Who do you want to win the NBA finals this year?

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 03:31 am
I'm rooting for the Spurs this year. Both because I don't want Golden State to cap their historic regular season with a championship (I don't think they are better than the Bulls team whose regular-season record they beat) and because I think this is the last chance for the Tim Duncan era Spurs to win and I love that he puts the lie to the common narrative that you have to be an asshole "competitor" to win in sports (e.g. what people say to justify Kobe or Jordan). I want to see him win one more than Kobe and prove that you don't have to be a total asshole to win.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 13,647 • Replies: 186

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 04:43 am
@Robert Gentel,

anyone but cleveland...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/3he9vodjwIY/hqdefault.jpg
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 04:59 am
@Region Philbis,
My man! I started following (more or less, I don't have time to watch full games) the NBA mainly to root against Lebron when he went to Miami.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 07:02 am
@Robert Gentel,

wouldn't mind seeing the spurs win it, but don't think they can get past golden state...
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 07:11 am
I'm a self-professed homer. I'll lose interest when the Celtics are out.

But how about that game last night!
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 07:17 am
@George,

really good energy in the building last night.

we have a good nucleus, but need to add some free agents over the summer -- particularly a
shot-blocking intimidator so team's don't think they can score at will on us...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 09:49 am
Since it's looking more and more like Steph might be out long term (first with a re-injury to his surgically repaired ankle, then with a knee sprain or worse in last night's game), the Spurs' chance of winning the title went up considerably.
sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:14 am
@Region Philbis,
Hey don't be dissing LeBron! I was eh about him 'til he came back here, now I'm a huge fan.

That said I don't think they're going to win it.

I love Curry and am sad about the injuries (ankle, then knee) but I see your point, Robert, about the regular-season wins and then the championship on top of it.

So Spurs, maybe.
snood

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:23 am
Why is the Dubs getting the regular season wins record a reason to not want them to get the championship?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:27 am
@sozobe,

hey there!

i get that -- and i'd be the biggest LBJ fan if he was on the C's.

get the feeling curry's gonna miss one game only -- gut feeling...
sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:29 am
@snood,
The part about whether they're actually better than the Jordan-era Bulls. Setting the regular-season record wins would be a "yes, they're better" but not getting the championship afterwards would be a "no, they're not."

I don't actually have a strong opinion about it but while I think CURRY is amazing, I don't think Golden State is a better team than the Jordan-era Bulls. Arguable though.
sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:30 am
@Region Philbis,
Hiya! Smile

Hope he'll be back soon. No matter which team I'm rooting for, can't root for a star to be injured.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:51 am
@snood,
Yeah but I didn't want it to happen that way, I wanted the Spurs to beat them full-handed in 7 in the unofficial finals before kicking Cleveland to the curb.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:53 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Why is the Dubs getting the regular season wins record a reason to not want them to get the championship?

Because soz and I were 90s Bulls fans!

And also because I really don't think they are a better team than the 72-10 Bulls and without the championship they can't lay claim to best team of all time.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:54 am
@sozobe,
Exactly, injury is never fun. If Curry is out the postseason and they lose then they just get an unlucky asterisk. I want the Spurs to pull out a close upset because the Spurs are a legit historical team this season. Not getting to see Curry win or lose would suck.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:56 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

The part about whether they're actually better than the Jordan-era Bulls. Setting the regular-season record wins would be a "yes, they're better" but not getting the championship afterwards would be a "no, they're not."

I don't actually have a strong opinion about it but while I think CURRY is amazing, I don't think Golden State is a better team than the Jordan-era Bulls. Arguable though.

Yeah that's debatable, about whether they're better than the Jordan era Bulls. I happen to think they're not. But it seemed like y'all were rooting against them to win the championship because they won the regular season title. I didn't understand why. Are you saying you don't want them to win the title because that might give them a stronger argument to say they're the best ever?
sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:59 am
@snood,
Quote:
Are you saying you don't want them to win the title because that might give them a stronger argument to say they're the best ever?

Right!

My love for the Jordan-era Bulls is undying, and this is one more way to root for 'em. (GOAT!)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 10:59 am
Ok, I read Roberts reply late. I got it. I was a bulls fan too. Doesn't stop me from being a Dubs fan now.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 11:04 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Yeah that's debatable, about whether they're better than the Jordan era Bulls. I happen to think they're not. But it seemed like y'all were rooting against them to win the championship because they won the regular season title. I didn't understand why. Are you saying you don't want them to win the title because that might give them a stronger argument to say they're the best ever?

Yeah, I was rooting for them last year and only started rooting against them as they closed in on the Bull's record. Still a fan of what they are doing too, it's amazing but I just want my Bull's team to hold their crown is all and I think they might win several of the next championships while the Spurs have a closing window in the Duncan era (though they seem to be set to be decent in the future this is the best they've ever been).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2016 11:09 am
@snood,
Yeah and I might still get there. It's all kind of unformed at the moment. First choice is Cavs but I don't think they'll actually make it. I HATED Golden State after last year's finals (grr) for a little while, then came around. Love Kerr (90's Bulls!) and Curry and just enjoy their small ball/ three-pointer game. Tim Duncan fan too (40?! Dang.)
0 Replies