• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 858 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 03:37 am
Hi, navigator!

1) These words technically don't have much of a difference but in actual usage the tendency (note this is only a tendency, not a rule) is to use shudder to denote a negative experience while quiver is more of a positive experience, ie "The ugliness of the thing made me shudder," compared to, "the expectation left me quivering." Like I said, this is not a hard and fast rule

2) A chuckle is a pleasant sort of deep throated laugh, to cluck is to make a noise like a chicken, not a flattering way to describe someones laugh!

3) Nothing, they are entirely synonymous.

4) Once again, no difference, they are synonymous.

5) Well I'm not a smoker so I can't give you a technical description or account of comparitive taste ( Laughing ) but a cigar is generally large and brown (and the best ones are said to be made in Cuba) where a cigarette is small and usually white (there is some room for differentiation in colour though, I've even seen pink and purple ones!)

6) "You may decide by youself" implies that the one deciding will actually be physically alone when they make their decision. "You may decide for yoursel" would simply mean that the decision must be made without aid from others.

Hope that helped! Smile
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 06:59 am
But , we can use chuckle for chickens sound , right Laughing .Does this mean that by and for are the same in ( by yourself-for yourself ) but by yourself implies implementing the thing decided physically ?or Am I starting to get old and mixing stuff?!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:06 am
You could say that a chicken chuckled... if you really liked chickens and wanted to flatter them. I wouldn't. Laughing

To clarify, in number 6, the first option implies that the person will be left by themself while they decide (as in they will be left alone in a room until they have decided) while the second implies that the person must simply use their own judgement to decide.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2004 07:31 am
Thanks buddy Cool
0 Replies

Tonyoung

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 03:31 am
To forturn,
I am not quite sure about your explanation for the second one.
I am not a English nativer speaker,but I think the second one indicate that the decision you made only work on yourself not on others.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 06:50 am
Welcome to A2K, Tonyoung, and good point. To say that one may decide for oneself most often means that the decision applies only to the person deciding, it depends largely on context.

This does not precludes my earlier distinction between the two options, "by yourself" still implies physical isolation, not so for "for youself".
0 Replies

Tonyoung

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 08:55 pm
Thanks for your welcoming and your kind responding.
May I say that"'the former example shows that' with some other's help,the decision made by him alone while others might wait for him outside of the place' ,the latter shows that 'without anyone's help,you have to make the decision alone.
Is this descirption clear?More detailed response are welcomed.
Thanks anyway.
Tony :wink: :wink: :wink:
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2004 09:47 pm
fortune's explanations are all good, but there is more of a difference between quiver and shudder i think

shudder means a bit more violent, quiver means a bit more tentative

a lip quivers before crying
a leaf quivers in the wind
an unsure hand quivers before picking

a body violently shudders in convulsions
the ground shudders in an earthquake
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 12:25 am
Hi stuh , you are something in your explanation :wink:

Can I say this : quiver for a short time but shuuder maybe a bit longer.

( correct my grammar and writing above if I'm mistaken )..
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 07:01 pm
Quote:
Can I say this : quiver for a short time but shuuder maybe a bit longer.

no not really, there is no indication of duration
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:11 am
Tonyoung, you pretty much have it right. The only thing I would point out is that the use of the word 'may' means that the sentence is not a command, it is rather a statement of ability or a granting of permission, ie 'you may do something' as opposed to 'you must do something'.
0 Replies