Who do you want to win the NBA finals this year?

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 08:48 am
@sozobe,

the mid-season coaching change didn't seem to phase them much...
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:10 am
@Region Philbis,
Yeah the new guy seems to be a good fit!

And meanwhile, can't help but be happy for Curry and the amazing comeback last night (both comeback from the injury and comeback within the game). So I guess I'm now rooting for the Cavs and the Warriors and who knows who I'll root for if those two make it to the finals.

Evidently I'm fickle. (Except when it comes to the Jordan-era Bulls!)
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:15 am
@sozobe,
I will have to fill my daughter in on this win - just read it this morning - she wanted to watch but a start of 10:30 for us is a little late on a school night.

Great lesson for her on how he couldn't hit anything at the beginning of the game and wham in OT lights out.

Not to mention she is just coming back 100% this weekend (hopefully 100% she has been building up) off the same injury as Curry.
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:35 am
@Linkat,
Hope she gets to 100%!

I WISH mine had stayed with basketball. She was the first to defect, they now have a grand total of ONE (yes ONE) freshman on the HS team. Bad coaching, I guess, they're down to a skeleton crew. I think there were seven girls total on the varsity team (freshman through senior).
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:43 am
@sozobe,
Ha ha - my older moved onto softball - she still plays basketball for high school, but plays every other season --- softball. And the little one - who wanted to be a softball pitcher (Jennie Finch) - is now a big basketball player she now wants to be Steph Curry.

Funny how they switched.
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 06:45 am
@Linkat,
Is your basketball player doing school or club basketball?
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 07:10 am
@sozobe,
She does both - the school or what we call travel in middle school is just expected for you to do -- I agree with the coaching it can cause girls to leave sports. Fortunately her Club or AAU coach is great - he looks at overall development over winning as a result the team is leaps and bounds better this year and would have probably won the states if it was not for key players being injured. My daughter's injury got worse as a result of travel coach playing her too much (at least I suspect) - travel seems only focused on winning.

Our high school basketball coach is terrible. The team had incredible talent - so far 2 of the varsity players are committed to DI teams for college, another junior is looking for a D1 (might end up at a good D2), a third is a very good player capable of D1 but has bad attitude. With all that the team should have gone far, but instead fell far sort of their capabilities. I really don't want my younger daughter coached by him.
sozobe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:13 pm
@Linkat,
OK that makes sense. I was trying to figure out if you have a totally different sports schedule than we do (we have basketball in the winter and softball in the spring). But yeah travel teams are year-round.

Soccer is her main sport and a bunch of her friends do a club team, too. (Fall with the school, spring with the club.) I kind of think she should, but she's not into it. She did track but she was just a thrower so she actually is getting more exercise now that the season is over since she has time to get to the gym/ go running. (It always frustrated me that she wouldn't have time to run because she was AT TRACK PRACTICE but she said that the running track people got annoyed if people used the track just for the heck of it. And she didn't want to run this year but might try it next year, finally! Girl's got speed.)

Yeah the bad coaching thing sucks. I get it must be a hard position to fill, but too bad that so much of whether you have an amazing or crappy coach just comes down to luck.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:29 pm
@sozobe,
I like Curry and his coach, so I suppose I'm for the Warriors..
Linkat

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah he is great role model for the kids. I gave the update to my daughter when she got back from school - sort of to build her up. She hasn't played much recently because of her injuries. And pointed out to her she may not start this weekend even though she is cleared to play at 100% (just like Curry) and also pointed out not to be down on herself if her threes don't hit --- just like Curry. Keep trying and see what happens.

Just like Curry to have perfect timing for his team (and without him knowing my little one).

The only disappointing thing for her about Curry is that he is already married.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 01:41 pm
Now that the Spurs are out I'm rooting for the Thunder to win it all in an upset (will have be the hardest path to a championship if they do it).
ehBeth

Reply Sat 14 May, 2016 03:50 pm
we're stunned that the Raptors aren't out yet

it confused the local traffic planning people who closed down some major roads as they didn't anticipate the Raptors still playing at this point
Real Music

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 12:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
I hope Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook can finally get over the hump and win a championship for the Thunder. I'm not a fan of any particular team. I just hope the Thunder wins this particular year. Next year I will probably root for another team to win championship. I am rooting against Stephen Curry, Clay Thompson, Coach Steve Kerr, and the rest of the Warriors. I would prefer any team in the entire NBA to win a championship rather than the Warriors. I just don't want to the Warriors to win this particular year. A different year, maybe. Just not this year.
snood

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 11:26 am
@Real Music,
Why would the Warriors winning this year not be okay with you, if any other year would be? Would that be too much success all at once, in your estimation?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 01:25 pm
@Real Music,
I'm in a similar boat. The Warriors look like a dynasty and will win plenty so am hoping the Thunder get it this year. But I'd prefer the Warriors over the Cavs because I started following the NBA again mainly to root against LeBron.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 02:59 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Why would the Warriors winning this year not be okay with you, if any other year would be? Would that be too much success all at once, in your estimation?

My brother who happens to be a Laker fan is constantly raving about Stephen Curry this and Stephen Curry that. Clay Thompson this and Clay Thompson that. Steve Kerr this and Steve Kerr that. Splash brothers this and Splash brothers that. Breaking NBA season record this, breaking NBA season record that. For somebody who is supposed to be a hard core Laker fan he drives me up the wall constantly non-stop about how great, how unstoppable, and how perfect the Warriors are. It has gotten to the point that I can't stand the Warriors. Then to add insult to injury I have to hear that same kind of talk on television sport shows and NBA shows.

If they were to lose this year that would make their record breaking season become less significant. If you don't believe me. Remember the record breaking undefeated perfect season the New England Patriots had. You notice people don't really talk about that record breaking undefeated season. The reason is obvious. They were defeated by the New York Giants in the Super Bowl.

The reason I would have less of an issue of the Warriors winning next year or some other year, is because it probably won't happen while they are having a record breaking season. Also, all of this nauseating raving about the unstoppable unbeatable greatest team of all time Warriors probably won't be as EXCESSIVE in a different season. Especially if the season follows a season where they failed to win the championship. It would be like eating humble pie.

I would say the single biggest reason by far, more than any other reason, I despise the Warriors is because my brother won't shut up talking about them sooooooooo damn much. If it weren't for my brother, who knows just maybe I might have been rooting for the Warriors. Don't know for sure.

One side note. Completely unrelated to my dislike of the Warriors. I really do want to see Kevin Durant And Russell Westbrook finally win a championship. That great dynamic duo finally getting over the hump is something I am truly rooting for. Man, I hope the Thunder win this year.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 04:18 pm
@ehBeth,
and Toronto goes insane right now

horns are honking, neighbours are yelling
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 May, 2016 04:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
mainly to root against Lebron

this is where a fair bit of the local joy in today's win is coming from

Raptors fans still hate Lebron for his perceived role in Chris Bosh's move to Miami.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 06:04 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

we're stunned that the Raptors aren't out yet

it confused the local traffic planning people who closed down some major roads as they didn't anticipate the Raptors still playing at this point

Well that could not be more Canadian. Smile
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 16 May, 2016 06:33 pm
I want to go on record and say that, although I've been defending the Dubs here and I don't have the same antipathy against their success as some here, my heart is with KD and the Thunder. This is the first time in a LONG time him and Westbrook have been at near 100% health-wise at the same time, and they've worked real hard for a real long time. And they're the underdogs!
0 Replies