The differences

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:42 pm
Hi..

1) Complete and explain:

_ We've got presents .......you. ( to / for ).

_ He was.......on the floor. ( lying / laying ).

_ He used the crowbar to hook........the windo sill. ( into / onto )

_ He pulled himself......the walkway. ( up / off ).

_ He buried his hands ......the snow. ( into / in ).

_ He continued to climb up......his barefeet . ( in / with ).

_ He walked barefooted.........the snow covered backyard. ( in / on / across )

_ The glue covered wrapping plastic sticked........his face. ( to / in / on ).

_ He ........over the rope. ( tripped / stumbled/ fell).

_ He ........down with his barefeet on the ornament glass. ( stepped / stomped )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 723 • Replies: 13
No top replies

navigator

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:43 pm
I know..I am cool Cool
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:56 pm
You certainly are, navigator. I think I'll wait untill tomorrow to answer your questions though, so that I can give them the attention they deserve (I'm rather tired at the moment so I wouldn't be much help anyway).

Later!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 07:37 am
We've got presents for you. - One may give a present to another person, but in this case you are saying that they have presents which are intended for the other person.

He was lying on the floor. - Many Americans will say laying, however, to say that one is laying something down means that they are in the act of laying something down, not that it is already in a horizontal position, a confusing idiosyncracy.

He used the crowbar to hook onto the window sill. - Into implies penetrating or placing something inside something else.

He pulled himself ...... the walkway - I'm afraid I can't answer this until I know what the walkway is and its position.

He buried his hands in the snow

He continued to climb up with (remove "his") bare feet (two words) - This is a little clumsy. I would re-word it to say, "Barefooted, he continued to climb," or, "He continued to climb though his feet were bare"

He walked barefooted across the the snow covered backyard. - It just sounds better this way Smile

The glue covered wrapping plastic stuck (not sticked) to his face. - Well it's not in his face (unless he's eating it, I suppose Laughing )! You could say it stuck on his face, but it sounds awkward.

He ..... over the rope. - All of these options are acceptable, it's up to you which word you'd like to use.

He ..... down with his bare feet (again, two words) on the ornament(al?) glass. I can't really answer this unless you tell me the context, 'stepped' and 'stomped' both work in the sentence, but they change it's meaning accordingly.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 11:38 am
Hi..thanks fortune. I meant the walkway in front of a house door.

I
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:30 pm
By the way, what do they say in christmas carols?.I heard them once and that was cool.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:33 pm
That would be called a foot path, in which case the selection of "up" or "off" would change the meaning of the sentence. To say he pulled himself off the foot path would be to say that he left the footh path.

To say that he pulled himself up the foot path would mean that he pulled himself along the length of the path.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 12:34 pm
Christmas carols? Which Christmas carol?
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:32 am
Aren't they carols? songs performed by choir during Christmas.Maybe I'm wrong.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 11:21 am
Yes, Christmas songs are called carols. I'm just not sure what you wanted to know about them. Smile
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:28 pm
the lyrics performed, if possible.I couldn't understand them.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 01:36 pm
Well, if you can name a carol, I might be able to tell you what its lyrics are.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 04:25 pm
I'll try.Thanks fotrune
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 08:20 am
I couldn't really understand them.I don't know if anyone does.Thanks fortune :wink:
0 Replies