, or do you like listening to the sound of your own voice?????

Quote:
Who said I was impartial? I think that both candidates suck, but in different ways. That is a given. I am just attempting to determine which one will screw up the country less.

I will say though, that the song "Flipper" applies to me. As more and more information, spin, garbage, and general nastiness emerges, I find that it is extremely difficult to make an informed decision.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:22 am
Unfortunately, this is not Eisenhower versus Stevenson, or even Carter versus Ford. What we have in this election is cancer versus heart disease.

As I see it, the voter's job in November is damage control. Which man (together with his political beliefs, and gaggle of advisors) will do the country the less harm?

We have all seen what Bush has done in his first term. I do not imagine a second Bush term would be significantly different. But I fear and tremble at the thought of a Kerry administration.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:22 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
[
Oh, and I really don't give a rat's ass what all people believe about me. I think that the ones who really know me, and what I am about, respect my views, even though they may be different than theirs.

You know, phoenix, most people don't pay attention. Sorry, I do.

You claim to hate both candidates but the only one you ever attack is Kerry and you always agreee with people who attack Kerry and disagree with those who support Bush!

So it is obvious to me where your heart is, if you enjoy the charade, just keep it up, just know that this girl ain't buying it.
0 Replies

Harper

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:24 am
Of course, phoenix can't repond to my questions because his/her stance is indefensible.
0 Replies