Who do you want to win the NBA finals this year?

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 10:01 am
@snood,
https://streamable.com/p8vg

On the replay (not initial angle) you can see him tap Lebron's balls when Lebron steps over him and flail the arm out again afterwards. Not much compared to his other ball shots, and Lebron threw him down and stepped over him disrespectfully but it was yet another Draymond nut shot.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 07:06 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
Dang, Drayvon Green! Something must be wrong with this guy to be trying to hit people in the nuts. That could cause some serious injury - leave alone pain.

Yeah, it just keeps being a thing. His denials become less convincing every time he has to issue one. (AGAIN with the nuts, man?)

That said I view this the same as Steph Curry's injury -- I'm rooting for the Cavs but I don't want an asterisk by any win. I'd rather the Warriors had a full roster at full strength.

Cavs aren't gonna win though anyway.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2016 07:14 pm
I'm glad Love has healed enough to be back in the lineup, but, ugh.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 06:41 am
@sozobe,
sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2016 08:10 am
@tsarstepan,
"handing out free birth control" ha!

Meanwhile I'm unconvinced that last night's win means anything re: the series as a whole, but, ya know, we'll see.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 07:36 am
Well!

This has gone longer than I expected.

I couldn't watch the game last night, just snippets and then recaps this morning. What do you guys think of the officiating?
snood

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 07:41 am
@sozobe,
The answers to that question will probably vary according to one's allegiance. But I'll just say that every playoff season it gets easier and easier to believe the rumors of fixes being put in to milk the event for revenue.
sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 09:37 am
@snood,
That's fair. Was it just blatantly awful, though, or questionable calls that partisans could reasonably disagree on? I haven't seen enough to make that determination myself.
snood

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 10:29 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

That's fair. Was it just blatantly awful, though, or questionable calls that partisans could reasonably disagree on? I haven't seen enough to make that determination myself.

It's hard to say with any certainty, I think someone could make a case using game film that there is sometimes a crooked effort to prolong the series by bolstering one team's chances with ricky-tick fouls called on the other team.
sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:34 am
@snood,
Got it, thanks.

My certainty that the Warriors would win this has wavered a little bit, due to injuries (Bogut is a big loss, in both senses, and evidently Iguodala is not 100%) and also how mentally rattled they seem to be.

I don't know what I think about rigging. I think it's very possible that refs are urged to make things as "competitive" as possible. But even with ticky-tack fouls being called, you can't rig the way LeBron's shots were falling.

Hope the referees are spotless in game 7 so no matter what the final score is, it's about how the teams played and nothing else.
snood

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 11:40 am
@sozobe,
The main problem I had with the officiating in game 6 was the way they let the Cavs grab and hold jerseys every time Stef or Klay crossed through the lane. Slashing and cutting is a huge part of the way they free up their offense, and if they're allowed to be fouled that way with impunity, it's a major disadvantage.

As far as the game Sunday night - I just hope it's a good, hard fought game and if the refs are going to look the other way and let them play, I just want them to look the other way on both ends of the court and not blow the whistle every time LeBron gets touched.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 12:40 pm
@sozobe,
Seth tried to curry favor from the refs, tried to get some bogus foul calls his way but they were having none of it.
They did a good job in game 6
I swear. NBA refs have the toughest job in pro sports
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2016 12:58 pm
@sozobe,
Some of Steph's fouls were ticky-tacky but the Warriors were getting beat badly and the calls didn't make the difference. But I agree that the Warriors are getting held off ball without it being called while some dubious reach ins were called on the Warriors.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:25 pm
Yep! ABC, 8 PM EST.
Glennn

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:30 pm
@sozobe,
Thanks sozobe. I deleted my post because I just heard it was going to be on while watching my local ABC news.

I've got chips and ice cream and game seven. It's a good night.
sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 04:31 pm
@Glennn,
Hopefully! My hopes keep getting up re: Cavs and then my rational side kicks in and says nahhhhhh. But that would be pretty awesome.
sozobe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 09:00 pm
@sozobe,
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was amazing!!!!

That block! That 3-pointer! That horrible fall and then getting up and taking the free throw shots anyway? (HOW was that not a broken wrist?) Not to mention being the first in history to come back from a 3-1 deficit.

DANG. Happy to be an Ohioan tonight. Congrats Cavs!
Real Music

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2016 09:27 pm
Although , I am not a fan of any particular NBA team, I was rooting for Cleveland to beat Golden State. I am sooooo happy that Cleveland won the NBA championship this year. When Cleveland was down 3-1 in the series, I thought the series was over and that Golden State was going to win the championship.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 05:11 pm
@Real Music,
I was an inveterate UCLA and NBA (not always the Lakers, unless Kareem was there) fan, but I've wandered away in recent years as NBA needs a tv screen for most fun absorption. I did get so far as to be for the Warriors.

Here's a recent Warrior-local news piece -
http://www.sfexaminer.com/riley-curry-helps-steph-keep-loss-perspective/

I'll just copy the whole thing, which I don't usually do, but it's short with a good photo + I list creds:
http://s79f01z693v3ecoes3yyjsg1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/riley.jpg
Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry, left, watches his daughter Riley as she examines his wax figure by Madame Tussauds earier this year. Riley helped her dad put his NBA Finals loss in perspective.
(AP Photo/Eric Risberg)

By Jacob C. Palmer on June 20, 2016 11:45 pm

The Golden State Warriors’ practice facility on Monday was not an upbeat place.

After meeting with general manager Bob Myers for their respective exit interviews, Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green faced the media. They spoke of avoiding their TVs and how badly they wished to not be in their current predicament.

“To sit and dwell on it, that’s not going to do anything for me,” Green said. “I’m not going to sit and throw a pity party for myself or my teammates or anybody else. We were a minute away from winning a championship. We had a 3-1 lead, we had all the opportunities in the world we needed. Got to take your hat off to [the Cavs]. They fought, they battled and they took the series. It’s nothing to sit around and cry about.”

(Green won’t have the time to sit around and do much of anything as he committed to playing for Team USA in the upcoming Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, according to a report from The Undefeated.)

But once again, Curry’s 3-year old daughter, Riley, stole the show.

Well, the photo was earlier, so that part is rather manufactured, but, still I get the basic point.
sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2016 05:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I went looking for how Riley stole the show (that part didn't get copied over), AW:

Quote:
“I had a moment. I told Riley, ‘We didn’t win,’” Curry said. “She looked at me and was like, ‘I know. It’s OK.’”

Adorable daughters ftw. (For parity, here's LeBron'sSmile

http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2016_25/1132426/lebron-james-daughter-zhuri-today-tease-160620_a7489bc40c951beafdc3587caf8567b8.today-inline-large.jpg