Look at the bright side of bathrooms per gender ID

chai2

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 11:56 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'm not kidding. The sound of some women peeing is LOUD

You got that right. I have on occassion become alarmed when I'm sitting and peeing, and the woman comes in next stall and does what sound like throwing a full bucket of water into the commode all at once. Holy smokes! Are you ok in there?

I take a diuretic, and it does nothing to the volume per second, just the length of time.

Some women sound like they have a urethrea the size of the Lincoln Tunnel.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 12:25 pm
@chai2,
So, responding to the original post on this problem of different urination sounds...

How are we going to explain to our young boys what that woman is doing in the stall beside us to make such a racket?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 12:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Actually, anyone who is a parent knows how silly this whole discussion is.

Young kids don't go to the bathroom by themselves, they go in the bathroom with whatever parent is with them at the time. Most toddlers have been in plenty of bathrooms of either gender.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 01:40 pm
@maxdancona,
But children are trained very early about gender. When our older son was 2 years old, we were at Disneyland, and he asked to go to the potty. I still remember that day.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 02:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Is 'potty' gender specific?
Mame

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 03:08 pm
It's just a matter of time, as usual, when something new is introduced or changes are made to existing habits and social norms. I don't mind using a single toilet bathroom which is gender neutral, but I must confess I'm not too comfortable using a multi-stall one. Been thinking on why that is and all I can come up with is ingrained norms. Had I been brought up with it, I'd likely think nothing of it. And I'm not even thinking of perverts... just not comfortable sharing stalls with men. I'd probably just wait till I got home or hit the nearest Starbucks of McD's for a toilet.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 03:26 pm
@Mame,
I usually remember where the toilets are in shopping centers and stores. I still remember the toilets in the Forbidden City in Beijing - in the back lot of the palace buildings.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 03:27 pm
@Mame,
I can see why in most stalls it isn't comfortable - most there are large enough gaps if you were really interested - it wouldn't be difficult to peak in at you doing your business.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 03:33 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I'd probably just wait till I got home or hit the nearest Starbucks of McD's for a toilet.

But the Starbucks or McDonalds would have the same situation.

How are they any different from other public restrooms?
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 03:38 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I can see why in most stalls it isn't comfortable - most there are large enough gaps if you were really interested - it wouldn't be difficult to peak in at you doing your business.

Maybe I'm confused as to what all this is about....

If people are going to use whatever bathroom they feel comfortable with, or use a unisex bathroom, wouldn't they all have stalls to use?

Isn't that the whole idea?

Are you saying all bathrooms need to be refitted with stalls that have less of a gap?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 04:58 pm
@Mame,
Good to see you, Mame!
Miss ya.

On the subject at hand, I'm fine with trans women or transvestites, coming into the women's restroom.

I don't know what I think re community any gender bathrooms; I'd likely get used to it fairly soon, similar to the longtime usage of men's rooms by women at ill designed venues re womens' need to find a place go - no big deal.

As I said, probably in this thread, I am used to bathrooms for one person, that person being anybody waiting to use it; no qualms.

I've designed restroom facilities for a couple of small parks/playgrounds, but that was long ago now, and they were gender separated, with exception for young children with a parent, if I remember. Not that that matters re the thread, more saying that bathroom design interests me somewhat.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 07:33 pm
@chai2,
Put it to you this way...I was using a women's restroom....while finishing up, I heard quite a loud noise of someone coming in...and could see through the gaps in the stall someone coming in and he open the stall across from me and stood and peed. It was obvious he was over served and walked in the wrong restroom.

So if it was so easy to view him what is keeping the odd creeper doing the opposite....that is why I can see the other side as well...
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 10:03 pm
@Linkat,
I see what you mean, Linkat. In other countries the stalls are completely closed off and even on top or bottom there is only a small opening, no one
could ever crawl through there.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2016 10:41 pm
@CalamityJane,
I have to say after raising teen sons and teen nephews I would sooner wear adult diapers than spend time in adjacent stalls with any of them. I love them,but they can't spend quality time with me in a bathroom, and i don't care how many toilets have been installed.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 05:22 am
The toilet police
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 10:43 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Put it to you this way...I was using a women's restroom....while finishing up, I heard quite a loud noise of someone coming in...and could see through the gaps in the stall someone coming in and he open the stall across from me and stood and peed. It was obvious he was over served and walked in the wrong restroom.

So if it was so easy to view him what is keeping the odd creeper doing the opposite....that is why I can see the other side as well...

I was being serious. Do you think all stalls should be refitted for more privacy?
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:09 am
@chai2,
Probably depends on how expensive it is.

I was listening to the radio and they brought up why isn't there just unisex bathrooms - you know ones that only one person can go into - then someone else brought into the conversation how much more expensive it would be for like larger venues - ballparks and such imagine instead of having a big trough like urinal they had to build 100 separate bathrooms.

I think something in between. Maybe have a separate one for other? Kinda like the family bathrooms they sometimes have at places so dads don't have to bring little girls into a men's room.

Not sure how that would go over though - who would want to be called an other - maybe have a couple of unisex bathrooms and then bigger men's and ladies? Unisex can be used by anyone and then gender specific is used only by the particular gender.

To be honest - I never really saw this as a particular issue - I wonder what people did before this was all brought - probably just went into whatever was more comfortable for them and no one or rarely no one I doubt said a word
engineer

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:16 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

To be honest - I never really saw this as a particular issue - I wonder what people did before this was all brought - probably just went into whatever was more comfortable for them and no one or rarely no one I doubt said a word

There is only one group that really can't do this - school kids. They are the target of these bills. Everyone (classmates, parents, teachers) knows what gender they were born as and their transitions are likely public knowledge.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:17 am
@engineer,
Yep, been reading stories about trans school kids followed to the bathroom by teacher to make sure they use the "right" one etc.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2016/0426/Transgender-teen-will-not-return-to-school-after-bathroom-suspension
Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2016 11:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
really that is a bit much -- don't you think? I think kids are more open and less concerned about such stuff; other than the usual bullies but they would find something to bully someone on.

Guess I am sheltered as I never heard of this -
0 Replies