2004 Darwin awards

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 09:48 am
Edit [Moderator]: Moved from General to Humor.

2004 Darwin Awards: The Darwin Awards honor people who did the "gene pool" the most service by killing themselves in the most extraordinarily stupid way.

The candidates this year are:

+ Police in Windsor, Ontario said Daniel Kolta, 27, and Randy Taylor, 33, died in a head-on collision, thus earning a tie in the game of chicken they were playing with their Snowmobiles.

+ In Detroit, a 41-year-old man got stuck and drowned in two feet of water after squeezing head first through an 18-inch-wide sewer grate to retrieve his car keys.

+ A 49-year-old San Francisco stockbroker, who, "totally zoned when he ran," accidentally jogged off a 100-foot-high cliff on his daily run.

+ Buxton, NC: A man died on a beach when an
8-foot-deep hole he had dug into the sand caved in as he sat inside it. Beach-goers said Daniel Jones, 21, dug the hole for fun, or protection from the wind, and had been sitting in a beach chair at the bottom Thursday afternoon when it collapsed, burying him beneath 5 feet of sand. It took rescue workers using heavy equipment almost an hour to free him while about 200 people looked on. Jones was pronounced dead at a hospital.

+ Santiago Alvarado, 24, was killed in Lompoc, CA, as he fell face-first through the ceiling of bicycle shop he was burglarizing. Death was caused when the long flashlight he had placed in his mouth (to keep his hands free) rammed into the base of his skull as he hit the floor.

+ According to police in Dahlonega, GA, ROTC cadet Nick Berrena, 20, was stabbed to death in January by fellow cadet Jeffrey Hoffman, 23, who was trying to prove that a knife could not penetrate the flak vest Berrena was wearing.

+ Paul Stiller, 47, was hospitalized in Andover Township, NJ, and his wife Bonnie was also injured, when a quarter-stick of dynamite blew up in their car. While driving around at 2 AM, the bored couple lit the dynamite and tried to toss it out the window to see what would happen, but apparently failed to notice the window was closed.

+ TACOMA, WA: Kerry Bingham had been drinking with several friends when one of them said they knew a person who had bungee-jumped from the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in the middle of traffic. The conversation grew more heated and at least 10 men trooped along the walkway of the bridge at 4:30 am. Upon arrival at the midpoint of the bridge they discovered that no one had brought a bungee rope. Bingham, who had continued drinking, volunteered and pointed out that a coil of lineman's cable lay nearby. One end of the cable was secured around Bingham's leg and the other end was tied to the bridge. His fall lasted 40 feet before the cable tightened and tore his foot off at the ankle. He miraculously survived his fall into the icy river water and was rescued by two nearby fishermen. "All I can say "said Bingham, "is that God was watching out for me on that night." Bingham's foot was never located.

+ AND THE WINNER:

Overzealous zookeeper Friedrich Riesfeldt (Paderborn, Germany) fed his constipated elephant Stefan 22 doses of animal laxative and more than a bushel of berries, figs and prunes before the plugged-up pachyderm finally let it fly. Investigators say Friedrich, 46, was attempting to give the ailing elephant an olive oil enema when the relieved beast unloaded on him.

"The sheer force of the elephant's unexpected defecation knocked Mr. Riesfeldt to the ground, where he struck his head on a rock and lay unconscious as the elephant continued to evacuate his bowels on top of him" said flabbergasted Paderborn police detective Erik Dern. With no one there to help him, he lay under all that dung for at least an hour before a watchman came along. During that time he suffocated.

This accident gives new meaning to the old expression "**** happens."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,070 • Replies: 15
No top replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:10 am
Oh Gawd!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:36 am
Bloody hell! Who'd have thought that that were possible?

0 Replies

Abra

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:45 am
hahahaha oh my god thats sooo horible!!!!!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 10:47 am
Thanks Au, I look forward to these all year long
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:05 am
You have to wonder if maybe the elephant secretly enjoyed it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:10 am
Given the elephant's condition before the explosion, I'm sure it did!
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:28 am
You know, most Aggies hate the Darwin awards.

They were listed for one when they had several people killed in that Bonfire accident.

Apparently it's not funny to laugh at deaths, yet these same people will laugh when it isn't about "Aggies."

Always makes me laugh to hear them gripe about it, when they find humor in similar things.

BTW, I'm an Aggie so don't be too cruel in your Aggie insults Wink
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:31 am
A quick recap for those that don't know a horned toad from an aggie
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:37 am
I'll bite, what's an Aggie?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:50 am
A Texas A&M student, no?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:51 am
People raised on farms?

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 11:51 am
Yeah but a tragedy befell the campus...
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 12:00 pm
This is NOT how it played out (quote below) but thought I'd post it anyway.

Our school is known for having the biggest bonfires ever for college football. We do this every year.

Quote:
John Hawkins: Other than over Owen Hart, did you have any other major protests?

Darwin: Yeah thousands of emails a day were stuffing my inbox over the Texas A&M Bonfire fiasco. It was brutal. I would be afraid to meet most of those Aggies in a dark alley. They were mad. Shall I be specific, Brass? Can I call you Brass?

John Hawkins: Actually, John, John Hawkins, Archie..anything but Brass...well almost anything =] Was that the one where those nimnods were dancing around a bonfire and fell in... and do be specific =]

Darwin: Those were the nimrods, righto, they were apparently drinking and carrying on. Unlicensed drivers on bulldozers. Sex. You name it. But you know the architects in the Engineering school thought it would be safe. The kids were working overtime and getting a buzz, but had no reason to think the bonfire would collapse on them. So in the end I made the call that it wasn't a Darwin. And it was really an impartial decision. But I am glad the fellow with the rusty spoon can't get it anywhere near my testicles, for he said what he would do.

John Hawkins: Testicles?

Darwin: Ha ha ha...little knowing I don't even *have* testicles! I'm Darwinia. With a flower. Power. Girl.

http://www.rightwingnews.com/interviews/darwin.php

This next part is from http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/05/02/bonfire.collapse.02/

Quote:
Twelve people were killed and 27 others were hurt after thousands of logs collapsed on November 18, 1999

Quote:
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Last November's collapse of a stack of bonfire logs at Texas A&M was due to several physical and organizational factors, but there is no evidence that student drinking or fatigue played a role in the accident that killed 12 people and injured 27 others, according to a report released Tuesday.

The logs were to be burned for what's billed as the "world's largest bonfire," an event that draws thousands to the College Station campus on the eve of A&M's annual football game against its archrival, the University of Texas. The bonfire has been a 90-year tradition at the school.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 04:47 pm
Don't know where that elephant story is from but(t) it's an old one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:00 pm
It said Paderborn (or something like that) a German city. Walter would know... I think it is in his area.
0 Replies